Dennis Dodd... again?

A petition would not only feed this guy's ego, but it would also make CBS execs very happy. Other than band geeks (I'm one), nobody would care about the advocacy of marching bands.

That is, unless CBS was made aware of their liability the next time a band geek gets their ### kicked by some jocks who think they're in the right based on the filth that CBS is promoting on their network. Any lawyerly types in this bunch?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is, unless CBS was made aware of their liability the next time a band geek gets their ### kicked by some jocks who think they're in the right based on the filth that CBS is promoting on their network. Any lawyerly types in this bunch?

Um... not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV... but I sure know what your attorney would advise you in this situation: if you're lucky, CBS would offer you $1500 to go away. If you didn't take it or you weren't lucky, you'd end up footing a five or six figure legal bill at your end for your trouble and there would be a remote possiblity that you'd end up having to foot CBS' legal bill as well for filing a frivilous lawsuit.

For a good laugh do what I did and contact CBS Sports.com and file a complaint. The guy I spoke to was just as dismissive as that hack who wrote the blog (I refuse to call it a sports article). Was basically told to get over it, let it go, it was over 2 weeks old, and deal with it. He said it was his 3rd phone call of the day (including one from "some Drum and Bugle Corps guy in Pennsylvania") and had received many other complaints since then. He spoke to Mr. Dodd and told him he won't be writing about marching bands anymore and even replied in a mailbag. I informed him the mailbag replies were as offensive as the article itself. I know I am just fueling his ego and they are laughing at us and probably should let it go by being the better person and just walking away, but I am tired of people portraying us this way and want them to know it made quite a few people angry. Tell the operator you want to file a complaint against one of their cbssports.com writers and let these idiots know how we feel.

2200 West Cypress Creek Road

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

Phone: (954) 351-2120

As for the incident itself, I am an alum of the Marching Thunder at Marshall University and was at the Houston game. What happened to Mr. Edwards was terrible and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, nor I am trying to push blame on him or anyone else, but what people fail to mention is the defender who was running right beside him and managed to jump over the cart to keep from hitting it. Marshall has paid for all of his medical bills and Mr. Edwards received a lot of support and well wishes from coaches, players, and the Thundering Herd community by visiting, calling, and sending letters to him in the hospital after it happened. I just don't want people to think Marshall University or the Marching Thunder said "Ooops, sorry about that" and washed their hands of it. I don't know the rules and legal issues of how something like this is handled, just want to step up and make sure something very close to my heart is not villainized and painted in a terrible picture, just like I am going to defend the marching musical arts and DCI against wanna be Perez Hiltons of the sports world like Mr. Dodd.

For a good laugh do what I did and contact CBS Sports.com and file a complaint. The guy I spoke to was just as dismissive as that hack who wrote the blog (I refuse to call it a sports article). Was basically told to get over it, let it go, it was over 2 weeks old, and deal with it. He said it was his 3rd phone call of the day (including one from "some Drum and Bugle Corps guy in Pennsylvania") and had received many other complaints since then. He spoke to Mr. Dodd and told him he won't be writing about marching bands anymore and even replied in a mailbag. I informed him the mailbag replies were as offensive as the article itself. I know I am just fueling his ego and they are laughing at us and probably should let it go by being the better person and just walking away, but I am tired of people portraying us this way and want them to know it made quite a few people angry. Tell the operator you want to file a complaint against one of their cbssports.com writers and let these idiots know how we feel.

As for the incident itself, I am an alum of the Marching Thunder at Marshall University and was at the Houston game. What happened to Mr. Edwards was terrible and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, nor I am trying to push blame on him or anyone else, but what people fail to mention is the defender who was running right beside him and managed to jump over the cart to keep from hitting it. Marshall has paid for all of his medical bills and Mr. Edwards received a lot of support and well wishes from coaches, players, and the Thundering Herd community by visiting, calling, and sending letters to him in the hospital after it happened. I just don't want people to think Marshall University or the Marching Thunder said "Ooops, sorry about that" and washed their hands of it. I don't know the rules and legal issues of how something like this is handled, just want to step up and make sure something very close to my heart is not villainized and painted in a terrible picture, just like I am going to defend the marching musical arts and DCI against wanna be Perez Hiltons of the sports world like Mr. Dodd.

