What's your honest opinion concerning the lower tier corps?

Over the years I usually see a lot of discussion about the upper tier corps on DCP, but I usually don’t see as much discussion about the lower tier groups...accept maybe in the “Official 2009 X corps threads” and maybe some rivalry stuff.

In your opinion concerning the lower tier groups...say 7-12 ...Who has the better show? ...Who is executing better? Who has better music selections? Which corps do you think has a meaty musical book? Watered down? How about talent? Which corps has better programming from a design perspective? Who has the greatest room for growth till August? Who has shown the most improvement in June?

I want to state that my tier definition reflects a corps current overall placement as of 6/30/09, which does not necessarily reflect any head to head contests or any sub-caption placements which may skew these results. The lower tier is spots 7-12 as per the “unweighted ranking” of the DCP ranking system.

Listed in no particular order in the lower tier (please don't argue with me about what tier you think they belong to as that is not the point of this post)....Glassmen, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, and Troopers…. Honorable mention to Madison in 13th…

Please discuss and give your opinions as to WHY you feel the way you do... Please also indicate WHAT your opinions are based on...Is it a live viewing, or the FN, or just because you were "never really a fan of X corps" type of comment?

Please no corps bashing...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

just curious... SCV was 7th last year and I would have in NO way considered them "lower tier"

same goes for the Bluecoats right now- do you really think the tier line ends at the top 6 and not the top 7?

(I would encourage you to look at the graph on BK's website for a picture-representation of the score groupings- it's interesting)

just curious... SCV was 7th last year and I would have in NO way considered them "lower tier"

same goes for the Bluecoats right now- do you really think the tier line ends at the top 6 and not the top 7?

(I would encourage you to look at the graph on BK's website for a picture-representation of the score groupings- it's interesting)

Actually I do look at the graph at BK's website and have so for quite a number of years. It really puts things in perspective. Thanks for the suggestion though.

As far as my tier grouping I think you may have a valid point and perhaps this area could be a little more subjective in reality. Though this is true, it seems to me that DCI has made the split a little more obvious at spot 6 as all the EXTRA frills (drumline cams on the DVD's etc.) just stop at spot 6. I'm sure it is probably due to cost constraints (I'm not in the know), but doesn't that just lend us to believe that is where the split should be perhaps? perhaps not? If X or Y corps just happens to fall short in a particular year does that make them a lower tier corps?...I should think not.

I think it's ridiculous to call corps that are capable of making DCI finals "Lower Tier" corps.

That's my HONEST opinion.

So where do you draw the line then at 15 to 21? Is calling a corps lower tier really a bad thing? Are you saying spot 12 actually has a serious go for a ring then?

Anyway, I perhaps should have refrained from using the term "tier". BUT I guess it is too late now to change that.

My opinion:

It's July 1st. I haven't been to a single show in person. Some of the corps you are speaking of don't have a single video on demand at the Fan Network. Others are from very, very early.

If I offered an honest opinion, I'd be either fooling myself or lying.

The huge gap between BS and Bloo certainly looks "tier-like" to me.

It does appear that way. But I would consider it more a matter of degree than tier. All of the Top 12 are truly world class (that's world class and not just World Class).

Edited by dmfootworks

The huge gap between BS and Bloo certainly looks "tier-like" to me.

Link to BK website mentioned before

I did not realize they had competed against each other to create a gap. Maybe we should wait until the first regional before we decide where everyone is positioned.