Stockton Sizzlin'

Man.... it was hot tonight.... in more ways than one. Before I get into it, I'd first like to applaud two groups of folks.

1) I applaud every corps that performed tonight. I was thoroughly impressed with every corps I watched. As the final corps was marching off of the field, I couldn't help but say out loud: "It's still June!"

2) I'd like to also applaud S.O.M.E. for running a great show. Even though I was left sitting around in extremely hot temperatures in the stands with nothing to do but fry like a mozzarella stick, I couldn't have been happier with the decision to push back the performance by an hour due to the heat. When I first arrived and took a seat, I felt like I was melting. I was sweating like something out of a cartoon; and as this was happening, I couldn't help but think about what would happen if the old-timers (no offense intended!) in the senior corps and the little ones in BDC would be forced to perform in that mess.

In case anybody from S.O.M.E. and/or volunteers in charge of that show are reading this, the show was very smoothly and intelligently run. Well done!

Now before I get into my review of the individual corps, I'd like to put my cards on the table. As you can easily glean from my name, I marched in SCV. I marched 1998-2001. I am also a band director that works for the kiddos, so please be assured that I'm going to review each corps fairly and without bias.

Renegades: Yeah, man! The brass line may not have been as loud as I've heard from them in past years, but good grief... I can't recall them having a better ensemble sound in recent memory. No overblowing trumpets or baritones, no major stickouts... just a lush, wall of sound throughout.

The guard, although small, was solid. As for the visual package, those folks were movin'! I couldn't help but smile in adoration as I watched these older folks run around at fast tempos. Again, no offense intended. You guys impressed me! The drumline, although dirty at times, was mostly solid. Although I thought the use of solos was a little overdone (particularly in the second movement), I also felt that they were effective. Great job tonight, folks!

Blue Devils C: Very cool! The drumline and colorguard are both, individually, bigger than the hornline.... but the hornline put out some sound! I had heard tales of the colorguard girl so young and small that she couldn't hold a flag but when I saw it for myself, all I could do was give an aloud: "awwww". Congrats to the Blue Devils organization for putting out another quality show for these youngsters.

Velvet Knights: I had to educate my Sinfonian brothers that I was sitting with that you were once a top 12 corps not too long ago. You keep this up and you'll be back there again, my friends! Very entertaining show. You have a very talented lead trumpet player that stuck out sometimes due to your small hornline, but overall the brass did very well. The guard and visual program were good, but what most impressed me was the drumline. Nicely done, tonight.

SCV Cadets: Very good all the way through. Even though BDB won the open division tonight, I felt that SCVC's brass and percussion lines outperformed BDB. They were more musical and had much more dynamic contrast. They also had a more balanced wall of sound. As I now check the recap sheets, it would seem that the judges agree with me. Nicely played! If I were blind, I would have wondered why BDB won the show.

BDB Very well done. BDB is BIG this year, and they sound big. In addition, they have a very good visual book. The color guard was great, and difficult drill was handled pretty well. There is plenty of cleaning left to do, but great job this early in the season. The bigger size of this corps, I'm sure, helped to win General Effect.... but a great drill design helped as well. I have two previous students and one current student in this group... congrats you guys on a job well done!

Mandarins: I apologize, but I was absent for this performance. I had a mini-emergency that I had to take care of during the intermission, and I got back just as they were starting. I couldn't get to my seat and only got to hear them from around a corner. Nice sound, though. Improvement every year. A great step forward for this corps!

Troopers: Personally, I felt this group got robbed... HARD! Now do I think they should have placed higher? Not necessarily, but I do think they should have been scored higher. The Troop is BIG this year. They are one of three groups that I felt had a lush, balanced sound tonight. The guard and percussion were very good and the visual was solid. Very nicely done. One of my friends was quoted as saying: "Now that's a quality show." Absolutely.

(The order was a little out of the ordinary tonight in the world class. It went Mandarins, Troopers, Blue Knights, SCV, BD, Bluecoats. I'm not sure why it was in that order. Must have been luck of the draw.)

Blue Knights: Biggest thing I'd like to say is clean, clean, clean! There is a lot of stuff going on, and it's really dirty. This is a great show that just needs to be cleaned. Very nice job, but work your buts off in July and August will be fun for you :blink:

My critiques - take 'em or leave 'em - are this: The award for the most poor use of a synthesizer goes to... yeah... I'm all for the inclusion of synths for drum corps, but I was not pleased with their use of it.

I was really distracted by the clydesdale movement of the left foot before every move. Was this intentional for the show? And if so, why? Is it part of their technique? Hmmm....

Also, why is almost every drill move a cover-down file?

Not trying to be harsh here, but these are my questions.

