Musical Cop-Out

Intersting to call out Spirit only on this as there are many other corps that are using synths to acheive the same "musical cop-out" that you are discussing.

I thought some of the synth things that took place last night were pretty cheesy, and it's possible they did a better job of disguising what they were doing, but Spirit was so out there and in your face. Front and center.

I don't like electronics . . . period. BUT, I think there is a distinction between some goofy sound effects and using a stringed bass to accomplish what is supposed to be accomplished by Tubas, Euphs, and Baritones. That is why I used the phrase "cop out".

I think the argument that, "hey these kids work just as hard as everyone else" is a fallacy. It has nothing to do with the debate. Nobody doubts that the kids don't work as hard as everyone else and that their mothers (and grandmothers) don't love them just as much as those in corps without electronics. I would be the first one to walk up to that young man who plays the bass and give him a big hug and tell him how much I appreciate his efforts.

However, if I saw one of the men who made these decisions, I'd take my bony little finger and stick it in his eye and tell him, to take these new rules and shove 'em in a very uncomfortable place.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself?

1. Was pitting the front ensemble a cop out?

2. Was going to 3 valves a cop out?

3. Was the vocal stuff that Cadets and Bluecoats did a cop out?

4. Was going from 128 members and increasing the corps sizes a cop out?

4. Is having a bass player for effect a cop out?

Maybe. But I actually liked numbers 1-4 because they were acoustic. (edit: I thought you were talking about Cadets 77/84 etc. I can't stand mic'd voice either)

My line is drawn at woodwinds and non-electronically played instruments. Personally I think it's important to have a line drawn somewhere in order to retain tradition and history. I can't speak for colorguard (since I don't naturally pay attention to it as much).

As to the bass player, I'd like to see it for myself so I can decide if I notice it too much or not. Right now it sounds like a terrible idea to me though.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

I thought some of the synth things that took place last night were pretty cheesy, and it's possible they did a better job of disguising what they were doing, but Spirit was so out there and in your face. Front and center.

This is the best thing I've heard in years... after hearing everything from rumors of Spirit folding to predictions of Spirit dropping a few more placements this season.

I'm not trying to join in on the fracas, but a little Spirit controversy is OK by me.

Spirit - The Best Rhythm Section in Drum Corps (listen and you'll see)

You may be surprised that they have a good horn line this year, too (once again, listen and you'll see).

BTW, my opinion is only that.

I see the world through baby-blue colored glasses... you see, I have 150 kids marching in the corps this year.

4. Is having a bass player for effect a cop out?

Thanks for reading...

Not if it is used soley "for effect". If it is used to bolster an otherwise underballanced low brass, then yes - huge cop out.

Not if it is used soley "for effect". If it is used to bolster an otherwise underballanced low brass, then yes - huge cop out.

I too was very critical at first, but by the end I thought the kid rocked. It at times seemed that the brass and even the battery got in the way of the music. If a corps like Spirit can do this at the level they do it at, I look forward to seeing what a corps like the Blue Devils can do with this new element. I also remember when a top local HS band added this to their field show and yes, it was to fill out the bass element on the field. That was in the early '90s. I also remember seeing that same band drop using all the electronics and especially el. bass, back in the late '90s. This element is nothing new to marching music. It is in fact a couple of decades ago, in HS bands.

Good Job Spirit! and especially your Bassman!

It at times seemed that the brass and even the battery got in the way of the music.

Why put them out there, then? Let's just have Spirit as a five piece Kansas tribute band, with 145 colorguard members to back them up.

Brass and battery "getting in the way of the music": This truly is a brave new world for marching band. :rolleyes:

with the new rules, its legal, So What if they had a bass player, its better then being top heavy due to lack of contras, the balence will fix itself

It at times seemed that the brass and even the battery got in the way of the music.

OK you're losing me here. I can understand how there can be balance problems, but don't the brass and battery have the job of making the music?

It's been a while since I've been to a show, but I seem to remember this vaguely... :rolleyes:

Having a bass player beef up your tuba parts, for any corps, is a cop out.

Having a bass player do a bass solo feature or something, not a cop out.

Why? Because contras don't have a volume knob.