Drums (and synths) on Parade

I truly cannot understand how this reviewer can completely ignore the Kilties being there. My understanding is that they expected to be scored on DCA sheets Sunday. So at this point there is no report on a score and apparently no comments on whether their performance was enjoyable or not.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i was skimiing the review and missed the line where he said he was late to the show.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good review, Galen. Well done!

Really? I didn't know that DCA corps did this. Can you provide some examples?

yeah Patsy at Empire will be thrilled knowing she was called college aged.

yeah Patsy at Empire will be thrilled knowing she was called college aged.

Although I am quite sure my original statement is true, I cannot give specific examples for fear of not being totally accurate. I was told that some of the Eastern DCA corps use all or part of collegiate drum lines. Two corps in particular, I recall, were struggling to find replacement drum lines when deals with a couple of universities fell through...not sure why...had to do with offering college credits. Maybe somebody with more knowledge could speak directly to this.

Some corps also pay professional trumpeters, too...and, again, the Kilts have never done that either.

Just a few quick comments and a brief Kiltie review.

A lot is made of "Kiltie feet"....heavy and plodding with different styles among the members. Though better than last year at this time, it is still troublesome...the spats hurt. I do think the age of the corps members make this problem inevitable, so I believe it is time for the Kilts to come up with a uniform change that will eliminate the spats...perhaps a more "Scottish peasant look" rather than the military look. Other DCA corps have heaby feet as well, but they have hiddent that with uniform colors and styles. I must also say that, with the exception of Phantom, ALL the corps had problems with feet...tempo issues, being out-of-step, etc.

This is a source of concern for the corps every year. I made a point of watching feet at 08 DCA prelims and finals and youre correct the feet in All Age are problematic regardless of who youre talking about, but no one but Kilties continues to put big white searchlights on their feet to advertise them. The consensus always returns to the fact that most people feel the spats are so integral to the look that they cant be eliminated without really harming the tradition.

Kilties have one of the most recognizable and distinct "brands" out there. Different is good. 20 minutes suit up time and noticeable feet is a small price to pay for that.

Edited by Scerpella

oh boy. the pay thing.

a word of advice...when making statements like this, offer up concrete proof before you say "well I heard".

I know lots of folks in all of the NE corps, and I can tell you, while some corps may recruit hard at local universities, it's because they are just that...local.

oh boy. the pay thing.

a word of advice...when making statements like this, offer up concrete proof before you say "well I heard".

I know lots of folks in all of the NE corps, and I can tell you, while some corps may recruit hard at local universities, it's because they are just that...local.

Jeff, you know exactly what I am talking about as your comment suggests....and you are well aware that it does no good to name corps. When taken in the context of my original Kiltie , the comment is legit...some Eastern corps do heavy college recruiting; some put parts or entire drum lines under contract...usually for college credit.

this was not meant to be a criticism...just citing a difference between Kilts and some other DCA corps.

Jeff, you know exactly what I am talking about as your comment suggests....and you are well aware that it does no good to name corps. When taken in the context of my original Kiltie , the comment is legit...some Eastern corps do heavy college recruiting; some put parts or entire drum lines under contract...usually for college credit.

this was not meant to be a criticism...just citing a difference between Kilts and some other DCA corps.

heavy recruiting isnt the same as cutting deals with college lines as you said. there's HUGE difference. they may be under contract to march there, like many corps do with a member...but there arent contracts with the schools themselves to supply members which is what your post insinuated.

sorry, but your 2nd post is more akin to the real reality than your original just by the wording alone.

and...no offense to the Kilties....but given how the activity is going, the youth movement by many DCA corps is the way to go if you want competitive success.

as for the pay thing...we've been hearing about it for 15 years now, and no one has still shown any proof, so it's just a bad perpetuated rumor until someone offers it up.

Are the Kilties ready to break into DCA's top ten? Probably not....the visual package, though attractive, is just too slow and the Kilts do not employ, under contract, a collegiate drum line like so many of the Eastern DCA corps do.

Yeah... i know some people have already addressed this, but having marched in two east coast DCA lines in the second half of this decade (Brigs and Bucs), i hate to see this kind of stuff even start.

For starters, Most of the "College kids" involved (at least where i am) are marching junior corps.

Second, College band (in most programs) is over in November. Not alot of college programs even functioning at that time. So to say that an entire "program" is shipped off to a drum corps is also pretty silly.

Speaking only for my experience,

the years i marched Brigs had very few college guys.

a couple of different SUNY's represented etc.

my Bucs season had a couple from Kutztown, 1 or 2 WCU, 1 or 2 U Del, and a few others.

Some even had some people WAY too old to be doing this (cough**me)

And certainly, nobody paid me to do it! (of course that might be because of my 30 year old "old man hands". lol

survived though.

So anyway, yeah.