Chambersburg 6/19

thank you for a great, positive, and optimistic review!

I have been reading soo many negative, pessimistic reviews the past day that i was starting to think that everything just sucks.. and electronics really are the death of it all.

seriously, thanks for an enjoyable review.

Hey Jeff, glad you were in C-burg while I "suffered" in the Finger Lake Wine Country. :sad:

Any idea of the makeup of the crowd? Kinda of a DCI fan only crowd or did a bunch of locals show up like Kris and I noticed in the last two years. Then again we were in the "gimpy legged" area.

Just wondering if the change from All Age to Junior and jump in price had an effect.

You are absolutely correct! Crown has a good corps but they took a strange turn with their show design this year. The Cadets show design is on a different level than Crown (in a good way). The fact that Crown beat Cadets in visual is a head scratcher. I was also at the show friday night and the "REVIEW" (opinions) given by the originator of this post was nothing more than one persons opinions. As a matter of fact, some of his observations are based on nothing but opinion and personal taste. I am sure I will be slammed for this response but it angers me when I read a "REVIEW" that is nothing more than one persons opinions. Jeff, if you insist on sharing your observations, please try to use even a little obectivity! Some of you observations are just flat out wrong. Folks step away from the computer and go catch a show in person. The Cadets have a wonderful show this year and they are real treat to see.

Well...a review IS just one person's opinion. Without commenting on the merits of anyone's review...that's what it is...one poster's opinion.

I think the Cadets lack of movement for the last what?...minute or so....would have impacted their visual score...so it doesn't surprise me that Crown outscored them in Visual.

How do band circuits handle this? Do they allow for amp/electronics issues in the early shows to allow the bands to experiment with how things sound in differeing stadiums? Or do they "zapp" the scores right from the start of the season?

USSBA doesn't really penalize for time issues. Balance would impct a score from day 1. Bands that are in the mid 90's in November are in the mid 60's in September....at least MY band is! :sad:

You are absolutely correct! Crown has a good corps but they took a strange turn with their show design this year. The Cadets show design is on a different level than Crown (in a good way). The fact that Crown beat Cadets in visual is a head scratcher. I was also at the show friday night and the "REVIEW" (opinions) given by the originator of this post was nothing more than one persons opinions. As a matter of fact, some of his observations are based on nothing but opinion and personal taste. I am sure I will be slammed for this response but it angers me when I read a "REVIEW" that is nothing more than one persons opinions. Jeff, if you insist on sharing your observations, please try to use even a little obectivity! Some of you observations are just flat out wrong. Folks step away from the computer and go catch a show in person. The Cadets have a wonderful show this year and they are real treat to see.

well, thank you for noting i pointed out what i observed. i hope you re-read and see where i pointed out the good and bad in all 5 corps.

i know you like to label me a YEA hater, but, IMO, I think the Cadets have the potential to have the classic of all classics.

but you probably didnt read that, because you got hung up on where i commented on how loud the pit was.

guess what...talked to 2 cadets alumni today who sat lower than i did. they said at times it made their ears bleed.

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

thank you for a great, positive, and optimistic review!

I have been reading soo many negative, pessimistic reviews the past day that i was starting to think that everything just sucks.. and electronics really are the death of it all.

seriously, thanks for an enjoyable review.

thanks. pass that on to dans ok?

On behalf of the Chambersburg Area Band Promotion Association, I would like to thank The Cadets for co-hosting an excellent show in Chambersburg. The people from YEA! were very helpful and knowledgeable. The Cadets staff and membership were very appreciative of being able to use our facilities. And most importantly, the audience seemed to really enjoy the evening at the stadium, watching 5 great World Class DCI corps perform their 2009 show for the first time.

The show and the four days of Cadet camp leading up to it were a great opportunity for my students to observe how much hard work and tenacity goes into performing at the extremely high level that The Cadets are able to achieve. I know for a fact that many of them were very excited about the whole experience. Maybe it has inspired some of them to try to march with a DCI corps next year? The first time I saw a drum corps show was in 1984 and the Garfield Cadets were at the show. I remember being awe struck at this legendary corps. The following year, I was in drum corps and have been involved ever since.

Thanks also go out to all of the other corps in competition...The Colts, The Glassmen, Boston Crusaders and Carolina Crown. They all did a great job and made for a very memorable experience for everyone in attendance.

Wishing all corps a wonderful 2009 season!

Seriously good review, Jeff. I looked forward to your thoughts every year. Hope you get to some more shows.

so i went back and re-read what I wrote.

i think you need to re-read it yourself.

i think you'll see i was complimentary to everyone, and called out what needed called out.

oh wait, you think I hate the maroon team, so never mind.

so i went back and re-read what I wrote.

i think you need to re-read it yourself.

i think you'll see i was complimentary to everyone, and called out what needed called out.

oh wait, you think I hate the maroon team, so never mind.

It has nothing to do with hating the maroon team. It has to do with your attitude about your opinions as expressed by your own words above. "i think you'll see i was complimentary to everyone, and called out what needed called out". Oh please Jeff, you called out what needed to be called out? How many DCI championship rings do you have? What was the last DCI championship corps you taught? Who gave you the right to sit and be critical of folks who have one several championships and been elected to the hall of fame. You have every right to express your opinions, however, when you make statements about calling out what needs to be called out, that shows you need to get over yourself. Your reviews express your observations and your personal tastes in a drum corps show, not "what needed to be called out".