Bus Stories

In '78 or '79 a truck driver said on the radio "What the ####?!?!?! There's a god-### Blue Devil bus making a u-turn in the middle of the freeway!"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky Ryder Hell Tour 1987 when our buses were impounded in Boulder Colorado for a Week. We made the news.

We had many bus breakdowns tht year. More than in 1985 for some reason.

Edited by Kansan

On our way to Drums Along the Rockies....chugging uphill.

My seat was right up front, so I could hear the radio chatter. A semi passes Big Blue (our semi) and asks "What the hell is a Blue Devil?"

To which one of our other drivers replies "It's a gay gospel group!"

A nice laugh at the time!

Sam I recall this the same year the 04 lost its transmission in Colorado. and out of fear of the bus dying before getting to the school destination the other buses were used to block an intersection so the 04 didn't have to stop and have the engine stall.

Sam I recall this the same year the 04 lost its transmission in Colorado. and out of fear of the bus dying before getting to the school destination the other buses were used to block an intersection so the 04 didn't have to stop and have the engine stall.

I'd forgotten that one! Going into Grand Junction, IIRC....same place that temperature inversion made it possible for us and VK to trade chords across town!

I think that same incident was where I heard one of VK's drivers offering to push the bus with his vehicle...the equipment trailer, think. I remember our guys saying thanks but we had it under control....I think they were REALLY worried about the VK tractor blowing up! They went through...what 4 of them that year??? We kept passing it on the side of the road!

How about any Ithaca stories?

I have an "Ithaca story"..... (although not a bus related one)

In '74 my brother and I decided at the last minute to drive off 9 hours after work and into in the middle of the night to Ithaca, NY to see the DCI Championships. We arrived just before morning prelims with no place to stay and all hotels booked for miles. We found out that Ithaca College, at that time an All Girls College closed for the summer had decided to open the dorms to a handul of people. We had arrived early, so we were one of a few lucky ones to get a room at the college only up a hill from the stadium. They charged us about $10. The room overlooked the stadium below where you could literally see the Corps on the field, and the Corps in sequence lined up to go into the stadium. It was friggin' gorgeous and perfect. Later at Finals we hooked up with friends and got good seats for Finals. They told us they had great accommodations " about 6 miles away and booked the hotel in the Spring and only payed $30. a nite. " I looked at my brother, we smiled and never said a word about where we were staying, how we got it, and the cost.

Ithaca was a great time and a wonderful upstate NY area ( home to Cornell U. ) The Corps were all terrific. Santa Clara Vanguard won, and we got to see a new upstart Corps from out west that looked promising for the future and came in 9th.... the Blue Devils.

Edited by BRASSO

How about any Ithaca stories?

Just got back from there (hotel base for a week in the Finger Lakes). :thumbup:

Back On Topic: Only trip my dad took with our Senior corps was an exhibition at a pre-season NFL game (Steelers-Jets) at the Meadowlands. Bus drivers wanted to stay out of traffic so we left second the game was over. We're on the bridge to the NJ Turnpike and my dad was sitting with the Quartermaster (dad helped him at the game). Dad looks down and says "Now what's this ###hole trying to do?" Then he stands up and we hear a muffled *THUD*. Bus driver looks up and asks "What the #### was that" and gets told "Pull over Howie, we got hit".

Middle of the bridge so we pull over and wait for the cops. Meanwhile dad is telling the driver that the car that hit us was driving in the berm of the road beside us for a while. Twice he acted like he wanted in our lane but ..... well the bus was there. :tongue: Finally it was like "screw it" and he merged into the bus. Cops don't show up so driver calls again.... and again... Finally a cop gets on and wants to know "what problem" the bus driver has as the cops ARE at the accident. I look at the next bridge and there are flashing red lights all over the place. Walk up to the driver and say "Hey Howie... maybe they're over there" and point. :blink: Bus driver gets on the CB and tells the cop "Look one bridge over and tell me if you see anything". Cop says "Looks like a couple of buses". Bus drivers response is "Yeah, that's us". :blink:

Cops show up in 5 minutes and the bus drivers get out of the buses. Guy in the car gets out..... and falls flat on his face drunk. Cop tells the car driver "Get the #### back in that car!". Then the cop gets the bus company business card from one of the drivers and we're moving three minutes after the cop shows up. :blink:

In the meantime all the traffic from the stadium has driven by us. Someone had the guts to tell the driver "Well you don't have to worry about traffic now". Surprised the driver didn't clobber him.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I have an "Ithaca story"..... (although not a bus related one)

