What's your honest opinion concerning the lower tier corps?

The Troopers have one of the best shows they've put on the field in a long while. Could be competitive for the top 12. GO Troop! :thumbup::tongue:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I usually see a lot of discussion about the upper tier corps on DCP, but I usually don’t see as much discussion about the lower tier groups...accept maybe in the “Official 2009 X corps threads” and maybe some rivalry stuff.

In your opinion concerning the lower tier groups...say 7-12 ...Who has the better show? ...Who is executing better? Who has better music selections? Which corps do you think has a meaty musical book? Watered down? How about talent? Which corps has better programming from a design perspective? Who has the greatest room for growth till August? Who has shown the most improvement in June?

I want to state that my tier definition reflects a corps current overall placement as of 6/30/09, which does not necessarily reflect any head to head contests or any sub-caption placements which may skew these results. The lower tier is spots 7-12 as per the “unweighted ranking” of the DCP ranking system.

Listed in no particular order in the lower tier (please don't argue with me about what tier you think they belong to as that is not the point of this post)....Glassmen, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, and Troopers…. Honorable mention to Madison in 13th…

Please discuss and give your opinions as to WHY you feel the way you do... Please also indicate WHAT your opinions are based on...Is it a live viewing, or the FN, or just because you were "never really a fan of X corps" type of comment?

Please no corps bashing...

Then you haven't been paying attention.

Over the years I usually see a lot of discussion about the upper tier corps on DCP, but I usually don’t see as much discussion about the lower tier groups...accept maybe in the “Official 2009 X corps threads” and maybe some rivalry stuff.

In your opinion concerning the lower tier groups...say 7-12 ...Who has the better show? ...Who is executing better? Who has better music selections? Which corps do you think has a meaty musical book? Watered down? How about talent? Which corps has better programming from a design perspective? Who has the greatest room for growth till August? Who has shown the most improvement in June?

I want to state that my tier definition reflects a corps current overall placement as of 6/30/09, which does not necessarily reflect any head to head contests or any sub-caption placements which may skew these results. The lower tier is spots 7-12 as per the “unweighted ranking” of the DCP ranking system.

Listed in no particular order in the lower tier (please don't argue with me about what tier you think they belong to as that is not the point of this post)....Glassmen, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Bluecoats, Boston Crusaders, and Troopers…. Honorable mention to Madison in 13th…

Please discuss and give your opinions as to WHY you feel the way you do... Please also indicate WHAT your opinions are based on...Is it a live viewing, or the FN, or just because you were "never really a fan of X corps" type of comment?

Please no corps bashing...

Like someone said already, making finals doesn't really make you a "lower tier", as you say. In my opinion, a "lower tier" (to continue using your term) corps would be one that doesn't make/hasn't made semis in a long time, i.e. Manderans, Pioneers, Pacific Crest, etc. And while it's true that they may not have the absolute best players in all of DCI, or the most meaty musical book, but they still have entertaining shows to some people, not including family and friends of the marching members.

So where do you draw the line then at 15 to 21? Is calling a corps lower tier really a bad thing? Are you saying spot 12 actually has a serious go for a ring then?

Anyway, I perhaps should have refrained from using the term "tier". BUT I guess it is too late now to change that.

In my opinion, not just the 12th place corps going into finals, but even the 20th or 21st (however many World Class corps there are now) going into finals week has just as much a chance at getting a ring. Sure, it's not that likely that a corps will jump 20 spots in 3-4 days, but why CAN'T it happen? Anything can happen in those 3-4 days.....

You know what? Misnomers and improper classifications aside (just let it go...), I think the OP was just trying to say "What do you think about Glassmen, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Crossmen, Boston Crusaders, Madison, Spirit and Troopers shows?" Give OP some credit--trying to start chatter about some other corps aside form the usual suspects. Don't jump down his throat because he forgot a corps or jumped a placement.

So, what do you think about those shows, and any others aside from the current top 7? Pretend BD, HNC, SCV, Bloo, PR, CC, and Cavies took a year off.

Go.

Edited by Just A Plain Old Fan

I think it's ridiculous to call corps that are capable of making DCI finals "Lower Tier" corps.

That's my HONEST opinion.

I agree. This would be as absurd as looking at the top 3 Corps after Quartefinals as " upper tier Corps " as these would be the only Corps after Quarterfinals (with history as our guide) that would have a chance then of winning it all. Thus, by this definition, Corps in 4th place and below could all be considered " lower tier Corps ".

Thus, it's ridiculous to designate " lower tier Corps " here in the very early season when most of these Corps have not met in head to head competition.. Otherwise, we could have this thread after quarterfinals results are in, for a discussion of who is better in the " lower tier Corps " of 4th to 12th or 4th to 20th ".

This is WAAAY to early to designate Corps as " lower tier "...... plus, ANY Corps that makes Finals is not " lower tier " in my opinion.

Edited by BRASSO

You know what? Misnomers and improper classifications aside (just let it go...), I think the OP was just trying to say "What do you think about Glassmen, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Crossmen, Boston Crusaders, Madison, Spirit and Troopers shows?" Give OP some credit--trying to start chatter about some other corps aside form the usual suspects. Don't jump down his throat because he forgot a corps or jumped a placement.

So, what do you think about those shows, and any others aside from the current top 7? Pretend BD, HNC, SCV, Bloo, PR, CC, and Cavies took a year off.

Go.

EVERYBODY READ THIS !! THIS IS HOW I TOOK IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! This forum is WAAAAYYYY to picky. WAAAAYYYY!

EVERYBODY READ THIS !! THIS IS HOW I TOOK IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! This forum is WAAAAYYYY to picky. WAAAAYYYY!

I think the Bluecoats, Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment , SC Vanguard might be the best 4 Corps right now in the " lower Tier " level. I havn't seen any of them yet, but looking at their scores right now it appears that unless they change things around quickly, none of these 4 Corps will have a chance of winning a Champiionship Title this year. My definition of " lower tier " is any Corps that has little to no shot of winning a Title based upon the scoring gap they have with the " top tier " Corps of 1-3 at that moment in time.

Thus, out of the " lower tier " Corps of Bluecoats, Cavaliers, SV Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, I would say that The SC Vanguard and Cavaliers have the edge over Phantom Regiment and the Bluecoats in this " lower tier " grouping. But it's early, and it's entirely possible for a reshuffling to take place among these 4 Corps in this " lower tier "

Edited by BRASSO

I think this will be the first time in DCI History that both the Boston Crusaders and the Troopers will be in the top twelve SIMULTANEOUSLY. And, the various DCP prognosticators who were predicting BAC to be in 14th a month ago should reconsider their positions based on fan reaction to "The Core of Temptation"! :thumbup:

Edited by craiga