What can I expect?

This Thursday, I will be attending the Glassmen All-Star Review in Toledo. The last drum corps show I saw was the same show in 2006. The changes in drum corps that went on in the middle of this decade such as the addition of amplification and lots of signing and narration put me off to drum corps a great deal. That, in addition to my goings on with the Army precluded me from seeing any shows since early 2006. So my question is, what can I expect? What other new rules or additions have occurred in drum corps in the past few years? Will I see woodwinds on the field? Have they, dare I hope, rescinded the amplification rule? I have not kept up with anything drum corps related since then, so I have no idea what the shows are, what new rules are in place, etc. Anyone want to give me a quick recap of the last 3 years in drum corps?

good ####. now your updated. Its going to be a good show. Cant wait to see it.

This Thursday, I will be attending the Glassmen All-Star Review in Toledo. The last drum corps show I saw was the same show in 2006. The changes in drum corps that went on in the middle of this decade such as the addition of amplification and lots of signing and narration put me off to drum corps a great deal. That, in addition to my goings on with the Army precluded me from seeing any shows since early 2006. So my question is, what can I expect? What other new rules or additions have occurred in drum corps in the past few years? Will I see woodwinds on the field? Have they, dare I hope, rescinded the amplification rule? I have not kept up with anything drum corps related since then, so I have no idea what the shows are, what new rules are in place, etc. Anyone want to give me a quick recap of the last 3 years in drum corps?

Well the amplification of the pits is still around, but most corps have gotten pretty good at making sure the balance is decent. you will notice that the sound board is usually out near the fence in front of the pit and manned by a staff person wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Talking has kinda faded from the flavor of the day for the most part in favor of synthesizers (legal for the first time this year). Now that electronic instruments in the pit are allowed it seems that all corps have at least 1 if not more synthesizers and the corps (from what I saw on saturday) have not figured out how to balance the sound from these. So electronic sounds are now the flavor of the year, and as discussed on another thread, Sprit has even gone as far as to have an electric Bass guitar and electric stand up bass (stick) in their pit.

However, I think once the balance issues and the newness of the new toys are overcome then the synths will probably just fade into the background like voice has.

Also note, if you are seeing the Colts, that one of their soloists will be standing in front of a microphone at some point since micing soloists and small brass ensembles is now legal as well.

Enjoy the show and let us know what you think.

First: some relevant history of the last 3 years.

* Madison Scouts dropped out of Finals in 2007, but came back and placed 12th in 2008. The pit is wearing hats again and the Cymbal line is back.

* Troopers came back in 2007 and placed in Semifinals for the first time in a long while during the 2008 season. They are incredibly strong considering their recent past in the 90's and early 00's.

* BLUE STARS are a force to be reckoned with. They were in Finals for the first time in 30(?) years last year, placing 8th.

* Carolina Crown and Bluecoats continue to be the new kids knocking on the top corps door, with Carolina Crown appearing to be generally placing higher at this point. They placed 4th in 2008. Bluecoats beat every corps at one point in 2007 and looked to be taking either the brass or percussion trophy, but ended up placing 7th at Finals.

* Phantom Regiment was in 3rd place at Quarters last year, 2nd in Semifinals, and jumped the Blue Devils to win DCI 2008 by .025 points.

* The Velvet Knights are BACK in Open Class, fielding smaller but still fun corps each year.

* Jersey Surf is the newest first-time World Class corps this year.

* Seattle Cascades dropped out for a while but are back this season in World Class.

* Capital Regiment also dropped out for a while and are back in Open Class.

* Narration/Amped Voice is still legal, but only a few corps try using it each year. Last year only Cadets and Bluecoats used some type of amped voice during Finals.

* DCI Finals is now at Lucas Oil Stadium every year for the next 9 years (including this season).

New Rules:

* Div II/III was abolished. It is now World Class(Div I) and Open Class (DivII/II combined)

* Membership is up to 150 now to make the most out of bus seating.

* The tie-breaker rule was abolished, making it possible for corps to tie for 1st place at Finals again.

* Water is allowed on the field.

* Mic'd brass solos/ensembles are allowed.

* Electronic instruments are allowed on the field. Most everyone is using them this season at one point or another in their shows.

2009 Season: (relevant to the Toledo show corps)

* Cadets having temporarily renamed themselves the "Holy Name Cadets". They are also doing a show of entirely WEST SIDE STORY music. No narration, but synthesized whistling makes an appearance at the opening of the show. I think you will enjoy this show regardless of that.

* Boston Crusaders have red and white uniforms now.

* Glassmen have new uniforms (hard to describe how they look).