SCV: Throughout the show, my Sinfonian companions didn't stand and clap much (at least until the end).... but what I did hear, at least a dozen occasions, was the word: "Wow!" And I couldn't agree more.... WOW! Despite what you see and hear on the fan network, all you can say is wow while watching this show. There are a lot more impacts in the show than you think, based on the FN showings. You barely notice the relatively slow visual movements live because you're so entranced by everything else. SCV was the second out of three that had a very lush, well-balanced sound throughout. Do I think the corps needs to amp up their impacts (visually and musically) a bit more? Yes. Do I think it needs any major changes? No. That being said, I heard from a direct source that tempos will be rising and visual changes (nothing major) will be made soon.

I have read on these forums from various people that they think the synth is overused, particularly during the final impact.... but they are dead wrong. You barely notice the synth there. In fact, I think SCV has done a better job than any other corps this year in disguising the synth. You notice the bass a bit, but I think it gives the ending a bit of a regal, church feel. I felt like I was listening to a full-sized organ. I don't know if that's what they were intending, but it was very effective nonetheless. This show will be a contender this year!

Blue Devils: Very melodic. Very cool. I thought that the use of all of those chairs would be stupid, but when I saw it, I realized what Scott was thinking. Not only did they pull off the chair usage, but they actually made it cool. When the hornline sat in them and started the leg movements, everybody around me (including me) started chuckling and cheering. Well done! The guard is amazing, and this corps is very clean. That being said....

Okay here is my critique.... take it or leave it: Here's my biggest one.... and has been for many many MANY years the same one.... When is DCI going to stop rewarding corps that have extremely top-heavy corps and start rewarding corps that have lush, balanced sounds? BD sounds loud because higher frequencies sound louder, and that's all you hear with this corps.... the trumpets and mellophones. Yes, they sound loud and full because 1) higher frequencies sound louder and 2) they have probably the best high brass section year in and year out, but good grief. You almost never hear the low brass. This is not balance. This is not worthy of winning high brass.... yet they do it so often. Even during the encore performance, it was top heavy. They put the tubas up IN FRONT OF THE DRUMLINE and then split the trumpets evenly on both sides to try and disguise it so it doesn't sound like all the sound is coming from one side (which is ingenious by the way) but it's still top heavy. That's not a winning hornline to me.

Yes, I'm an SCV person, but I know it when I hear it. 1997 and 1998 SCV had the same problem, and they were rewarded for it. STOP IT!

Bluecoats: BLUUUUUUUUUUUE! Yeah, I had to explain that one to my Sinfonian friends, too. They thought I was booing them. LOL. Great job, tonight! This is the third corps that I thought had a great balance (brass) throughout the show. My biggest comment about them is that they need to clean, clean, clean. They are marching and playing a lot of HARD STUFF. If they clean this up, then watch out! I can't help but thinking of 1998 Vanguard when watching the end of their show. Some of us always thought we should have stopped at our big jazz piece in 98 (hear ye, hear ye) . I get the same feeling watching Bluecoats' show. Clean your show overall, especially the closer, and you have a contender!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree w/ you on pretty much everything Brother!

SCV's show design reminds me a LOT of SCV 98-99....

OAS AAS LLS!!!!

Blue Devils: Very melodic. Very cool. I thought that the use of all of those chairs would be stupid, but when I saw it, I realized what Scott was thinking. Not only did they pull off the chair usage, but they actually made it cool. When the hornline sat in them and started the leg movements, everybody around me (including me) started chuckling and cheering. Well done! The guard is amazing, and this corps is very clean. That being said....

Okay here is my critique.... take it or leave it: Here's my biggest one.... and has been for many many MANY years the same one.... When is DCI going to stop rewarding corps that have extremely top-heavy corps and start rewarding corps that have lush, balanced sounds? BD sounds loud because higher frequencies sound louder, and that's all you hear with this corps.... the trumpets and mellophones. Yes, they sound loud and full because 1) higher frequencies sound louder and 2) they have probably the best high brass section year in and year out, but good grief. You almost never hear the low brass. This is not balance. This is not worthy of winning high brass.... yet they do it so often. Even during the encore performance, it was top heavy. They put the tubas up IN FRONT OF THE DRUMLINE and then split the trumpets evenly on both sides to try and disguise it so it doesn't sound like all the sound is coming from one side (which is ingenious by the way) but it's still top heavy. That's not a winning hornline to me.

Yes, I'm an SCV person, but I know it when I hear it. 1997 and 1998 SCV had the same problem, and they were rewarded for it. STOP IT!

Fair criticism! When Downey and Meehan went with all Euphs this year, I'm certain that they had a specific balance in mind. They're not there yet on the field. The CD music is perfect and as soon as they find that balance they will satisfy your ears...I'm certain! Great overall review!

Edited by Plan9

Fair criticism! When Downey and Meehan went with all Euphs this year, I'm certain that they had a specific balance in mind. They're not there yet on the field. The CD music is perfect and as soon as they find that balance they will satisfy your ears...I'm certain! Great overall review!

Thank you, sir.

You know, that might be what Downey wants though. They are a jazz oriented hornline... and like any big band or jazz group, the top is heavy and sits well over the rest of the ensemble. I'll agree that maybe they can write some of the trumpet parts down a smidgen in the more 'classical' sections.

You know, that might be what Downey wants though. They are a jazz oriented hornline... and like any big band or jazz group, the top is heavy and sits well over the rest of the ensemble. I'll agree that maybe they can write some of the trumpet parts down a smidgen in the more 'classical' sections.

I agree. In jazz music, you expect top-heavy sounds. Heck, if you ever try and adjust your DVD player or radio to the "jazz" setting, what happens? It boosts the treble up a ton. This is why the Blue Devils have been so successful over the years. They stick to jazz and are rewarded for having unbalanced hornlines because of the nature of jazz. I mean, think of what has happened to BD when they didn't play jazz (1998 anyone?).

Fact is, I think the judging community needs to realize that getting a balanced hornline is HARD TO DO. The physics of sound is fighting against you. Higher frequencies sound louder by nature of the higher frequency. To get a truly balanced line, you either have to get your high brass to play softer or you have to have an amazing low brass line. SCV, among others, simply isn't getting rewarded for that right now, and they need to be.

Edited by scvjesse

I agree. In jazz music, you expect top-heavy sounds. Heck, if you ever try and adjust your DVD player or radio to the "jazz" setting, what happens? It boosts the treble up a ton. This is why the Blue Devils have been so successful over the years. They stick to jazz and are rewarded for having unbalanced hornlines because of the nature of jazz. I mean, think of what has happened to BD when they didn't play jazz (1998 anyone?).

Fact is, I think the judging community needs to realize that getting a balanced hornline is HARD TO DO. The physics of sound is fighting against you. Higher frequencies sound louder by nature of the higher frequency. To get a truly balanced line, you either have to get your high brass to play softer or you have to have an amazing low brass line. SCV simply isn't getting rewarded for that right now, and they need to be.

Blue Devils won brass in 1998.

BD has a unique sound and in my opinion it compliments the music they play very well. You can actually give the judges some credit this year, they have been knocking Devs for musicality.

Edited by bluublood

Blue Devils won brass in 1998.

BD has a unique sound and in my opinion it compliments the music they play very well. You can actually give the judges some credit this year, they have been knocking Devs for musicality.

Yes, they won high brass that year. They were able to balance the high brass to the low brass that year, and look what it did to their corps placement. They placed under a top heavy SCV and Cadets because a balanced sound isn't as exciting as a top-heavy, loud sound in the minds of judges.

This needs to stop.

Man.... it was hot tonight.... in more ways than one. Before I get into it, I'd first like to applaud two groups of folks.

1) I applaud every corps that performed tonight. I was thoroughly impressed with every corps I watched. As the final corps was marching off of the field, I couldn't help but say out loud: "It's still June!"

2) I'd like to also applaud S.O.M.E. for running a great show. Even though I was left sitting around in extremely hot temperatures in the stands with nothing to do but fry like a mozzarella stick, I couldn't have been happier with the decision to push back the performance by an hour due to the heat. When I first arrived and took a seat, I felt like I was melting. I was sweating like something out of a cartoon; and as this was happening, I couldn't help but think about what would happen if the old-timers (no offense intended!) in the senior corps and the little ones in BDC would be forced to perform in that mess.

In case anybody from S.O.M.E. and/or volunteers in charge of that show are reading this, the show was very smoothly and intelligently run. Well done!

Now before I get into my review of the individual corps, I'd like to put my cards on the table. As you can easily glean from my name, I marched in SCV. I marched 1998-2001. I am also a band director that works for the kiddos, so please be assured that I'm going to review each corps fairly and without bias.

Renegades: Yeah, man! The brass line may not have been as loud as I've heard from them in past years, but good grief... I can't recall them having a better ensemble sound in recent memory. No overblowing trumpets or baritones, no major stickouts... just a lush, wall of sound throughout.

The guard, although small, was solid. As for the visual package, those folks were movin'! I couldn't help but smile in adoration as I watched these older folks run around at fast tempos. Again, no offense intended. You guys impressed me! The drumline, although dirty at times, was mostly solid. Although I thought the use of solos was a little overdone (particularly in the second movement), I also felt that they were effective. Great job tonight, folks!

Blue Devils C: Very cool! The drumline and colorguard are both, individually, bigger than the hornline.... but the hornline put out some sound! I had heard tales of the colorguard girl so young and small that she couldn't hold a flag but when I saw it for myself, all I could do was give an aloud: "awwww". Congrats to the Blue Devils organization for putting out another quality show for these youngsters.

