Will G bugles eventually become extinct?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think this is an easy button, it's time to get off the computer and start getting around town on your horse and buggy. A whole lot of kids I've taught deserve a little more than to be told what they did was easy. Nice argument.

Your words. "Better" and "Faster". Also "Dinosaur". We won't get to allusions to me being from the 19th century. Nice Hyperbole.

In fairness, bluestar even said Bb's were easier to work with than G's. I'm not sure that it's fair to reduce that to the "easy button" comments...maybe a "sanity button"?

I never intended to imply that it made what the "kids" do easy. I was taking exception to the idea that because you get a "better product faster" is justification for anything. The idea has been on several threads today, that if it is quicker or takes less teaching or rehearsing, than that makes it the best.

OK, so after 50 years of making G bugles, no manufacturer got it right, on any instrument? Lemme guess....you play trumpet?

I've played them all, but primarily bari/euph. Just as a for instance, I played on a King K80 euph, which is accounted by most as one of, if not the, best G euphs ever produced. The first fifth partial on all valve combinations was the most disgustingly out of tune partial on any instrument I have ever played.

There are good Gs, and bad Bbs, but in general, Bbs play much better in tune with themselves.

One more thing: Please define "in tune" in your context. (hint: with the piano, or the harmonic series, or something else)

The partials I'm referring to aren't in tune in any frame of reference, be it the chord structure, the melodic line, or equal temperament.

I just realized why I'm never on forums. Sorry guys. I should have known better. Good luck in your discussions. I'll take my ball and go home. Alan may have something with comparing horns though. Go check it out and see what you think. Sit down with a tuner, after warming up and see what happens.

My bad on not making my point more clear...If the equipment is in better working order, you can take the kids FURTHER(what I meant), not easier(what I didn't). In my opinion, the construction of Bb's is better, and you can take them further. Man, you'd think I killed someone's dog or something.

Yikes guys.

I just realized why I'm never on forums. Sorry guys. I should have known better. Good luck in your discussions. I'll take my ball and go home. Alan may have something with comparing horns though. Go check it out and see what you think. Sit down with a tuner, after warming up and see what happens.

My bad on not making my point more clear...If the equipment is in better working order, you can take the kids FURTHER(what I meant), not easier(what I didn't). In my opinion, the construction of Bb's is better, and you can take them further. Man, you'd think I killed someone's dog or something.

Yikes guys.

Hey, no prob. This whole argument got way off from the OP in this thread.

Are there differences? - Certainly. Should DCI take a certain course with respect to this? - They have.

But the question was: Will bugle pitched in G ever complete disappear? - Hopefully not.

I thought they already were...

3000th post!

Edited by dciguy01

I always wondered if 3 valve bugles would eventually end up being harder to find than the 2 valve or piston/rotor bugles. The 3 valve era, 1990 to 1999, was shorter than the 2 valve and piston/rotor eras, and there were fewer drum corps purchasing horns.

Today, 9 years after the multikey rule, when looking on Ebay I tend to see more 2 valve horns than 3 valves.

Guess is Alumni type corps have grabbed the used 3v Gs as soon as they showed up for sale. Also guessing lot of these horns were sold between the corp sand never made it to the "For Sale" places. Know Hanover matched their hornline just before the bottom fell out of the market.

My understanding is the only difference between the current 3v Gs and Bbs is length of lead pipe. Danged if I can tell the difference with my untrained ear. And BIG reason given for going to Bb had nothing to do with quality of the instruments. It was because the members didn't have that much time at camp to adjust their ears to key of G. Keeping horns in Bb removed the learning curve and allowed more time for other things at camp.