When will Cadets catch Crown?

I don't think that the Holy Name Cadets will catch Crown. Of course, I am (admittedly) being a "back seat driver", but here is where I think the Cadets have left a weakness........

1. Crown's show is well-punctuated by tension and release in terms of creative moments of abstraction from which the scripted moments of highly concrete drill and audio/visual materialize and each (abstract and concrete) serve to enhance the other through contrast. If you watch, the Hornline goes from being a unified and cohesive ensemble to a theatrical cast and back again. Same with the guard and the percussion.

2. Holy Name Cadets are technically and dynamically very impressive, but the one element that is missing (they they have had in some of their more successful shows) is some characterization by the hornline and percussion. Indeed, even the guard is so "uniform" that personality and characterization do not seem to surface. So, Cadets are an incredible study in "CONCRETE" ensemble, but seem to lose the human element on the theatrical end (which is the element that led Phantom and Cavies to great success last season). HNC does not provide the reinforcing CONTRAST that Crown provides. In that regard, their performance while CLEAN is somewhat sterile in the abstract creativity department.

3. Again, as backseat driver, I offer that the HNC have 3 potential opportunities in their show to consider some interjection of character within their hornline. Beginning about mid-show, they have 3 (maybe 2) places in which some or all of the hornline is tacet and focused on marching. Rather than rigid drill the while time - they should consider reworking 1 (2 to be bold) spots and create some vignettes that offer "atmospheric characterization" to the whole conflict and resolution theme. At least on spot, which is the song from the orginal musical in which the women is singing in a sultry alto voice in a very tense way - would be PERFECT for such and opportunity.

4. Conclusion - the Cadets should take and chance and consider interjecting the same strategy as Crown, but within the character of their show.

Jason

Nah, I think they will be good right where they are. And they will catch Crown as long as they keep making sound additions to their vehicle.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FACT #1 THE CADETS ARE GETTING BETTER EVERY SINGLE DAY! AT AN ALARAMING RATE!

FACT #2 CAROLINA CROWN'S DEPETH OF DESIGN IS UNMATCHED THIS SEASON!

FACT #3 CADETS AND CAROLINA CROWN WILL BATTLE ALL THE WAY UP UNTIL FINALS NIGHT!

FACT #4 DCI 2009 TOUR WILL BE THE MOST ENTERTAINING SEASON THUS FAR!

K3NDALL

caplock.jpg

caplock.jpg

Why do we have to yell. Can't we all get along?

FHNSAB

I love how every time I put in a historical comparative post ......... NOBODY TOUCHES IT.

Do you "kids" not know your history? Knowing where everything came from and what is truly hard what isn't is a HUGE part of your drum corps knowledge. If you're going to be in the intraweb, go watch some videos and get some smarts about what's really up ..... yo!

I love how every time I put in a historical comparative post ......... NOBODY TOUCHES IT.

Do you "kids" not know your history? Knowing where everything came from and what is truly hard what isn't is a HUGE part of your drum corps knowledge. If you're going to be in the intraweb, go watch some videos and get some smarts about what's really up ..... yo!

HAHA

When I first read your post, I had a good laugh! Last year, Matt Harloff, our brass caption(marched Star '93) and Jennifo, our color guard caption (marched Cadets '93) would fight all the time about it! So I know all about the history of those two corps. But it's really hard to say since this happened 16 years ago!!! Todays another day, and what the judges decide is the better product at the end of the year is beyond me! But I love that someone made that comparison to those two wonderful corps of yester-year!

If I were to take away any bias I may have, I still feel that Crown will keep cleaning and adding and playing the game the way they know how, and that they will come out on top this year. This is just my opinion, and if Cadets take them out, it is deserved, because Crown isn't playing around this year. This is the best season of Drum Corps I've seen in my young career in the activity, and it just makes me wonder how the next few years are going to play out! EEEEEEEE!!! :tongue:

I don't think that the Holy Name Cadets will catch Crown. Of course, I am (admittedly) being a "back seat driver", but here is where I think the Cadets have left a weakness........

1. Crown's show is well-punctuated by tension and release in terms of creative moments of abstraction from which the scripted moments of highly concrete drill and audio/visual materialize and each (abstract and concrete) serve to enhance the other through contrast. If you watch, the Hornline goes from being a unified and cohesive ensemble to a theatrical cast and back again. Same with the guard and the percussion.

2. Holy Name Cadets are technically and dynamically very impressive, but the one element that is missing (they they have had in some of their more successful shows) is some characterization by the hornline and percussion...

Interesting thoughts. Still, I'm not sure I agree on the utility of the "tension and release" by Crown. Had my first viewing of the show this week and felt confused by what seemed at times abrupt shifts. The show felt to me as if it was striving too eagerly to establish the tension and release you cite.

On the other hand, Cadets also felt as they were careering through West Side Story. There was aggression and not necessarily drama. I agree the show could benefit from some complimentary elements that set off the dramatic intensity without diluting it.

As for the question at hand - can Cadets pass Crown? - it seemed difficult to imagine where Crown can take this show. Cadets on the other hand were nearly as impressive even though they weren't nearly as clean. That suggests to me ample opportunity to improve and thus overtake Crown.

HH

And GET OFF MY LAWN

I'm sure some people know it, just chose to ignore it.

And GET OFF MY LAWN

HAHA!

Edited by MelloDisciple

Speaking from a hornline perspective, I believe Cadets to trail Crown simply due to details. Both hornlines are "loud", but after seeing both groups, I feel Crown's ensemble sounds more matched.

While this topic does not include the Cavaliers, I think it is an important comparison to say that the Green Team has the cleanest and best balanced sound of all three groups in comparison here. The Cavaliers are certainly not the loudest sound, but I presume that is because the ensemble has not yet reached the maturity in the season to explore such extreme dynamics.

So, back to the original question, I believe Crown has a stronger hornline in comparison to Holy Name, but in relation to the big picture it is hard to top the clarity that the Cavaliers achieve.