An email I got from YEA

however that email went out to a lot more than DCP. I know a few band directors that saw it that now question their involvement with USSBA.

Ouch.

Then why question the motivations of the OP in posting it, the way he did?

I just find the "We did nothing wrong, but if you think it's wrong, then how come you're just as wrong as we are? Huh? Huh?" attitude he displayed to be somewhat hilarious.

well, Hop has always had a viewpoint of "if you're with us, you're with us, and if not you're wrong" type of approach. even when he admits to things, he still defends his actions as best he can, and I see this as the same time of approach.

Its too bad someone had to make this MORE public than it already was

I've seen this sentiment a few times, and honestly, I've got to ask: Why?

Note, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment. I'm just curious as to what the motivation should have been to keep it "private" (in that "private" means "known to a crap load of people already, just not as many as if it was posted on DCP")?

yeah, like YEA for mass emailing it and it going out to several news sites online

What if the original post was edited as follows? Would this thread have taken this same course? Would we be demanding the guilty parties be identified and punished? Or would the few replies simply state that it was an unprofessional communication to send, and that we (as a community) hope that the persons responsible have been made aware, and are moving to correct the issue. Not as juicy, but would have made the point without calling anyone out.

The edited post:

I got this email a few weeks ago (from a DCI member corps) and I've been sitting on it, as I was rather troubled trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I sent an email to the corps asking about it, but I received no response. I will reserve my comments on this at the moment, but since a somewhat different version of the same announcement appeared on the corps website at approximately the same time, I thought it important that people see this version as well.

Comments?

Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:40:15 -0500 (CDT)

Reply-To: ########### CFO" <#####@#######.org>

To: #######@###.###

Subject: Hasty departure leaves corps looking for bookkeeper

Corps Searches for Bookkeeper in the WAKE of Staff Member's

Immediate Departure to London

Our Drum and Bugle Corps has just recently lost their bookkeeper due to her decision to return to London immediately, without notice. To say the team was displeased is a bit of an understatement. According to the corps CFO, our previous bookkeeper (first name here) was good and getting better. We had provided a good bit of training, she understood the activity, and she was a good team member. BUT, there is no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old. As our corps director will say, "it is a part of doing business as a non-profit. You hire young and hope for the best. But boyfriends, family, school, and opportunity are all out there in the world and it is possible that we will lose some of the people we love.'"

We are looking for a bookkeeper/accountant with superior operational and technical experience to assist in the fiscal management of the entire organization. And we need you soon! In fact our start date is July 8th!

Are you up to the challenge?

The Ideal Candidate will have:

* Solid analytical and organizational skills

* Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks

* An eye to the future, the ability to learn new accounting

systems

* An attention to detail and the ability to work well under

pressure

* A desire to work in an environment that provides amazing

opportunities to young people

* A bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent

related work experience

Job Responsibilities Include:

* Billing member bands and students for fees

* Analyzing and posting payments and credits from bands, band

parent associations

* Event settlements for special events and bad events

* Processing related payroll and accounts payable functions

* Completing and ensuring accuracy of daily paperwork

* Seasonal onsite participation in band contests and corps shows

* Support current finance department staff with various functions,

including but not limited to:

* Vendor payables

* Payroll

* Cash Receipts

* Budget Management

Work schedules do vary but, being critical to corps operations, this position will require working Saturday and Saturday evenings from mid September through mid November as we are many times on the road at various events.

This organization offers a comparable salary and benefits package, including medical insurance, a contributory retirement plan, organizational paid vacations as well as standard vacation and related leave and the opportunity to work in a environment that makes a difference to literally thousands of kids.

This can be more than a job! Working for This organization can be a way of life; a way to contribute; a way to make a difference.

Normal hours at the office are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and this position does require attendance at our office. The position is open immediately but we do have the ability to work with the right candidates. Again, July 8th is the goal!

Please send your resume and letter of interest to #############, VP of Finance, at #######@#####.org

And one more thing from the corps director ...

We have had some bad luck with this position! We have had a few different people here and from the high potential to the phenomenal start but no one seems to stick! We believe the room is haunted so, we are going to have a vigil one evening to rid the bookkeepers office of

evil spirits!

SO, love the activity; have a fiscal background? This is for you!

Oh, and if you are wondering, pay here in the past has been $30K to $40K. It's perfect for the 24 year old who wants to work hard and move up! And hey, you can get free tickets, a drum corps ticket or two, and you get to hang out with drummers all day!

Send us your resume today!!

I've seen this sentiment a few times, and honestly, I've got to ask: Why?

Note, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the sentiment. I'm just curious as to what the motivation should have been to keep it "private" (in that "private" means "known to a crap load of people already, just not as many as if it was posted on DCP")?