Velvet Knights: I had to educate my Sinfonian brothers that I was sitting with that you were once a top 12 corps not too long ago. You keep this up and you'll be back there again, my friends! Very entertaining show. You have a very talented lead trumpet player that stuck out sometimes due to your small hornline, but overall the brass did very well. The guard and visual program were good, but what most impressed me was the drumline. Nicely done, tonight.

SCV Cadets: Very good all the way through. Even though BDB won the open division tonight, I felt that SCVC's brass and percussion lines outperformed BDB. They were more musical and had much more dynamic contrast. They also had a more balanced wall of sound. As I now check the recap sheets, it would seem that the judges agree with me. Nicely played! If I were blind, I would have wondered why BDB won the show.

BDB Very well done. BDB is BIG this year, and they sound big. In addition, they have a very good visual book. The color guard was great, and difficult drill was handled pretty well. There is plenty of cleaning left to do, but great job this early in the season. The bigger size of this corps, I'm sure, helped to win General Effect.... but a great drill design helped as well. I have two previous students and one current student in this group... congrats you guys on a job well done!

Mandarins: I apologize, but I was absent for this performance. I had a mini-emergency that I had to take care of during the intermission, and I got back just as they were starting. I couldn't get to my seat and only got to hear them from around a corner. Nice sound, though. Improvement every year. A great step forward for this corps!

Troopers: Personally, I felt this group got robbed... HARD! Now do I think they should have placed higher? Not necessarily, but I do think they should have been scored higher. The Troop is BIG this year. They are one of three groups that I felt had a lush, balanced sound tonight. The guard and percussion were very good and the visual was solid. Very nicely done. One of my friends was quoted as saying: "Now that's a quality show." Absolutely.

(The order was a little out of the ordinary tonight in the world class. It went Mandarins, Troopers, Blue Knights, SCV, BD, Bluecoats. I'm not sure why it was in that order. Must have been luck of the draw.)

Blue Knights: Biggest thing I'd like to say is clean, clean, clean! There is a lot of stuff going on, and it's really dirty. This is a great show that just needs to be cleaned. Very nice job, but work your buts off in July and August will be fun for you :worthy:

My critiques - take 'em or leave 'em - are this: The award for the most poor use of a synthesizer goes to... yeah... I'm all for the inclusion of synths for drum corps, but I was not pleased with their use of it.

I was really distracted by the clydesdale movement of the left foot before every move. Was this intentional for the show? And if so, why? Is it part of their technique? Hmmm....

Also, why is almost every drill move a cover-down file?

Not trying to be harsh here, but these are my questions.

SCV: Throughout the show, my Sinfonian companions didn't stand and clap much (at least until the end).... but what I did hear, at least a dozen occasions, was the word: "Wow!" And I couldn't agree more.... WOW! Despite what you see and hear on the fan network, all you can say is wow while watching this show. There are a lot more impacts in the show than you think, based on the FN showings. You barely notice the relatively slow visual movements live because you're so entranced by everything else. SCV was the second out of three that had a very lush, well-balanced sound throughout. Do I think the corps needs to amp up their impacts (visually and musically) a bit more? Yes. Do I think it needs any major changes? No. That being said, I heard from a direct source that tempos will be rising and visual changes (nothing major) will be made soon.

I have read on these forums from various people that they think the synth is overused, particularly during the final impact.... but they are dead wrong. You barely notice the synth there. In fact, I think SCV has done a better job than any other corps this year in disguising the synth. You notice the bass a bit, but I think it gives the ending a bit of a regal, church feel. I felt like I was listening to a full-sized organ. I don't know if that's what they were intending, but it was very effective nonetheless. This show will be a contender this year!

Bluecoats: BLUUUUUUUUUUUE! Yeah, I had to explain that one to my Sinfonian friends, too. They thought I was booing them. LOL. Great job, tonight! This is the third corps that I thought had a great balance (brass) throughout the show. My biggest comment about them is that they need to clean, clean, clean. They are marching and playing a lot of HARD STUFF. If they clean this up, then watch out! I can't help but thinking of 1998 Vanguard when watching the end of their show. Some of us always thought we should have stopped at our big jazz piece in 98 (hear ye, hear ye) . I get the same feeling watching Bluecoats' show. Clean your show overall, especially the closer, and you have a contender!

Glad you were able to keep your SCV background from coloring your critique...

:worthy:

Yes, they won high brass that year. They were able to balance the high brass to the low brass that year, and look what it did to their corps placement. They placed under a top heavy SCV and Cadets because a balanced sound isn't as exciting as a top-heavy, loud sound in the minds of judges.

This needs to stop.

Exciting is good!

Balance in music is relative. An unbalanced hornline to you may be a balanced hornline to a judge.