Chambersburg 6/19

didn't take notes, so this is all of the top of my head.

Fuddruckers......had never been to one before and my co-pilot Adam suggested it. Hands down Box 6.

I love this stadium...good and high, nice turf field, and the new gym behind the back bleachers helped keep backfield stuff audible. I'm 3 rows down from the press box about the 45 side 1

Colts: IMO, a step up from last year in design, with what could be more ideas and completing of the thought to come. Very creative use of the synth to help create that ocean feeling, tho at times, too loud. Lots of dirt, like most at this time of the year, and IMO, thats what held them down. Nice nautical uniforms from the guard. Liked the use of the "seagull" to help with a transition, but the 2nd time it seemed like it was thrown in because they couldnt think of anything else. Very cool use of the drill to create the waves, and the storm section was well done musically, tho visually very cluttered. good brass and perc sound, tho at times, when it was a full percussion feature, the keys overpowered the battery and thats tough because the battery is aggressive. Also...

all in all, a more mature program than last year, but lots of detailing needed and a lot of cleaning really needed.

Glassmen: Loved the new corps proper uni, i dont think that was the guard uni we'll see by August. Highly aggressive battery and drill, and i think brass is catching up. pauses between tunes seemed rather long...obviously more detailing to come. Musically very pleasant and even hummable...especially Joy, but i'm not getting how it all ties to the "One" part yet. One of the better balanced pits of the evening, and their electronics usage really blended in. Only real issue there was in the beginning when the pit has the accent/tap passage, and the accoustin and electronic didnt line up well. I did like the show tho and do look forward to seeing more of it when the concept is clearer. with a full panel, score goes up

Boston: Love the new look. the white makes the corps so much larger and makes the red stand out more...the past few years it was too much black and it dulled the red. very enjoyable show...the Core OF Obsession. the storyline easy to follow tho i can imagine more to come. Some balance issues with the toys up front, but the bite of the apple was well done with the electronics. This corps will get the Rondo "sultry stuff" line. Visually tons of Bostonisms, and performed well for June. very passionate aggressive show, and the Bacchanale came thru clear, tho it could use some Conquest hits to really beef it up. another show with a full panel and the score goes up.

Crown....WOW!!!! very detailed for June, and the green works well with the uniforms. suggestion..... for the moving warmup, time the announcer better., he covered up some of the best part as Promise gets louder. The St Michael stuff was very cool moving and musically...a treat to follow it all. battery percussion best in years, and they had the fewest pit balance issues. ballad reminds me of last year with Somewhere and Rainbow working in and out, and the up tempo Ranbow stuff kicked my ###.Also loved the Sensemaia stuff was awesome too. really loved at the end of the uptempo Rqainbow stuff how in 20 seconds they worked back thru the show for the restatement of Red Pony.

Crown is for real. Not sure why the spread was that large. My prediction...a serious darkhorse. they wont peak early and I am sure many more fine tuning touches to come to flesh out the concept.

Cadets: intro with the electronics basically smapling the soundtrack for the whistle and street sounds too loud, and would actually work better as a moving warmup. After that tho....some seriously stupidly difficult stuff. They are loud, fast and aggressive, maybe too much so. Some great moments take you back to the 84 show in every tune. Prolouge was well done, but the transition into America came way out of left field and felt forced like that last piece of clothing in a crammed suitcase. synths went they went to the bottom end were so loud i could feel it. pit features were cranked too loud. I mean it was a pit feature they dont need to be at 11, and at times when the battery joined in i couldnt hear the battery. That said.....A Boy Like That/I had A Love was awesome, especially the ending...check out the split battery stuff drummers. Coll had some nice moments, but at times felt like it dragged out...like they put stuff in there to make sure it wasnt a rip off of earlier versions. Tonight however....well done, especially the set up into the company front...oh my god 84 flashbacks. The drill ended there, and maybe for good reason...tempos get stupid, but musically.....if they dont do a Z pull out of the company front people will be ######. the music in place screams for it. musically after Tonight it's like thry throw in snippets from other tunes really fast, which could be clarified some, and then jack the tempo up more.

this show is good. it could be classic. what you see from Cadets in June is never what you see in August and there's where they can iron out transitions and smooth things out. I wont count em out, but tonight, I would have counted em second, especially with the electronic balance issues.

recap breakdowns...spread in perc too high due to balance issues and cadets standing still. on enesemble music, the balance issues should have narrowd the gp, tho Crown did have a few side to side shaky moments. visual i can see as crown had some really clutered moments and some guard incomplete spots. Ge music i can see and GE visual I can see. to me, IMO, the difference and what caused the spread was because electronic balance issues got a pass. and they were big issues.

Adam, a pleasure to have you with us, Mike thanks for the talks,, and Dan you ran a good show.

and thank you Clear Channel Communications. because of you it was 120-0, and we didnt have the 0 :rolleyes:

i am going to retouch on something.

these corps have had their spring trainings going on for weeks now. there is no ungodly reason why balance issues with the electronics should be that severe. if i cant hear the battery over the pit...which happened several times....there is an issue. it's not like stick heights on the field were low. come to think of it, they werent really low up front either.

Great review!

Sounds like it's going to be a good battle between Crown and Cadets again this year! Crown has a lot of cleaning to do visually, but will get there! I can't wait to see how things shake up in late July into finals week!

Great review!

Sounds like it's going to be a good battle between Crown and Cadets again this year! Crown has a lot of cleaning to do visually, but will get there! I can't wait to see how things shake up in late July into finals week!

I really don't think it is....Cadets have just too strong a program this year. Sure Crown may beat them MAYBE once, but I highly doubt it. I guess we'll see. All I can hope for is some great drum corps this season!

I really don't think it is....Cadets have just too strong a program this year. Sure Crown may beat them MAYBE once, but I highly doubt it. I guess we'll see. All I can hope for is some great drum corps this season!

It is the first show of the season. No one knows what will be the end result, you can't say that one show is too strong for the other when it's just the first show. When shows are tweaked and fine tuned (hence why we have judges to help make appropriate changes).. then there is a clearer picture as to who has the better show.. I say wait and see. I have not seen any corps this year, but I do remember from marching, how things change throughout a season.

Yep, all we, as spectators can do is see! And I can't wait to see all of it! AGDHSJKL