Here's the way I look at this:

If someone had posted a similar thread in the General Off-Topic Forum -- something along the lines of "look what my company sent out for a position we have available", or "look at this job posting I saw while searching the net today" or whatever, I would have responded in much the same way I have here -- giving advice as to what could be problematic about the approach. (Edit: to Bob J one post up -- I guarantee you that my posts would have been exactly the same, although I agree that there may have been fewer of them as the thread would have died quicker -- see next paragraph ....)

Now, granted, this being the World Class Forum and all, certain corps names and certain corps director names are always going to (a) elicit a negative hyperbolic response because of who they are, and/or (b) elicit a defensive hyperbolic response of "well this is just bashing because of who they are." :thumbup:

As always, the good stuff falls in between and gets lost!!! I think that whether this posting was YEA or some random company, there is some benefit to airing mistakes and learning from them for all of us, that's all.

The rest of it can be ignored if you so choose.

Edited by Liam

yeah, like YEA for mass emailing it and it going out to several news sites online

Just cause 1 person makes a mistake, doesnt mean that it should be reposted for everyone else to see.

And it is not the same Email I got.

What if the original post was edited as follows? Would this thread have taken this same course? Would we be demanding the guilty parties be identified and punished? Or would the few replies simply state that it was an unprofessional communication to send, and that we (as a community) hope that the persons responsible have been made aware, and are moving to correct the issue. Not as juicy, but would have made the point without calling anyone out.

The edited post:

I got this email a few weeks ago (from a DCI member corps) and I've been sitting on it, as I was rather troubled trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I sent an email to the corps asking about it, but I received no response. I will reserve my comments on this at the moment, but since a somewhat different version of the same announcement appeared on the corps website at approximately the same time, I thought it important that people see this version as well.

Comments?

Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:40:15 -0500 (CDT)

Reply-To: ########### CFO" <#####@#######.org>

To: #######@###.###

Subject: Hasty departure leaves corps looking for bookkeeper

Corps Searches for Bookkeeper in the WAKE of Staff Member's

Immediate Departure to London

Our Drum and Bugle Corps has just recently lost their bookkeeper due to her decision to return to London immediately, without notice. To say the team was displeased is a bit of an understatement. According to the corps CFO, our previous bookkeeper (first name here) was good and getting better. We had provided a good bit of training, she understood the activity, and she was a good team member. BUT, there is no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old. As our corps director will say, "it is a part of doing business as a non-profit. You hire young and hope for the best. But boyfriends, family, school, and opportunity are all out there in the world and it is possible that we will lose some of the people we love.'"

We are looking for a bookkeeper/accountant with superior operational and technical experience to assist in the fiscal management of the entire organization. And we need you soon! In fact our start date is July 8th!

Are you up to the challenge?

The Ideal Candidate will have:

* Solid analytical and organizational skills

* Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks

* An eye to the future, the ability to learn new accounting

systems

* An attention to detail and the ability to work well under

pressure

* A desire to work in an environment that provides amazing

opportunities to young people

* A bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent

related work experience

Job Responsibilities Include:

* Billing member bands and students for fees

* Analyzing and posting payments and credits from bands, band

parent associations

* Event settlements for special events and bad events

* Processing related payroll and accounts payable functions

* Completing and ensuring accuracy of daily paperwork

* Seasonal onsite participation in band contests and corps shows

* Support current finance department staff with various functions,

including but not limited to:

* Vendor payables

* Payroll

* Cash Receipts

* Budget Management

Work schedules do vary but, being critical to corps operations, this position will require working Saturday and Saturday evenings from mid September through mid November as we are many times on the road at various events.

This organization offers a comparable salary and benefits package, including medical insurance, a contributory retirement plan, organizational paid vacations as well as standard vacation and related leave and the opportunity to work in a environment that makes a difference to literally thousands of kids.

This can be more than a job! Working for This organization can be a way of life; a way to contribute; a way to make a difference.

Normal hours at the office are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and this position does require attendance at our office. The position is open immediately but we do have the ability to work with the right candidates. Again, July 8th is the goal!

Please send your resume and letter of interest to #############, VP of Finance, at #######@#####.org

And one more thing from the corps director ...

We have had some bad luck with this position! We have had a few different people here and from the high potential to the phenomenal start but no one seems to stick! We believe the room is haunted so, we are going to have a vigil one evening to rid the bookkeepers office of

evil spirits!

SO, love the activity; have a fiscal background? This is for you!

Oh, and if you are wondering, pay here in the past has been $30K to $40K. It's perfect for the 24 year old who wants to work hard and move up! And hey, you can get free tickets, a drum corps ticket or two, and you get to hang out with drummers all day!

Send us your resume today!!

i am sure people would be calling for names

Just cause 1 person makes a mistake, doesnt mean that it should be reposted for everyone else to see.

And it is not the same Email I got.

Just ask Sarah Palin, Joe Biden, Dan Quayle - should I go on? :thumbup: