Stockton Sizzlin'

Exciting is good!

Balance in music is relative. An unbalanced hornline to you may be a balanced hornline to a judge.

AMEN!!! The OP's words like "Lush", "Balanced", "Unbalanced" are ALL relative. Brass judges know what they are doing and know what to listen for. They are on the field, up close and personal (not judging from FanNetwork) and are professionals at what they do.

All brass caption heads approach sound differently. As the OP stated, having either the higher brass instruments play softer sometimes or having a stellar low brass section will even out the sound in the hornline. If that is what you are going for.

Guys like Gino, Downey, and Meehan get very high caliber players down the line, down to the lowest parts. They go for the philosophy of having 80 "Stick outs" which in turn will maxamize sound from ALL instruments. This is why sometimes, Cadets and BD will have high brass balance and pockets (or "stick outs") in the beginning of the season because the players are "going for it" I guess you could say, and by the end of the season have all matched dynamics. Of course, if you take that approach to a hornline, the high brass will be louder and more predominant simply because the timbre difference and higher frequencies of those instruments (as the OP stated 3 times).

In my opinion, BD has one of the most lush sounds out there and even more impressive and something I have noticed over the years, they can spread the hornline out over the entire field and still sound like a balanced, wall off sound with no pockets (and STILL not sound forced) Cadets and BD in 2007 were perfect examples of that.

I would like to mention that not all lines can take that approach either because the maturity and skill of the players is inconsistent and/or two, some brass caption heads do want their lines to have the more traditional sound of a concert ensemble or as we all have heard, the "Triangle of Sound". Phantom, Crown, and SCV have amazing sounding hornlines. TOP 5 HANDS DOWN! You are either hard of hearing and/or clearly not a music person if you think otherwise.

Having said that, I prefer and give major kudos to the BD hornline for the sound they get.

For MY personal taste, I go to drum corps shows to hear a drum & bugle corps NOT concert bands on the field. That is just what I prefer.

Flame on!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velvet Knights: I had to educate my Sinfonian brothers that I was sitting with that you were once a top 12 corps not too long ago. You keep this up and you'll be back there again, my friends! Very entertaining show. You have a very talented lead trumpet player that stuck out sometimes due to your small hornline, but overall the brass did very well. The guard and visual program were good, but what most impressed me was the drumline. Nicely done, tonight.

Thanks. That means a lot to the kids.

Nancy

I loved LOVED how VK was constantly risking folding chairs. Thanks for the chuckle, VK! Good to see you.

AMEN!!! The OP's words like "Lush", "Balanced", "Unbalanced" are ALL relative. Brass judges know what they are doing and know what to listen for. They are on the field, up close and personal (not judging from FanNetwork) and are professionals at what they do.

All brass caption heads approach sound differently. As the OP stated, having either the higher brass instruments play softer sometimes or having a stellar low brass section will even out the sound in the hornline. If that is what you are going for.

Guys like Gino, Downey, and Meehan get very high caliber players down the line, down to the lowest parts. They go for the philosophy of having 80 "Stick outs" which in turn will maxamize sound from ALL instruments. This is why sometimes, Cadets and BD will have high brass balance and pockets (or "stick outs") in the beginning of the season because the players are "going for it" I guess you could say, and by the end of the season have all matched dynamics. Of course, if you take that approach to a hornline, the high brass will be louder and more predominant simply because the timbre difference and higher frequencies of those instruments (as the OP stated 3 times).

In my opinion, BD has one of the most lush sounds out there and even more impressive and something I have noticed over the years, they can spread the hornline out over the entire field and still sound like a balanced, wall off sound with no pockets (and STILL not sound forced) Cadets and BD in 2007 were perfect examples of that.

I would like to mention that not all lines can take that approach either because the maturity and skill of the players is inconsistent and/or two, some brass caption heads do want their lines to have the more traditional sound of a concert ensemble or as we all have heard, the "Triangle of Sound". Phantom, Crown, and SCV have amazing sounding hornlines. TOP 5 HANDS DOWN! You are either hard of hearing and/or clearly not a music person if you think otherwise.

Having said that, I prefer and give major kudos to the BD hornline for the sound they get.

For MY personal taste, I go to drum corps shows to hear a drum & bugle corps NOT concert bands on the field. That is just what I prefer.

Flame on!

From personal experience, Amen. :smile:

I was really distracted by the clydesdale movement of the left foot before every move. Was this intentional for the show? And if so, why? Is it part of their technique? Hmmm....

Are you referring to the whole bent-knee/knee pop style of marching? Or is it something beyond that?

I feel I should be perfectly clear as to my opinion when I talked about top-heavy brass lines. I was in no way trying to put down the BD organization, nor was I attacking the kiddos performing in that organization.

My issue is more with the judging community. I feel that they don't understand just how much more difficult it is to achieve a pyramid-of-sound than not. I feel like it's not even a criteria that they listen for. That's all I meant to say.

Are you referring to the whole bent-knee/knee pop style of marching? Or is it something beyond that?

Oh, I was speaking about their prep step. Their prep step essentially consisted of them throwing their left knee out as far as it could go without their toes leaving the ground and then moving. Hence the clydesdale comment (which was facetious btw :smile:)

It was quite deliberate, and (imo) quite distracting. I was wondering if it was a show concept or just their style.

Edited by scvjesse

It's part of their technique I believe. They've been doing it for years.

Oh, I was speaking about their prep step. Their prep step essentially consisted of them throwing their left knee out as far as it could go without their toes leaving the ground and then moving. Hence the clydesdale comment (which was facetious btw :smile:)

It was quite deliberate, and (imo) quite distracting. I was wondering if it was a show concept or just their style.

Were they vocalizing (i.e., letting out a group "TssT" sound) with the prep?

I know, I know, probably not, but it's funny to me to think it.

It's part of their technique I believe. They've been doing it for years.

100% correct. Prep a full count before marching from a halt. Then pass toes pointed down on the step, although some have said the style has been simplified this year.