SCV dress rehearsal tonight

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santa Clara's show blew the audience away last night in Concord. The crowd was on their feet way before the last note. It was beautiful. Dare I say, SCV is back?

How is their brass this year?

How is their brass this year?

From Pleasant Hill, CA 6/13/09

The brass line this year is solid. The Poulan arrangement is very entertaining and easy to the ear. The chords structures make one's spine tingle. The arrangement is not highly technical but you can only go so far with Copland. The pit also shares melodic line duties. Technicality will be in the form of dynamics this year. There are some gorgeous sounding swells by the brass in act one. Andre Feagin is a very technical and passionate teacher and the sound of the brass surely reflects him and good things to come. The brass staff is smart in that they condition the audience to accept a certain intensity level then...the final melodic push... WHAM O! a tremendous impact, dramatic and powerful it was almost August ready they dialed it to 11 (Spinal Tap reference) Did SCV "rope a dope" us for a knockout? The crowd exploded!

NOTE: SCV only performed 9 minutes of drill. The impact was performed in an arc. It will be interesting how the visual staff will feature the impact. Hope they realize that their creative collective is key.

More pics of Vanguard's new look tomorrow. Yes, this was a deeply thought-out plan, a well-kept secret and a lot of fun to debut last night!

A few more uniform surprises coming soon:

Pacific Crest's new uniform debuting tonight at their Family Day event (pics tomorrow!)

SCVC's new look in by the Clovis/Stanford weekend. (white pants worn last night is just the start....)

Teal Sound's new uniform on the field next week.

Hawthorne Gold in a new look at the Walnut show this coming weekend.

Madison with some new trim to be seen in Rockford this weekend.

STANBURY CORPS for 2009:

Bluecoats

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Stars

Madison Scouts

Troopers

Pacific Crest

The Academy

Vanguard Cadets

Teal Sound

Oregon Crusaders

Hawthorne Gold

Blue Saints

....and none other than 6-time DCA champion Reading Bucs!

Do we know if Vanguard is getting new aussies to match the new uni's? The different shades of green seem odd to me.

Do we know if Vanguard is getting new aussies to match the new uni's? The different shades of green seem odd to me.

I don't think they've changed the aussie in all the uniform changes they've been through. While it's noticeable in pictures, I don't think it's that noticeable live.