Crown Fans Pushing Me Away

I knew you would post some hate here. Nuts, I wish I would have bet someone on that. Wait, no one would take that bet.

You're being a little bit sensitive, I think.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen, it's only a few people. They're not just fans, they're parents of current marching members. Parents who can't stand to see any sort of criticism aimed in the general direction of their little snowflakes.

They don't represent the corps, they don't represent the alumni, and they don't represent the fanbase in general.

And why would a reasonable person allow one or two anonymous DCP posters to define the entire mentality of an organization in the first place?

(....and where are these "honk" posts that have caused all this indignation, anyway?)

Laura VanDoren, is a member of the "Crown Family" wife of Donnie, Mother to Evan and Carrie, and every student who ever marched for Carolina Crown. She is a wonderful person .Nobody call's her out in public and doesn’t have to answer for it. For 20 years Crown has been trying to build a World Class Drum Corps, Our goal has always been to do it with Class, Give the Students a "first class experience" and do it with the Fans in mind. Crown =entertainment. We have always had our hearts in the right place. What you see today is a product of Love for the activity, and love for the students. No one from this organization has ever attacked anyone personally or any other group of students. So, please do not call out one of our "family" because she expressed her elation for MANY years of hard work. I personally appreciate what all the corps are doing and have been very upset over the years about things said about Crown and other organizations as well. This is a forum; we respect your right to express your opinion but please don't call anyone out.

An interesting bit from their very own Facebook discussion site:

Thread Titled "Crown Tops Cadets"

"Laura VanDoren - Of course we did!

Julie White - Just goes to show what all the negative crown people think of a great show. DCP was full of the negativity for Crown to top Cadets again:)

Laura VanDoren - Well consider the sources. Makes them sound even more stupid, eh?"

Before anyone jumps on me for posting this, it's public information.

This does not ease my fears. More fun tidbits in the thread as well as many others. http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=10...amp;topic=10485

true. parents usually are the most defensive on DCP.

I had a good friend who was a corps parent give me some good advise when my son first got his contract, "Now you can never post a comment about ANOTHER corps EVER again."

Carolina Crown is not my favorite corps but I REALLY like their show this year. At this point in the season, they probably are my “hope they win” corps. Their fans in past years have been labeled as some of the biggest HONKS but I have just seen them as enthusiastic about their own achievement and always respectful of their competition. This week that has changed. You are now embarrassing your staff and the kids in your corps.

I have seen numerous attempts to tear down their competition in order to legitimize their own success. Brag on your corps, tell us all of the outstanding moments in your show, discuss your growth in captions that are scoring high but leave the criticism of the top marching groups in the world to the judging panels. Crown is now in rarified air, all of their competition is VERY good and the differences at this level are almost impossible to detect except by “highly skilled professionals.”

I love what is happening on the field, please don’t push me away with forum opinions.

May have something to do with the fact that alot of fans from other corps seem to de-legitimatizing their success by implying their competition is just having a down year etc...

Nobody call's her out in public and doesn’t have to answer for it.

Well, she started it! She called us stoopid!

And it's funny - I really didn't sense that much negativity toward Crown for beating Cadets. Besides, it's not the first time they did it, i.e., finals last year. Though folks were probably hoping for a narration-laden Cadets show to lose to a lot of corps last year...

I think a lot of folks feel the same way I do - Crown's show is cool, and they likely deserve to beat Cadets in late June. But I doubt they'll deserve to beat Cadets from mid-July through early August.

You're being a little bit sensitive, I think.

Nope.

If I were, I let that person's hatred of my corps (and/or it's fans) "push me away" from being a fan of the Troopers, which won't happen. Ever

So, the moral of the story is: Don't hate a corps because of the actions of some haters that you may associate with the corps. This is about the kids that are out there working their tails off to become better performers and entertain us. If you like the product, then like the product. Don’t let the perceived actions of anyone change that.

Edited by Roark1

Carolina Crown is not my favorite corps but I REALLY like their show this year. At this point in the season, they probably are my “hope they win” corps. Their fans in past years have been labeled as some of the biggest HONKS but I have just seen them as enthusiastic about their own achievement and always respectful of their competition. This week that has changed. You are now embarrassing your staff and the kids in your corps.

I have seen numerous attempts to tear down their competition in order to legitimize their own success. Brag on your corps, tell us all of the outstanding moments in your show, discuss your growth in captions that are scoring high but leave the criticism of the top marching groups in the world to the judging panels. Crown is now in rarified air, all of their competition is VERY good and the differences at this level are almost impossible to detect except by “highly skilled professionals.”

I love what is happening on the field, please don’t push me away with forum opinions.

You know, my jaw dropped a couple times the last three or so days...both times Crown did it--BRAVO, corps, BRAVO!! Seeing them on top of both Phantom AND Cavies the other night was pretty huge. But after all the "Not this year" commentary we heard week one re: the possibility of defeating Cadets, their victory last night over HRC was just...WOW!!

Now, remember...I'm totally a Phantom honk. I'll tell you I don't think Crown should have beaten PR at SA in 07 just as quickly as I'll say I'm proud the corps won last year with the crowd reaction of all crowd reactions! And just as assuredly, I will tell you that I'm glad PR got their solo championship before Crown has won. Just me.

That being said, now I'm game for new blood, and Crown is the closest to supplying that. I'm a sold-out fan of Donnie Van Doren and Company, and their record wherever they go speaks for itself. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the concept of Crown Tickets and think the entire activity should jump on that bandwagon...no pun intended! And I have really enjoyed noticing the improvements in this organization on the field since coming back into the activity in 2004...one of the stories of the last decade!

I have also noticed that Crown has its (more than?) fair share of honks around here, for whatever reason. Whether there are just a lot of Crown alum and fmr parents online, or whether there are a bunch of fmr Star members who have adopted this as "their" corps, and they're just enjoying paying back the PR phans and Cavies fans with what they dished out on Star back in the day, or whatever...Crown is generally well-represented around here!

But I truly fear Crown honks (of which, despite my comments, I do not qualify myself as) becoming as miserable and obstinately UGLY as fans of pretty much every other top organization in the activity's history...that would TRULY disappoint me! Let's try to keep this corps as the one (for now...hopefully more to follow!) that bucks the "THIS AIN'T DRUM CORPS" and "BACK IN THE DAY..." crowd that the rest of us has known the ENTIRE time we've known the activity.

Let's have just ONE group whose audience and fans are POSITIVE, and who are ambassadors for the ENTIRE activity as a result. I truly believe that if an audience...a fan base...within the activity began behaving properly towards other fans and non-fans alike, this would catch on with the "Old School" crowd, if for no other reason than eventually they would be outnumbered!

So, Crown Honks, congratulations on your recent results, but don't get ahead of yourselves...Crown beat Phantom in 07 and 08 as well, and look at how THOSE turned out! Crown still hasn't accomplished anything yet, in my book, but I am certainly cheering for them to do so in the near future. Just...PLEASE...PUHLEASE!!!...behave better than phans of "my" corps have. The treatment Star received from Rockford and Rosemont, specifically, should work to keep your ranks humble. Be the example in the stands that the corps is quickly becoming on the field. Ignore the B.S. attitudes that have been the problems, and instill the positive love for the activity that needs to become more prevalent.

God only knows we have enough voices of dissention on DCP...we don't need another organization full of them running around looking like fools...'nuf of that already.

GO CROWN!! Keep it up! May you never earn the title "Best Corps to Never Win DCI!!" But may you..AND your fans...be the example in victory that Star of Indiana was many years ago. Be classy...you already have the "classical" part down...perhaps that will make it even easier.

And Go Phantom--don't give it up easy, guys!! :-P

You know, my jaw dropped a couple times the last three or so days...both times Crown did it--BRAVO, corps, BRAVO!! Seeing them on top of both Phantom AND Cavies the other night was pretty huge. But after all the "Not this year" commentary we heard week one re: the possibility of defeating Cadets, their victory last night over HRC was just...WOW!!

Now, remember...I'm totally a Phantom honk. I'll tell you I don't think Crown should have beaten PR at SA in 07 just as quickly as I'll say I'm proud the corps won last year with the crowd reaction of all crowd reactions! And just as assuredly, I will tell you that I'm glad PR got their solo championship before Crown has won. Just me.

That being said, now I'm game for new blood, and Crown is the closest to supplying that. I'm a sold-out fan of Donnie Van Doren and Company, and their record wherever they go speaks for itself. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the concept of Crown Tickets and think the entire activity should jump on that bandwagon...no pun intended! And I have really enjoyed noticing the improvements in this organization on the field since coming back into the activity in 2004...one of the stories of the last decade!

I have also noticed that Crown has its (more than?) fair share of honks around here, for whatever reason. Whether there are just a lot of Crown alum and fmr parents online, or whether there are a bunch of fmr Star members who have adopted this as "their" corps, and they're just enjoying paying back the PR phans and Cavies fans with what they dished out on Star back in the day, or whatever...Crown is generally well-represented around here!

But I truly fear Crown honks (of which, despite my comments, I do not qualify myself as) becoming as miserable and obstinately UGLY as fans of pretty much every other top organization in the activity's history...that would TRULY disappoint me! Let's try to keep this corps as the one (for now...hopefully more to follow!) that bucks the "THIS AIN'T DRUM CORPS" and "BACK IN THE DAY..." crowd that the rest of us has known the ENTIRE time we've known the activity.

Let's have just ONE group whose audience and fans are POSITIVE, and who are ambassadors for the ENTIRE activity as a result. I truly believe that if an audience...a fan base...within the activity began behaving properly towards other fans and non-fans alike, this would catch on with the "Old School" crowd, if for no other reason than eventually they would be outnumbered!

So, Crown Honks, congratulations on your recent results, but don't get ahead of yourselves...Crown beat Phantom in 07 and 08 as well, and look at how THOSE turned out! Crown still hasn't accomplished anything yet, in my book, but I am certainly cheering for them to do so in the near future. Just...PLEASE...PUHLEASE!!!...behave better than phans of "my" corps have. The treatment Star received from Rockford and Rosemont, specifically, should work to keep your ranks humble. Be the example in the stands that the corps is quickly becoming on the field. Ignore the B.S. attitudes that have been the problems, and instill the positive love for the activity that needs to become more prevalent.

God only knows we have enough voices of dissention on DCP...we don't need another organization full of them running around looking like fools...'nuf of that already.

GO CROWN!! Keep it up! May you never earn the title "Best Corps to Never Win DCI!!" But may you..AND your fans...be the example in victory that Star of Indiana was many years ago. Be classy...you already have the "classical" part down...perhaps that will make it even easier.

And Go Phantom--don't give it up easy, guys!! :-P

Excellent post!