I suppose I just care about the corps ability to express themselves more than you do. That's okay, I feel sorry for you.

To continue to have fun with this, I would argue against nudity not just from the "decency" perspective but the "expression" perspective. It's a cop out to show it all. The point of a costume or uniform is to draw the imagination, both away from and toward the mere fact of the performer's bodies. It would be a sin against creativity itself to titillate only by nudity.

It's kind of like rules allowing only certain instrumentation, which force the creators and performers to be as creative as they can be within a certain context, brass, struck percussion...um...

...oh well, forget it. :tongue:

For decades I have felt completely restrained when those cute Scouts come on the field. It's as if I'm the only lady in the crowd who wants to throw my undergarments after their show.

IF...this passed...(just a minute...I need to take a break from writing).

Okay...I'm back.

If the corps came out on the field buck naked, I would finally feel the freedom to join in--I'd be setting the standard for fan participation!

I vote yes!

P.S. If those stiffs that pass the rules will pass this one, I will pledge to never complain about electronics or vocals or really anything for that matter.

GO SCOUTS!

I'm curious.

One of the arguments I've heard regarding synths is that since we are an art form, there's no reason to keep things out of drum corps if they want to use them.

So what about allowing nudity?

Technically people pay money to see performances and DCI is their own private organization, so I'm not sure it would be against the law.

Obviously there would people against it, and people who wouldn't mind it. Only the corps that wanted to use it would use it, maybe 1 or 2 a season.

Also, we would need a rule to only allow 18+ aged members, or possibly create a system where parents give permission for their minor to be involved in drum corps. All this would be worth it in the end, allowing corps to express themselves to the fullest. It may alienate younger fans, but DCI has alienated people in the past so I don't see anything wrong with it.

If it is technically against the law since most of the competitions are outdoors, lets assume that it is allowed as a design similar to how nude sculptures are commonly allowed in public viewing. (perhaps on a flag or something?)

(this isn't necessarily an argument for/against ww's, electronics, etc. I'm really just curious what people would think, especially those so willing to allow new things in DCI.)

It would add a couple of wrinkles to some of the judging categories, no?

Although I guess it would be easier to find ticks under the old system.

Sure we would alienate the 17 and under crowd, but the most important thing is that the corps are able to fully express their artistic desires.

And that's what it's really all about. :tongue:

For decades I have felt completely restrained when those cute Scouts come on the field. It's as if I'm the only lady in the crowd who wants to throw my undergarments after their show.

Okay...I'm back.

If the corps came out on the field buck naked, I would finally feel the freedom to join in--I'd be setting the standard for fan participation!

I vote yes!

P.S. If those stiffs that pass the rules will pass this one, I will pledge to never complain about electronics or vocals or really anything for that matter.

GO SCOUTS!

I'll second that!

That didn't stop DCI from alienating some of the purists (young and old) by adding dance, voice, valves, 3 valves, Bb keyed instruments, amplification, vocal amplification, electronic instruments, and most importantly WATER EFFECTS! I really have no reason to believe they would care about alienating the 17 and under crowd from performances.

It is interesting to note that the bolded list of items all occurred in an 8 year time span. The other 4 took almost 30.

I suspect the Water Effects Rule is another one of those intentional "slippery slope" rules to eventually usher in nudity. We get used to "accidental" wet uniforms from errant water effects, then "simulated wet uniforms", then actual wet uniforms, then wet thin "costumes" and then they say, "water is a crutch and hurts technique..." and BOOM. They pass the 2014 "Natural Epidermis Exposure Rule."

2 words:

Family show.

Wow.....DCP has sunk to a new low. Well, at least one of its posters.

To continue to have fun with this, I would argue against nudity not just from the "decency" perspective but the "expression" perspective. It's a cop out to show it all. The point of a costume or uniform is to draw the imagination, both away from and toward the mere fact of the performer's bodies. It would be a sin against creativity itself to titillate only by nudity.

It's kind of like rules allowing only certain instrumentation, which force the creators and performers to be as creative as they can be within a certain context, brass, struck percussion...um...

...oh well, forget it. :tongue:

I don't understand, how is nudity indecent? It's not like we spill out of the womb swinging a cane, wearing an ascot, suit, and brandishing a top hat. Besides, have you watched a corps rehearsal or seen guard unis lately, ####, those girls might as well be nude :-\

2 words:

Family show.

Wow.....DCP has sunk to a new low. Well, at least one of its posters.

Typical American, quick to get offended by anything, even jokes.

cool_story_bro.jpg

"I'd like to see a nude opera, because when they hit those high notes, I bet you can really see it in those genitals." Jack Handy

Seriously...No one needs to see a nude contra line.

As Jerry Seinfeld said, "There's good naked and bad naked"...a nude Contra line during a "park & paint-peel" is an image one might never be able to erase! :tongue:

Okay...I'm back.

I vote yes!

GO SCOUTS!

That's the funnies thing I've read on here for a VERY long time, thank you for that! :worthy::worthy::tongue::worthy::worthy: