Chambersburg 6/19

i am going to retouch on something.

these corps have had their spring trainings going on for weeks now. there is no ungodly reason why balance issues with the electronics should be that severe. if i cant hear the battery over the pit...which happened several times....there is an issue. it's not like stick heights on the field were low. come to think of it, they werent really low up front either.

Each stadium is going to 'sound' different. I highly doubt that the fields the corps have been rehearsing on have the exact same 'sound' as the performance stadiums. That, said, though...they should be able to work things out better. I was not there, but did the corps' do a sound check before the performance started?

In your mind was most of the shows fan friendly, Judge friendly or a good balance for the first show of the year.

Dean

I never have understood this... Judge friendly vs Fan friendly. Everyone has different likes/dislikes.

Thanks for the review!

From Hops blog, it sounded like The Cadets were going to be overtime by about one minute - was this the case? They don't give penalties this early in the season for overtime so, in spite of not marching the closer, if The Cadets had as much drill on the field as Crown they would, therefore, be able to have enough build-up in their score to still come in first.

In addition, wasn't there something about DCI deciding not to affect scores for electronics issues early in the year as it was felt that it takes longer for corps to figure out the balance issues and such, as they start moving from place to place and performing in various different sized (often larger) stadiums than they have been rehearsing in during spring training?

How do band circuits handle this? Do they allow for amp/electronics issues in the early shows to allow the bands to experiment with how things sound in differeing stadiums? Or do they "zapp" the scores right from the start of the season?

I never have understood this... Judge friendly vs Fan friendly. Everyone has different likes/dislikes.

I THINK the MAJORITY of fans want to hear "somewhat recognizable" music and want to be entertained.

They just like to see the kids having fun, which translates to THEM having fun.

The last few years GENERALLY, I THINK MOST judges have been rewarding more exotic music and concepts.

My PERSONAL VIEW is the judges are so connected to "educational" music they kind of look down of more popular offerings.

I remember when I was in college how much fun it was for most of my peers to make fun of "My Sharona" by the Knack because it was so "easy". Sorry, but I LIKED that tune.

The confusion is embedded in the activity; sometimes we call it A SHOW and sometimes we call it A COMPETITION.

Fans like A SHOW; judges adjudicate a COMPETITION.

The confusion is embedded in the activity; sometimes we call it A SHOW and sometimes we call it A COMPETITION.

Fans like A SHOW; judges adjudicate a COMPETITION.

Then im confused as to what I should call myself, a fan or a judge, because a good competition is part of what makes a good show! IMO :rolleyes:

I am very excited to read this review. I've stayed away from this site on purpose for the whole spring, just to see what it's like coming into the season without having read a bunch of posts about camps and shows. I am almost more pumped to see some drum corps this year than I am normally in June!

Jeff - Thanks for the excellent review!

Try Five Guys if you want a serious burger moment ( their freedom fries rule )

Thanks for the review!

From Hops blog, it sounded like The Cadets were going to be overtime by about one minute - was this the case? They don't give penalties this early in the season for overtime

Remember, Hop has a veto on all timing penalties. I think it says so in the DCI bylaws :rolleyes:

Jeff- what'd you have at FR's?

One question was there any narration? Just wondering

no one spoke, and i just remembered there was one miced brass solo.

except that you couldnt hear it over the pit...Colts I think