1968 Drum Corps Murder Still Unsolved

20 hours ago, C Neill said:

Hi everybody!  I was a friend of Jackie, the girl that was murdered, and spent the day with her and walked to practice with her on the day she died.  I see in these posts that there was a name that was often mentioned.  Where did you folks get your information and who is it?  And Brittany, Jackie was not dumped.  She was at a place a lot of us hung out at called "Washies" and was attacked there.  She would take the short cut through Washies to get home from practice.  I believe she knew EXACTLY who it was, and that there were two people involved in her death.  One to hold her down with the flag strap while the other one attempted to rape her.  She had been having issues with a boy in town, who, by the way, moved out of the area shortly after Jackie was murdered.  Sorry, just seeing somebody write that she was "dumped" has really upset me.

Her body not her I'm sorry if I offended you I should have chose better wording for that but I didn't mean she as a person. As far as the information goes I've gotten a little from a person who was there at the time but the police or anyone involved with the case has not been cooperative and gave me "its still an ongoing case". I have someone who "has connections" but he disappeared on me so ive hit a wall as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 8:54 PM, sterling22 said:

I'm glad you clarified Jackie story.  she came back with me, on the queens bus a lot back then.  I still believe it was a hate crime.  I contacted the local police, asked then if they would "open" the case back up, I was told by the captain that it was "still" being investigated.  I tried doing a back ground check on him, but found nothing.  Mrs. Harp was being sent horrible mail after Jackie's death..maybe that's why the family moved..  I wish this would be solved..I cared a lot about her...( I was the co captain of the color guard back then..Eleanor was captain) queen village queens

I wonder if the investigator Brittnay Mandoza, would follow through.

I have no idea who Brittnay is, but I was in contact with bergen co prosecutor office, cold case division, a guy named Sgt. James McMorrow.  Here's his email if you want to give it a shot jmcmorrow@bcpo.net. We did discuss my thoughts on the case, but he didn't seem too interested in the information.  I'm thinking about contacting Ron Calissi  again.  (He's worked with his dad, Guy Claissi who was the prosecutor at the time of Jackie's murder.)  I think if anybody can get dna tested, it would be him.  I think her folks moved after Jackie's sister was murdered by her husband.  My family also received death threats (for me) for months after the murder.  Our phone was tapped, but nothing ever came of it.  

Who did you try doing a background check on and why would you think it was a hate crime?

• 2 years later...

I lived in Closter at the time. Denise Falasca was murdered in a similar fashion almost a year to the day after Jacalyn was killed.  The person I believe responsible is Richard Cottingham.  There is so much about him online and almost nothing about his victims. I want to know more about Jackie's life. I want her to live in the hearts and memories of family, friends and strangers alike for the rest of time. 

Please feel free to share anything you want the world to know about her: kittyshanahan63@gmail.com

• 2 months later...

The cases of Jackie Harp, Irene Blase and Denise Falasca were ‘exceptionally cleared’ by the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office in June 2017 with a confession from an incarcerated serial killer. There is an immunity deal in place and it’s not clear when BCPO will make a public announcement as other cases are still under active investigation.  A three-County Cold Case Task Force was formed earlier this year between Bergen, Essex and Passaic Counties to re-investigate some of the old cold cases.   The murders of Harp, Blasé and Falasca are three from 58 unsolved sexual murders of girls, teenagers and young women in New Jersey 1960-1980.  I have not yet listed those murders as ‘solved’ but information about all  58 cold case murders in New Jersey from 1960-1980 can be accessed on my website www.newjerseygirlmurders.org    The perpetrator has been incarcerated since 1980.

I am currently writing a book for Penguin Random House about the cases and will be grateful for any recollections of the victims, witnesses on the day of the murder or any observations from people who lived through those murders in 1968-69.   

Peter Vronsky

www.newjerseygirlmurders.org 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My cousin Karen sadly passed away in May of 2019.  Denise's murder took an incalculable toll on her immediate family and relatives that truly only others who have experienced the same ordeal can possibly comprehend.  

Karen was relentless and it wasn't for book or paper sales or a movie or fame -  It was for the love of her sister.  

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

On January 3, 2020, Bergen County Prosecutor's Office confirmed allegations I made in a public meeting in Midland Park on December 30, 2019, that the murder of Jackie Harp has been "exceptionally cleared" on the basis of serial killer Richard Cottingham's confession.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/hackensack/police-fire/lodi-serial-killer-confesses-to-1960s-bergen-schoolgirl-murders/781365/

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I was a classmate of Jackie’s at Midland Park. I guess We were in seventh grade together. But washies that is spoken up and some of these earlier posts was Wostbrock’s Brook and I used to play there all the time because I lived in the southern part of town. It was weird when Jackie was killed it was the first thing like that that had ever happened in our town that I can remember I remember her as being  a pretty girl but not much more than that