When will Cadets catch Crown?

Judging by recent scores and the spreads between Crown and Cadets, perhaps it may not happen this season.

How about some humble pie?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may happen sooner than later now that it appears that Crown may be stagnating a bit relative to the Cadets. See below.

Bristol, RI July 3

Crown 85.1

Cadets 82.8

Diff: 2.3

Jackson, NJ July 6

Crown 83.050

Cadets 82.2

Diff: 0.85

Chesapeake, VA July 7

Crown 84.5

Cadets 84.050

Diff: 0.45

The Cadets may catch up with and pass Crown in the near future, but Crown's show has much more depth and difficulty and they will eventually pass the Cadets again. This WSS show is not the best WSS show the Cadets have produced. Moving fast and playing lots of notes is not necessarily the only format that can win in DCI. Crowns show offers more and eventually will surpass the Cadets for good (having said this I may have to eat the humble pie also). Isn't it fun to offer opinions on Drum Corps!!!

Crown's show has much more depth and difficulty

i saw both corps two nights ago, and the demands placed upon the performers in crown's show are minimal compared to the demands of the cadets' show in all facets -- musical, visual, ensemble, and physical.

crown is clearly more clean and more complete. no one can honestly argue that point, but to say crown's show is more difficult? i just can't see it.

further, i think that if you gave crown the cadets' show, you'd have a trainwreck. the demand is levels above crown's.

i say they pass them tomorrow :fight: idk lol, ill know more later, going to HNC rehearsal here in a few minutes :tongue: ill post what i saw when i get home tonight :tongue:

The Cadets may catch up with and pass Crown in the near future, but Crown's show has much more depth and difficulty and they will eventually pass the Cadets again. This WSS show is not the best WSS show the Cadets have produced. Moving fast and playing lots of notes is not necessarily the only format that can win in DCI. Crowns show offers more and eventually will surpass the Cadets for good (having said this I may have to eat the humble pie also). Isn't it fun to offer opinions on Drum Corps!!!

Crown's achilles heel may be their Guard.

Not that it's not a "good "Guard. But we are not talking " good " anymore when we are discussing Crown's prospects these days. They and their fans want to be seen as " Great ". You do that by winning it all.

If Carolina Crown fails to finish 1st or 2nd this year, it won't be their brass or percussion that will keep them from 1st or 2nd in my opinion. Most likely it will be their Guard that will keep them from finishing Finals in first or 2nd. But who among us really knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by BRASSO

i saw both corps two nights ago, and the demands placed upon the performers in crown's show are minimal compared to the demands of the cadets' show in all facets -- musical, visual, ensemble, and physical.

crown is clearly more clean and more complete. no one can honestly argue that point, but to say crown's show is more difficult? i just can't see it.

further, i think that if you gave crown the cadets' show, you'd have a trainwreck. the demand is levels above crown's.

Look up 1993 and watch the 1st and 2nd place corps. One had tons of notes and ran their butts off, but it did have an excellent theme visually and a great ballad (something Cadets are missing this year). The other seemed to play far less, didn't have the same demand (conventional wisdom at the time) and made a lot of people angry due to the lack of notes from EVERYONE on the field.

Hmmmmm which show was harder? I would say the 2nd place corps had more demands on them from a musical standpoint and had an excellent visual package to compliment the music ... or lack there of. The 1st place corps seemed to have a hit about every 30 seconds, wasn't as clean but stuck to an older school approach to drum corps.

I get a spooky feeling we might be seeing a "kinda" replay of that year come finals night. But I don't think the 1st place corps of 1993 will finish 1st this year. That rivalry might even see more distance between them come San Antonio. To me, Crowns book is more difficult. Not the same amount of notes, but still more difficult. I won't say the same for the visual program, but I think Crowns' is smarter - just like that other corps from 1993.

Crown's achilles heel may be their Guard.

Not that it's not a "good "Guard. But we are not talking " good " anymore when we are discussing Crown's prospects these days. They and their fans want to be seen as " Great ". You do that by winning it all.

If Carolina Crown fails to finish 1st or 2nd this year, it won't be their brass or percussion that will keep them from 1st or 2nd in my opinion. Most likely it will be their Guard that will keep them from finishing Finals in first or 2nd. But who among us really knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

That would have been the last thing I would have said about Crown, "not having a good guard". If there is a section that keeps my eye and attention it is the guard! Try horns; that may end up being Crown's achilles' heel. I know; shocking, but possible.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I can definitely see visually...but musically? You've got to be kidding me...Crown's horn and drum books have TONS of notes.

The argument that Crown's show is easy is getting really old.

Again, I could agree with you on the visual part, definitely...

And trainwreck? I don't think so, especially if you're implying that the Cadets are more talented than Crown...which is probably not true, considering that Crown 2009 has many former Cadets, Cavaliers, and Regiment members.

Edited by jamesjones0611

That would have been the last thing I would have said about Crown, "not having a good guard". If there is a section that keeps my eye and attention it is the guard! Try horns; that may end up being Crown's achilles' heel. I know; shocking, but possible.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I agree...Crown's guard is not their achilles' heel. I don't even think it is the brass either...and it's great that it isn't their percussion either which was their problem in years past. I frankly don't think they have an achilles' heel whether they finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd.