Have you ever brought someone to a show............

Listen to Bluecoats' snares this year. They have those new Yamaha "vents" and sound amazzzzzinnngggg.

Thanks for the heads up man! I've been interested in hearing those vented Yammies. Yamaha comes right after Pearl in sound IMO.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You left out one important detail. What're the stakes?

:doh:

We haven't decided on the stakes yet. I allowed till San Antonio for her to see where the corps start stacking up once they start going head-to-head. She really doesn't seem to care about that.

But yeah, we have yet to determine the stakes. Although I'm sure "bragging rights" will be included.

Have shown some on video (which met with interest but not excitement).

Last year took a friend to the Lafayette show. He was very amazed at just about all of it. His favorite show was Glassmen. He felt it told a story and he enjoyed the circus theme. He wasn't really all that enthralled with Cadets or Crown. He just wasn't into the technical side of things.

And we're going again this year!

Edited by Wadep66

Kinda off the topic but sorta the same....my biggest pet peeve is: When I tell people im going to a Drum Corps show and they say " Oh, you mean like the movie DRUMLINE." I wanna scream each time. :doh:

For the Atlanta show last summer, I took my grandparents and two female cousins (17 and 15). My grandma and cousins really liked it. They dont have much of a musical background and had never seen drum corps before. Their top picks were Phantom, Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Stars, and Cavaliers. My grandma particularly liked Bloo. The younger cousin, who has no musical background, actually really liked BK. They didn't like The Cadets or Blue Devils. My grandpa didn't care for it much, but my grandma fell in love with it. We would go back again this year if possible but we already have another vacation planned.

Over the years i have taken alot of friends and students and they almost always enjoy it.

With a few exceptions, most return to DCI shows.

The last few years, i have gone with "Rookies" to the wildwood NJ show and they always love it until the alumni corps comes out. (not my view, but those of the rookies generally). Things like the flamboyant drum major seem more of a thrill to older rookies than younger ones.

I once took a girlfriends family a few years ago (05) to DCI and they LOVED it. I havent seen the girl in awhile, but her parents still go to shows! lol

On video, its always interesting to see reactions.

I show a little old and a little new and most of my students (who know nothing on any level as its a new program) gravitate toward the new.

I just intro'd them to the activity last year when i took this program over and thier favorites are Blue Devils, Cadets, and Carolina Crown. A few SCV and Cavaliers fans as well. I show them one of my favorite programs of all times (84 Blue Devils) and the first thing they say is "they play really well but they just stand there". lol.

Generation gaps are always going to exist i think.

T

Have you ever brought anyone to a show who was TOTALLY unfamiliar with Drum Corps? In my experience, after the scores and placements are announced and all is said and done, then you ask them who their favorite corps was or who they thought was the best, they almost NEVER pick the corps that won. I was just wondering if other people had that experience or it's just me. I'll bet on the former.

Apologies in advance if I am misunderstanding your purpose, but what is your point? That our more sophisticated appreciation for drum corps is irrelevant?

Because you can make a similar comparison for most other subjective evaluations. The top grossing movie in any given year may or may not be the year's "best" if measured in terms of achievement other than volume. Or in a medium more in line with drum corps, who would argue that the singer who sells the most is also the most talented or even the best performer? Or a better question: Is the everyman standard relevant in any capacity other than commercial? I've taken novices to the ballet. They appreciated little if any of the nuace or accomplishment and responded instead to things that revealed not much about either the ballet or the observer. Some people recognize what makes a wine fine. Some don't. The distinction - whether wine or drum corps - is incidental.

But to answer your question ...

My one and only newbie guest joined me at semi-finals in Boston in 2005. I can't remember whether he thought Cadets were best that night. What I remember is his increasing appreciation for what he was seeing as the night progressed. I remember in particular after SCV performed in (I believe) 10th place that night, he turned to me and said in an incredulous voice: You mean there will be nine corps better than that?

HH

I have done this before and enjoy it tremendously. I will qualify this by saying that the day woodwinds are added to drum corps is the day I will no longer bring students or friends to a drum corps show.

I can't figure out why any such qualification would be necessary to answer this question. But now that you've said it, we're going to be expecting you to keep your word!

HH

My daughter's first show was 2000...she was going on 15. Her favorite corps was the Kiwanis Kavaliers because they were playing "Miss Saigon", which she had recently seen on Broadway.

She also liked the Raiders, because they had a girl on snare (I think it was snare), and she is a drummer.

Cadets, BD, etc....were ok...I think she told me she liked the Cadets because she knew dad marched there! :doh: