What defines a Drum and Bugle Corps?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A drum and bugle corps is an organization you join when you realize you are better than everyone else in your marching band.

Bus Fumes, The smell of an oncoming storm, The game, The superman Suit, The croud, The rush, The feeling when you come off the field knowing that was it, Friendships that last a life time, Peanut Butter and Jelly, basic blocks, bob barker, corps jacket, friends and family day, tan lines.

This my friends is what defines drum corps.

:laughing::thumbup::tongue:

Us who?

It just seems that some people would be okay with calling corps "bands" from now on. I just don't get it. To me its an insult for a corps to be referred to as a band. Yes, technically they are a band but that is just a frugal argument. Your logic works but its like if I say the Marines are part of the military men, but not all military men are part of the Marines. Yes its true, but Marines are still Marines any way you cut it, just like I hope corps will remain corps even after all this nonsense that happens this season.

A group that makes sounds using only horns and precussion instruments.

As for the 70s sucked comments...... Don't knock it until you have tried making music on the limited equipment. Took more effort to play with control on those beasts (uphill both ways in the snow, etc, etc). And just because it was different doesn't mean it was wrong or sucked....

With the exeption of going "toot toot" and "bang bang" Drum Corps and bands have no historical relationship whatsoever. Drum and Bugle Corps is a byproduct of World War I, when soldiers who fought in Europe and later returned home to civilian life wanted to support their local veterans orginizations and began forming martial-style musical units and trooping the colors to the drum and bugle like they did in the service. Bands had nothing to do with that which is why they use a lot of instruments that many Drum Corps people don't want. The only present day exeption I can think of is that of the U.S. Naval Academy, who's Drum Corps was founded in 1914, which was prior to the U.S. involvment in the war (that always facinated me).

There of course are other differences too, like not being affiliated with schools or universties (don't mention Spirit-we know all about it), 15 hour everydays and seperate tuition. Oh yeah, most of the horns are chromed too.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Everybody have a nice day. :laughing:

Just was thinking that I bet a lot of people look at today's marching bands and think "that's not marching band" If you think about Sousa and his contributions to the band world and compare his style to today's its really different. Bands used to be a parade thing, not so much half time performances. The drill has also evolved as well from military to...well what it is today.

Anyway, both are evolving for better or for worse. Sadly they seem to be merging into one activity when their should be two separate things. I mean American's have their version of football and the rest of the world has theirs. Lets keep it that way.

Drum and bugle corps. Hmm...let's see... You had Drums, and you had Bugles. You had color guard. It's kind of like band, but it's not cause there are no woodwinds, synthesizers or amps...It's different. We learned a different instrument in a different key. We were the UGB, "Ultimate Band Geeks" who felt like "Rock stars".

Well, it's pretty self explanatory.

But now...not so much.