An email I got from YEA

True, but isn't the OP doing the same thing that the person who sent the email did? Making it public record? What purpose did it serve to send this email to people outside the organization? And what purpose did it serve to post this email on a site like this?

Disclaimer: As always with most of my posts, this first bit of this is personal opinion and not anything regarding any "official" DCP policy.

The e-mail was already sent to people outside the organization . . .the OP is not affiliated with YEA.

Further to the larger issue at hand (IMO), DCP, or "sites like this" are what content that the members choose to make of it (i.e., the users are the content here on the forum) . . .nothing more, nothing less.

I don't speak for Tristan or DCP in general (see above) . . .but I look at it like this: people choose to talk about all facets of the activity here. Most of the time, that includes the performances and people who make this activity worth following. However, sometimes things that aren't so glamorous, like what happened with the Spartans in Open Class, or this kind of thing with YEA! also make it to light on here.

Drum corps is much, much more than what we see on the field. Between the threads about "Best 3rd Trumpet of 1977" and "Who Has The Cutest DM Butt", every once in a while . . .we look at something different here that isn't necessarily positive about our activity. That's all this is. :cool:

Now, then, DCP moderator hat on . . .

There's always the option of reporting threads like these if you feel they violate the Terms of Service and Community Guidelines here. Report the offending post and the Community Administrator will be glad to take a look at it. :tongue:

you've already convicted yea! in the court of public opinion by using the term "lawsuit," when in fact such a suit would never even be filed. ethical rules prohibit lawyers from signing frivolous complaints -- which this most certainly would be. there is exactly a 0% chance of that ever happening.

Boy could I introduce you to a lawyer in Central PA. He definitely wouldn't win the case, he probably wouldn't get the case filed, but by God he would milk the crap out of it for publicity until it was denied. And if the full name of this person was listed or if the name was general knowledge to people who received the email this could be considered an attack on the persons professionalism. If this was an internal memo it would be one thing but this was sent to the public.

And just shaking my head over people concerned about "bad publicity". If bringing out facts bring upon bad publicity and whatever, don't shoot the messenger..... If Tristan or whoever wanted to make YEA look bad, he could have posted it soon as he got it. My impression is he agonized over how to do the right thing. Only one at fault here is YEA for having someone stupid enough to send this. And stupid enough not to reply when asked about it. I can see sending a nastygram when upset (done it myself) but to IGNORE inquiries about it is the height of.... well stupidity is the word that keeps coming up. Especially if the people who got this email (and asked for clarification) donate to the corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

i thought for a while about responding. i certainly don't mean to get into a legal fight with anybody, and it is off topic.

you've already convicted yea! in the court of public opinion by using the term "lawsuit," when in fact such a suit would never even be filed. ethical rules prohibit lawyers from signing frivolous complaints -- which this most certainly would be. there is exactly a 0% chance of that ever happening.

it is disingenuous to say "well, they cooooooooould find themselves on the wrong end of a complaint," when that is a legal impossibility since literally NO lawyer -- at least none that i know/work with -- would touch that case with a ten foot pole.

the "lawsuit" bit is a great way to draw the implication among the public that someone has done something wrong, and you've used it marvelously, despite the facts/law.

----------

back on topic:

YES, unprofessional.

YES, poor taste.

YES, need someone good to proof their stuff.

absolutely.

JMO, but if she was 'harmed' by the email - that is, finds herself blackballed and/or unable to find or is denied employment because of it - then she would have legal recourse.

But given that she left the states, seemingly on her own accord and we can presume with employment prospects intact, I doubt she will consider it, or even care at this point.

I agree on the flavor of the email - they would be hard pressed to find quality, experienced and loyal applicants right now if anyone worth their salt would see how they handle their staff.

what if it was due to a family emergency?

Disclaimer: As always with most of my posts, this first bit of this is personal opinion and not anything regarding any "official" DCP policy.

The e-mail was already sent to people outside the organization . . .the OP is not affiliated with YEA.

Further to the larger issue at hand (IMO), DCP, or "sites like this" are what content that the members choose to make of it (i.e., the users are the content here on the forum) . . .nothing more, nothing less.

I don't speak for Tristan or DCP in general (see above) . . .but I look at it like this: people choose to talk about all facets of the activity here. Most of the time, that includes the performances and people who make this activity worth following. However, sometimes things that aren't so glamorous, like what happened with the Spartans in Open Class, or this kind of thing with YEA! also make it to light on here.