Thanks, this is exacdtly what I had in mind.... U make my point, which is tolerance is neglect... Thanks for responding, I will also call the number, and I hope many others will... It is not just about being called a "band geek" folks. Keep in mind that when Rome and Dodd and other writers flash their flamboyant opinions about Marching Band being stupid, many kids and parents either not involved in music or those that currently are could be swayed/made to feel as though band is not a worthy activity. Those same regular audience members and football fans control the school boards in our districts and thus our band budgets and activites from the school's standpoint. It is dangerous to let a writer get away with such blatent discrimination against band students. If it becomes the mantra of the media and the sports media it will start to trickle down.... Unlikely? I'm sure some will think so, but if you've ever had an administrator or school board president or Superintendent that treats the fine arts as second class citizens you know what I am talking about.... It is my job as a music educator not only to advocate the arts to those who will listen, but also to those that won't!!!

Wes P

For a good laugh do what I did and contact CBS Sports.com and file a complaint. The guy I spoke to was just as dismissive as that hack who wrote the blog (I refuse to call it a sports article). Was basically told to get over it, let it go, it was over 2 weeks old, and deal with it. He said it was his 3rd phone call of the day (including one from "some Drum and Bugle Corps guy in Pennsylvania") and had received many other complaints since then.

Ha That was me that called him! I invited Mr Dobbs to a Practice so he could see the "geeks" in action. Of course they said no thanks. He said the same things to me.

The band cart being where it was was no different than many of the obstructions that are encroaching on the playing fields, and there is argument both ways. Breaking ranks is another issue, and should be settled by implanting a baritone horn in his skull.

Are we still talking about Dodd? When I read the first Dodd piece a few weeks ago I was disappointed in his decision to write disparagingly about marching band folk. He did not need to say what he said about our activity. Any note to him from me would have just said "you are a dick head". I did not write one.

After reading so many comments, and his response to them, I have to say we need to give it a rest. No one is going to change his mind about marching music. If you drug him to a Blue Devils practice for the day and made him sit in the stands for a 12 hour rehearsal, I suspect he would not change his mind. If you had him shadow a Cavie tenor player in two run throughs, he wouldn't change his mind. If you made him do 15 "run-ons" for half time with a Sousaphone on his back, he would not change his mind.

The bottom line of this whole unfortunate situation is that his article may have worked as intended. Marshall moved the carts that never should have been where they were. Bottom line on that, no excuses. No, "he should have jumped the carts." Or "No one told me I couldn't put my cart there." Carts in bad place, carts moved, others paying attention and not leaving stuff around a football field. And Dodd stirred up some drama and caused a nice little bit of reaction, not bad for making a few bad jokes at the marching bands expense.

Dodd is a sports writer. I had never heard of him until the first thread dedication to him. I will probably never read him again.

Are we still talking about Dodd? When I read the first Dodd piece a few weeks ago I was disappointed in his decision to write disparagingly about marching band folk. He did not need to say what he said about our activity. Any note to him from me would have just said "you are a dick head". I did not write one.

After reading so many comments, and his response to them, I have to say we need to give it a rest. No one is going to change his mind about marching music. If you drug him to a Blue Devils practice for the day and made him sit in the stands for a 12 hour rehearsal, I suspect he would not change his mind. If you had him shadow a Cavie tenor player in two run throughs, he wouldn't change his mind. If you made him do 15 "run-ons" for half time with a Sousaphone on his back, he would not change his mind.

The bottom line of this whole unfortunate situation is that his article may have worked as intended. Marshall moved the carts that never should have been where they were. Bottom line on that, no excuses. No, "he should have jumped the carts." Or "No one told me I couldn't put my cart there." Carts in bad place, carts moved, others paying attention and not leaving stuff around a football field. And Dodd stirred up some drama and caused a nice little bit of reaction, not bad for making a few bad jokes at the marching bands expense.

Dodd is a sports writer. I had never heard of him until the first thread dedication to him. I will probably never read him again.

Well said....The guy is a dick head who is big in his own world. No use putting a rubber over his head because what comes out is pretty useless anyway.

Edited by jsualumnus