Good Lord...........there is a resemblance.....lololol.....Jerome tell your master about the jam at Kevin's party.....

all is well, my master. :unhappy:

PS Danny is a riot on facebook. :ph34r:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a great show and a great day overall. I basically did the parking lot tour for most of the night ... with the exception of CT & Cabs so that is all I can really comment on.

CT has a great show. As everyone has said, the colorguard is phenominal -- and its only June!!!!!!! The show itself is very enjoyable. As I said to most of them in the parking lot, it seemed to taper out a little towards the end ... but again -- its only June.

Cabs were just the opposite for me, the started off slow. Once they hit the ballad, the hit it hard. I won't comment on any particular section ... its only June. (See a theme here ... LOL).

Edited by st8smenguard

Bush, Cabs & Hurcs guards ~ really all three of them are so incredibly talented that I'm going to be very frustrated waiting around til Kingston til I can see you all again.

I'm with ya on all counts Liz! Sorry I missed ya the other night though :(

all is well, my master. :worthy:

PS Danny is a riot on facebook. :worthy:

I don't get the whole Facebook thing... I'm so ##### busy that I had to ask who this Billy Mays was who just died. I was afraid it was Willie Mays, the greatest ballplayer in history.

Dan is a riot in person though.

Glad to hear you're doing well. Want to play in a baritone quartet?

I don't get the whole Facebook thing... I'm so ##### busy that I had to ask who this Billy Mays was who just died. I was afraid it was Willie Mays, the greatest ballplayer in history.

Dan is a riot in person though.

Glad to hear you're doing well. Want to play in a baritone quartet?

Maybe,i havent a lot of time to spare these days between gf,work, Bush, and school starting in Sept.What did you have in mind. PM me, Im sure EVERYONE needs to read these spectacular posts.

Willie Mays died? :worthy:

Loved the comment - Caballeros very predictable "spanish" show - So what would you expect Hawthorne to play - perhaps Mozart ? Kinda like saying the Skyliners Alumni should never play anything related to New York. Suggest you didn't spend enough time in your HS band to learn much.

My take: no notes to work from:

Brass Ensemble Park City PrideGot things off with some fine brass work. I could practically feel the contra, loud-but accurate. After a quick tune, they exited the field.

PAL Buccaneers Junior Drum and Bugle Corps

A small community based parade corps of about a dozen brass and 1/2 dozen percussion. I can't recall if there was a cg. The kids were very young, but had great heart and played several standards to good effect. Showed all the signs of good instruction and with a few more members will be quite effective. The kids played with heart and the audience rewareded them with a standing O. I wonder how many of these community based corps are left?

Teal Sound

Fantastic brass. The book sounded very good for this early in the year. Nice guard work. The battery was a bit understated. I like the show-Velvet Rope. The music was well-recieved with recognizable melodies from a number of contempary artists. I've made no secret that I oppose synths and amps. Nevertheless, the synth was tastefully used-and was not much of a distraction. On the other hand, part of the pit area is devoted to a grunge band who features 2 guitars, electric bass and trap set. This was less well-integrated. The boys only played at a few spots in the show and seemed to not know what to do when they were not playing. Maybe get them off the guitar stuff when not playing-or hide behind a prop? or give them some accessories? Also, their amps-particularly the guitars-were kind of drowned out-the mix wasn't so hot. Since this was Teal's first show, (I think I heard it was their first show) it will take time to iron out the technical bugs. All-in-all, with a snappy guard, powerful brass section and fine battery, Teal Sound should have a good year!

CRU

Much, much smaller than last year, the brass section struggled to sell the Gustav Holst show. The charts have some very pretty moments and the small guard did their best to round out the presentation. But Cru's magnificent battery-once a key strength-is much depleted. Only 2 snares remain, and they performed yeoman duties-playing with confidence and a decent quality of sound. Still-Cru just needs more bodies (in all sections) on the field to be in the mix.

CorpsVets

Brought Southern fixins! Brass section was wailing-backed by an effective battery and pit. The guard was hi-energy and nicely complimented the music. The crowd was clapping along to practically every song they played. When I saw the scores, I was surprised that CV was not scored a bit higher. They are in the thick of things this year! Excellent show and excellent performance!!!! If there was a crowd favorite award for the evening, it's likely that CV would have won!

Bush

Almost an exact replay of this time last year. Ultra-cool show, effective battery & pit, BIG athletic guard (28) and too few in the brass section (around 18ish). Due to the complicated nature of the charts, it was sometimes difficult to follow the brass charts. But this show and corps have potential-just like last year. With a few more bodies in the brass section, Bush will have an awesome show by finals.

Hurcs

The best guard in the business. I've been saying that for a few years now. Meantime the Hurcs battery has become seasoned over the past several years, and is a force in itself. The tenors-in particular-were really groovin, playing some nice licks. The drill seemed a little sloppy at times, but boy-this is an impact corps. I don't look for them to peak early this year. The folks in Blue better be on their game. Of course, The honor guard always impresses. Excellent show and well-deserved win by Hurcs.

Cabs.

10 snares!!!! I was diggin that. Not quite as tight as last year, but I think that this battery will drive the corps in time. Cabs percussion is a strength and they also have a large athletic guard, perhaps just a shade less extroverted when compared to Hurcs. Nice, active drill-I thought there was adequete movement-that suits the music. Cabs show is pretty seamless-although I thought the brass performance perhaps could have been a bit tighter. I thought the distance between the top two coprs was perhaps a bit closer.

Park City Pride

Closed the show in rousing style. Awesome drum solo-with the timbales-crowd was really diggin that-it sounded pretty wild. Big brassy sound and clap along favorites. You can't beat that or the rifle section that doubles as cymbal players. Park City Pride put on a class show that left me wanting a little more!

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

My take: no notes to work from:

CorpsVets

Brought Southern fixins! Brass section was wailing-backed by an effective battery and pit. The guard was hi-energy and nicely complimented the music. The crowd was clapping along to practically every song they played. When I saw the scores, I was surprised that CV was not scored a bit higher. They are in the thick of things this year! Excellent show and excellent performance!!!! If there was a crowd favorite award for the evening, it's likely that CV would have won!

Some of the best words I've ever read about a group I'm performing in. Thank you very much.

We're not done yet. :thumbup:

Loved the comment - Caballeros very predictable "spanish" show - So what would you expect Hawthorne to play - perhaps Mozart ? Kinda like saying the Skyliners Alumni should never play anything related to New York. Suggest you didn't spend enough time in your HS band to learn much.

Every year we have questions of: Wasn't any one at the show? Why aren't there any reviews??

It's snarky, slap in the face, completely uncalled for comments like this that keep people from bothering to offer a review.

Every year we have questions of: Wasn't any one at the show? Why aren't there any reviews??

It's snarky, slap in the face, completely uncalled for comments like this that keep people from bothering to offer a review.

To EVERYONE out there.....

Please don't get Liz upset......I don't like Liz when she is upset.....Liz is no fun when she is upset. :thumbup:

I like the upbeat Liz.......She's fun!!!! :blink::tongue::blink:

Missed you in Bridgeport Liz......sorry! I hope you are well!!!