Drum corps is much, much more than what we see on the field. Between the threads about "Best 3rd Trumpet of 1977" and "Who Has The Cutest DM Butt", every once in a while . . .we look at something different here that isn't necessarily positive about our activity. That's all this is. :cool:

Now, then, DCP moderator hat on . . .

There's always the option of reporting threads like these if you feel they violate the Terms of Service and Community Guidelines here. Report the offending post and the Community Administrator will be glad to take a look at it. :tongue:

I know that the OP is not affiliated with the YEA org. What I was saying was why did YEA feel the need to send an email like that to people outside of the YEA organization. And I was also saying I didn't understand why the OP felt the need to put an email like that on a site like this when we all know how most people on this site try to find everything wrong with the YEA org. Trust me, I think it was a horrible email to be sent, no matter what organization it was. But I also feel there was no real purpose to posting it on a site like this. I see there are people on this thread who say they also received the same email, but they didn't feel the need to post it on here.

Personally, I would have called the YEA organization to voice my opinion on that email and tell them how distasteful I thought it was and hope they correct the situation (actually, I think I may do that anyway), but that's just me. I make no apologies for what I am saying. I don't think it's right for YEA to send such a disrespectful email. I also don't think it's right for this email to end up on this site. My personal opinion.

what if it was due to a family emergency?

What if it was because she got her head chopped off and the only doctor that could save her life was in England?

Oh right, YEA would probably be aware of the circumstances and be a lot more understanding.

They shouldn't have said that in the email, however, I bet that this is a pretty busy time of the year for YEA for some reason, so maybe sending a response to someone complaining about what they said just slipped through the cracks? I just don't see what is gained by posting it on DCP to rile up the mob

The original point was to see if anyone else thought the way he did about the e-mail and see if his reaction was justified.

The new point, IMO, is to get more people to ask for an apology or explanation. One is clearly due. This was not a private thing. Mass e-mails are not private. This shows the words to the only people it matter to, the dci community. Instead of half a dozen e-mail to YEA going "WTF mate" you might now get a couple dozen. Seems to make complete sense to me.

i thought for a while about responding. i certainly don't mean to get into a legal fight with anybody, and it is off topic.

it is disingenuous to say "well, they cooooooooould find themselves on the wrong end of a complaint," when that is a legal impossibility since literally NO lawyer -- at least none that i know/work with -- would touch that case with a ten foot pole.

the "lawsuit" bit is a great way to draw the implication among the public that someone has done something wrong, and you've used it marvelously, despite the facts/law.

----------

back on topic:

YES, unprofessional.

YES, poor taste.

YES, need someone good to proof their stuff.

absolutely.

Besides being rather dismissive, that’s really just your opinion and I generally think it’s wrong. With regards to labor laws and what former employers are allowed to say about their past employees, more so in the eyes of a potential new employer

seemingly stupid lawsuits are filled daily

why just in the news...

A California judge dismissed the complaint stating there's no such fruit as a Crunchberry and that the box clearly depicts them as round, crunchy, brightly-colored cereal balls.....The judge in the case also noted that the same plaintiff's firm, Hewell Law Firm in San Diego, filed a similar claim against the packaging of Froot Loops cereal , which was rejected by another California district court.

link

Edited by cowtown

Tristan 3 Canuck 0

Your own opinion, thats okay.

My questions still weren't answered, Just immature comments like yours.

I know that the OP is not affiliated with the YEA org. What I was saying was why did YEA feel the need to send an email like that to people outside of the YEA organization. And I was also saying I didn't understand why the OP felt the need to put an email like that on a site like this when we all know how most people on this site try to find everything wrong with the YEA org. Trust me, I think it was a horrible email to be sent, no matter what organization it was. But I also feel there was no real purpose to posting it on a site like this. I see there are people on this thread who say they also received the same email, but they didn't feel the need to post it on here.

Personally, I would have called the YEA organization to voice my opinion on that email and tell them how distasteful I thought it was and hope they correct the situation (actually, I think I may do that anyway), but that's just me. I make no apologies for what I am saying. I don't think it's right for YEA to send such a disrespectful email. I also don't think it's right for this email to end up on this site. My personal opinion.

:tongue:

Jeffnewsjetta, please read the above. Same idea what I was trying to say last night.

I just don't understand why the OP had to bring it to DCP. I didn't like the email from YEA! as well and am not defending it.