In '74 my brother and I decided at the last minute to drive off 9 hours after work and into in the middle of the night to Ithaca, NY to see the DCI Championships. We arrived just before morning prelims with no place to stay and all hotels booked for miles. We found out that Ithaca College, at that time an All Girls College closed for the summer had decided to open the dorms to a handul of people. We had arrived early, so we were one of a few lucky ones to get a room at the college only up a hill from the stadium. They charged us about $10. The room overlooked the stadium below where you could literally see the Corps on the field, and the Corps in sequence lined up to go into the stadium. It was friggin' gorgeous and perfect. Later at Finals we hooked up with friends and got good seats for Finals. They told us they had great accommodations " about 6 miles away and booked the hotel in the Spring and only payed $30. a nite. " I looked at my brother, we smiled and never said a word about where we were staying, how we got it, and the cost.

Ithaca was a great time and a wonderful upstate NY area ( home to Cornell U. ) The Corps were all terrific. Santa Clara Vanguard won, and we got to see a new upstart Corps from out west that looked promising for the future and came in 9th.... the Blue Devils.

Me and my friend did about the same thing, we stayed at Ithica College in the dorm too. Someone dragged a couch into the elevator and partied all night long going up and down.

We had Silver Eagle busses from which the bathrooms had been removed to allow for some additional seating (some of you have seen comments about how large BR and RM were). During the day busses could be coed, but at night they were strictly seperated.

On the boy's buses we installed a unique device that would allow us drain liquids as we headed down the highway; a large funnel rigged into the door well attached to a piece of surgical tubing that ran outside and underneath the door. To afford some modicum of privacy a shower curtain was hung acroos the well so that the driver and user of these facilities would be isolated from each other. The use of this device required some bus surfing along with one hand on the rail and the other hand to guide 'equipment', making it somewhat of a challenge to use.

Couple this rig with a few sadistic drivers and you get a rookie initiation like no other. When a rook would go to use this facility for the first time he would inevitably get introduced to nature by the door flying open when his fly was open.

Funny? Outstandingly! Said sadistic bus drivers would often drift into the left lane (when on a four lane stretch) and attempt to pass other vehicles (girl's bus included) before opening the doors to reveal all. I think I recall the girls devising score cards at some point since drivers didn't seem to care after a while if you were a rook or not. They would perform the manuever randomly.

Dangerous? You bet! We almost lost one rook this way as he lost his balance and had a grip on the door and the hand rail. Someone had to assist him back into the bus amidst yelling and laughter. It was then that the practice came to a halt.

Edited by Bleu Raeder

We had Silver Eagle busses from which the bathrooms had been removed to allow for some additional seating (some of you have seen comments about how large BR and RM were). During the day busses could be coed, but at night they were strictly seperated.

On the boy's buses we installed a unique device that would allow us drain liquids as we headed down the highway; a large funnel rigged into the door well attached to a piece of surgical tubing that ran outside and underneath the door. To afford some modicum of privacy a shower curtain was hung acroos the well so that the driver and user of these facilities would be isolated from each other. The use of this device required some bus surfing along with one hand on the rail and the other hand to guide 'equipment', making it somewhat of a challenge to use.

Couple this rig with a few sadistic drivers and you get a rookie initiation like no other. When a rook would go to use this facility for the first time he would inevitably get introduced to nature by the door flying open when his fly was open.

Funny? Outstandingly! Said sadistic bus drivers would often drift into the left lane (when on a four lane stretch) and attempt to pass other vehicles (girl's bus included) before opening the doors to reveal all. I think I recall the girls devising score cards at some point since drivers didn't seem to care after a while if you were a rook or not. They would perform the manuever randomly.

Dangerous? You bet! We almost lost one rook this way as he lost his balance and had a grip on the door and the hand rail. Someone had to assist him back into the bus amidst yelling and laughter. It was then that the practice came to a halt.

Great story I burst out laughing at work!

Not quite a bus story-but corps vehicle nonetheless. A year before I joined GBV, our equipment truck was headed up route 8 toward Butler. There was an adult video store (dirty book store) that was being vigorously protested by some Christian folks. It was covered by tv crews as I recall. The person (who shall remain nameless) driving the equipment truck was so busy watching all of the drama that he failed to realize the truck was heading off the road and it plowed into a tree. The truck eventually recovered, but I am not sure about the tree.

This was the truck, but not the driver at the time.

Carlequipmentruck83or84.jpg