* Cavaliers lost Jeff Fielder to SCV but are still as amazing as ever. They also have a new brass staff from their late 90's years.

* Crossmen are from Texas now and have a strong foundation to get back into Finals (placed 13th last year).

* Colts made Finals in 07 and are looking to get back this season. I believe they are micing a brass soloist this season.

* Capital Regiment is Open Class now.

(other corps)

* Madison Scouts are fielding the largest guard in their history at 36 members.

* Troopers are doing a show titled "Western Side Story", thus making two WSS shows this season.

* SCV is doing Appalachian Spring in a show titled "Ballet for Martha". I HIGHLY suggest going to the 2nd Toledo show sometime in early August because SCV will be there. This show is classic drum corps and is musically one of the best things I've heard in the past few years.

* Blue Devils have chairs. Lots of chairs. (in their show titled "1930")

* Phantom Regiment is doing a show called "The Red Violin", but I'm 90% sure no violins will actually be played :tongue:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

* Colts made Finals in 07 and are looking to get back this season. I believe they are micing a brass ensemble this season.

I only saw a soloist miced and not an ensemble. also that same soloist was not miced later in the same song. so I'm not sure why the need to mic him in the first part of the song.

* Madison Scouts dropped out of Finals in 2007, but came back and placed 12th in 2008. They also have their Cymbal line back.

* Troopers came back in 2007 and placed in Semifinals for the first time in a long while during the 2008 season. They are incredibly strong considering their recent past in the 90's and early 00's.

* BLUE STARS are a force to be reckoned with. They were in Finals for the first time in 30(?) years last year, placing 8th.

* Carolina Crown and Bluecoats continue to be the new kids knocking on the top corps door, with Carolina Crown appearing to be generally placing higher at this point. They placed 4th in 2008. Bluecoats beat every corps at one point in 2007 and looked to be taking either the brass or percussion trophy, but ended up placing 7th at Finals.

* Phantom Regiment was in 3rd place at Quarters last year, 2nd in Semifinals, and jumped the Blue Devils to win DCI 2008 by .025 points.

* The Velvet Knights are BACK in Open Class, fielding smaller but still fun corps each year.

* Seattle Cascades dropped out for a while but are back this season in World Class.

New Rules:

* Div II/III was abolished. It is now World Class(Div I) and Open Class (DivII/II combined)

* The tie-breaker rule was abolished, making it possible for corps to tie for 1st place at Finals again.

* Electronic instruments are allowed on the field. Most everyone is using them this season at one point or another in their shows.

* Cadets having temporarily renamed themselves the "Holy Name Cadets". They are also doing a show of entirely WEST SIDE STORY music. No narration, but synthesized whistling makes an appearance at the opening of the show. I think you will enjoy this show regardless of that.

* Cavaliers lost Jeff Fielder to SCV but are still as amazing as ever. They also have a new brass staff from their late 90's years.

* Crossmen are from Texas now and have a strong foundation to get back into Finals (placed 13th last year).

* Colts made Finals in 07 and are looking to get back this season. I believe they are micing a brass ensemble this season.

That pretty much sums it up.

* Madison Scouts dropped out of Finals in 2007, but came back and placed 12th in 2008. The pit is wearing hats again and the Cymbal line is back.

* Narration/Amped Voice is still legal, but only a few corps try using it each year. Last year only Cadets and Bluecoats used some type of amped voice during Finals.

* DCI Finals is now at Lucas Oil Stadium every year for the next 9 years (including this season).

New Rules:

* Colts made Finals in 07 and are looking to get back this season. I believe they are micing a brass soloist this season.

(other corps)

* Madison Scouts are fielding the largest guard in their history at 36 members.

* Troopers are doing a show titled "Western Side Story", thus making two WSS shows this season.

* SCV is doing Appalachian Spring in a show titled "Ballet for Martha". I HIGHLY suggest going to the 2nd Toledo show sometime in early August because SCV will be there. This show is classic drum corps and is musically one of the best things I've heard in the past few years.

* Blue Devils have chairs. Lots of chairs. (in their show titled "1930")

* Phantom Regiment is doing a show called "The Red Violin", but I'm 90% sure no violins will actually be played :tongue:

They came in 6th... but other than that, it's all correct.

Edited by CitBos

No, Bloo got 7th in 2007, Crown got 6th.

actually no, they came in 6th last year. but if you read what he wrote he was talking about 2007 in which the bluecoats ended up in 7th .8 out of 4th.

Just a new brass arranger, Drew Shanefield (previously arranged for Bloo), who taught the hornline in those late 90s years. The 01-present brass staff remains intact.

Thanks for the recap.