When will Cadets catch Crown?

I don't think that the Holy Name Cadets will catch Crown. Of course, I am (admittedly) being a "back seat driver", but here is where I think the Cadets have left a weakness........

1. Crown's show is well-punctuated by tension and release in terms of creative moments of abstraction from which the scripted moments of highly concrete drill and audio/visual materialize and each (abstract and concrete) serve to enhance the other through contrast. If you watch, the Hornline goes from being a unified and cohesive ensemble to a theatrical cast and back again. Same with the guard and the percussion.

2. Holy Name Cadets are technically and dynamically very impressive, but the one element that is missing (they they have had in some of their more successful shows) is some characterization by the hornline and percussion. Indeed, even the guard is so "uniform" that personality and characterization do not seem to surface. So, Cadets are an incredible study in "CONCRETE" ensemble, but seem to lose the human element on the theatrical end (which is the element that led Phantom and Cavies to great success last season). HNC does not provide the reinforcing CONTRAST that Crown provides. In that regard, their performance while CLEAN is somewhat sterile in the abstract creativity department.

3. Again, as backseat driver, I offer that the HNC have 3 potential opportunities in their show to consider some interjection of character within their hornline. Beginning about mid-show, they have 3 (maybe 2) places in which some or all of the hornline is tacet and focused on marching. Rather than rigid drill the while time - they should consider reworking 1 (2 to be bold) spots and create some vignettes that offer "atmospheric characterization" to the whole conflict and resolution theme. At least on spot, which is the song from the orginal musical in which the women is singing in a sultry alto voice in a very tense way - would be PERFECT for such and opportunity.

4. Conclusion - the Cadets should take and chance and consider interjecting the same strategy as Crown, but within the character of their show.

Jason

So, I think the summary of you comments is: Cadets need more personality and more tension/release. I guess that's pretty good advice for any show design. I don't really have a comment because I haven't seen either show in person. I don't think any show NEEDS to have anything in particular, that's why it's art. We'll see what they add as they become more comfortable with the show they're performing. But, they certainly aren't into the theatrics this year.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I think the summary of you comments is: Cadets need more personality and more tension/release. I guess that's pretty good advice for any show design. I don't really have a comment because I haven't seen either show in person. I don't think any show NEEDS to have anything in particular, that's why it's art. We'll see what they add as they become more comfortable with the show they're performing. But, they certainly aren't into the theatrics this year.

Point well taken. I agree about your comment on "NEEDS." Poor communication on my part. Assuming that judges compare - and I to some extent they must, I believe that for HNC to pull ahead with a comfortable margin, they should consider a new layer to their show in the by offering more characterization.

Jason

Whenever Cadets figure out the judges don't want to see the same show modified over and over again they will on the same level they were at in the 90's. Just because it's their 75th anniversary they feel like its their year to shine and i guess so does Hopkins according to his twitter posts. Crown is only 70% done perfecting their show according to Matt Harloff and they make changes to it every day so their show is certainly not peaking by any means. I do hope the Cadets do a better job next year. But they will not do any better this year than last year with their current show.

Whenever Cadets figure out the judges don't want to see the same show modified over and over again they will on the same level they were at in the 90's. Just because it's their 75th anniversary they feel like its their year to shine and i guess so does Hopkins according to his twitter posts. Crown is only 70% done perfecting their show according to Matt Harloff and they make changes to it every day so their show is certainly not peaking by any means. I do hope the Cadets do a better job next year. But they will not do any better this year than last year with their current show.

You guys have no idea what your talking about! Drum Corps does not have to be a drama class to win. What they give you is an incredible drill with incredible demand throughout the show. Go to a show my friends and hear the people leave the stands! You will hear more comments about how the Cadets should have won or they thought they won. Have you ever seen the Cadets practice. Teach 16 pages of drill in one day and perform it that night? Two weeks ago Crown was 60% done..... They better be on their toes because like them or not, The Cadets seem to be the crowd favorite this year. Standing and doing point the toe body is not gonna take the gold in the end. They have a shot as do The Cadets, but if I were them I would be not only looking to finsh the 30% but get some more demand in the 70 % they already have.

Get off your "I love Crown " so I am gonna post crap so people believe this. Like last night someone had Crown winning by 5 points! Another 3! Please!!!! It turned out .45 with The Cadets winning GE!!! Its gonna be close and Crown deserves a lot of respect. They made it to the big level the past couple of years and now they are an elite! Well deserved too! I loved them last year!!! This level seperates the men from the boys! I want to see Drum Corps, not what they turned WGI into! That has turned into everyone flying around with their hands fying through the air. If The Cadets pass Crown I will certainly give Crown all the respect they deserve. Please show The Cadets the same. They have earned it and please don't tell me you would rather see men dancing around trying to act than what they are giving you now. Thier guard is doing guard stuff and they give you West Side Story! It is done correctly! Phantom's show was great last year. The drama worked for them but they gave you the good Corps stuff too! Please don't turn DCI into the dancing art that WGI has turned too. Give me some raw Drum Corps anyday over the drama club!!!! I want to see Drum Corps not Disney on ice! Win or Lose, The Cadets have won me back!!!!! Give them some respect PLEASE!!!

If I were to take away any bias I may have, I still feel that Crown will keep cleaning and adding and playing the game the way they know how, and that they will come out on top this year. This is just my opinion, and if Cadets take them out, it is deserved, because Crown isn't playing around this year. This is the best season of Drum Corps I've seen in my young career in the activity, and it just makes me wonder how the next few years are going to play out! EEEEEEEE!!! :devil:

No Bias there! OMG!!! Since when do they know how? Have they ever placed in the top 3 ? I think the Bias is more right! Crown is great and if the Cadets take them out you are right it will be deserved! Crown is a force that will be a force for many years to come! No Doubt they will win one soon!

Cadets for the win....finals.

Judges didn't seem to mind when the Cavies did just that.

:devil:

I still fail to see how someone giving an opinion of a single shows outcome is showing disrespect. Some people LOVE Crown's show, and some people LOVE the Cadets' show! I am in love with both! They are both amazing shows, and both are amazing in their design! One's hard corps in your face, and another more subtle but still in your face when you need it! This seems to me (and it's been said in other posts) like a battle in 1993. Star gave the theatrical show, and the Cadets gave a rip your face off show. Both are amazing, and it's what we have here this season! I can't wait to see which one comes out on top this year!

NO DISRESPECT!

It might be harder physically, but is it more demanding? Sometimes a lot more errors in marching (look at the feet)are open to be seen when the corp is moving slowly. So it may be more physically demanding, but is it really harder? I don't think that one is "harder" to clean than the other. I have seen more errors in a slow moving section than I have been able to see when the corps is moving at 216. Maybe it is just my eyes.

Go let anyone who has never seen a show before and show them both shows. I would bet you that everyone of them would say how much more demand The Cadets show has! The feet will be clean at Finals for both corps! Which won is more demanding. Ask someone who does not even follow this stuff. It is such an easy answer! (I'm fighting tonight!)

Not digging the rehash show this year....but I'll see it in person tomorrow night