Who had the biggest impact on your corps experience?

As we all think back to our active Drum Corps days, there are many folks that we remember. Corps members, directors, instructors, support staff, etc. Endless stories of our various exploits are told whenever possible. This is a wonderful part of our activity. However, there are certain people that had a impact on us that goes beyond the stories.

I thought this would be a good forum to express our thoughts about these people. We might find that some of these have had an impact on more than one of us. Here's my list.

Jeff Perkins- Avant Garde Director. He taught me countless life lessons. How to be competitive on the field and in life. He was always about the Corps, always put himself last. The most dedicated man I have ever met.

Chet Zabeck-Avant Garde Instructor. You always knew where you stood with Chet. He helped me grow up.....quickly.

Dick Robilato-Avant Garde Instuctor (briefly). Gave me a singular butt chewing that has stayed with me to this day.

Joel Alleyne-De La Salle Oaklands / Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders. Joel was quoted in the DCI yearbook as saying "respect is earned, not given". That meant a lot to me as a 15 year old and even more to me now, as 49 year old.

Some of these people you may know. Some you have never heard of. That's the point. All of these folks, to this day, still impact me.

Share your stories if you want. If not, take a brief time out. Think back and remember the people that made your Drum Corps days not only enjoyable,but life changing.

Jerry Kaiser

For me it was Ken Norman. Some people would look and see from below that I didn't march in any of the corps that Ken taught and then wonder why.

1968. VFW Nationals in Detroit. I had just started marching and could barely play a horn. I saw the Kilties at finals exiting the field playing Auld Lange Syne- I still remember a snares drum head breaking during this exit- and thinking 'My God what have I gotten myself into?' I had tears in my eyes.

41 years and 4 DCA titles later that was the most influential drum corps moment ever for me.

Ken wrote their charts and I will never forget that or be able to thank Ken enough for influencing me.

Edited by Bucbari

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
The King K90 contrabass.

noshoes86a.jpg

Gail Royer. But after spending the past two days with VK, I must admit the man that made a difference 25 years ago, is still making a big difference today--Jack Bevins.

mecolt.JPG

The DEG contrabass too, I suppose!

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Moxley, Showed this eastern boy a perspective from the left coast

Bobby Cotter, Truly taught me how to march and explained technique to me without just yelling at me and offering no correction.

Bob Stewart, A maniac (that's a compliment :) from Anaheim who refined my marching skills with his take-no-prisoners approach to perfection.

Dan Lasdow, Was a kind soul, but would simply not accept mediocrity.

John Powers, Taught me there was more music out there than Peter Frampton and he was funny.

Jack Donovan, Was a great example for me

Neal Smith, The creator of many visual affects- taught me to be audacious and to make the bold strokes first, then worry about the details next.

Tom Lizotte, In my last two years of junior corps in North Star helped me with my inherent deficiancies in reading music and of not picking up an instrument until I was 15 with his kindness, patience and tutelage.

Mike Woodall and Gerry Noonan, Gave me a real opportunity to become and instructor by letting me on to BAC visual staff at a time when most non alumni were not ever allowed to do this. Also to Mike for remaining one of my best friends to this day.

Ed Devlin and Peter Tileston, Who looked past my faults but still allowed me to teach their award winning King Philip Regional Band and made this occasionally cocky one realize I shouldn't be reading my own press, but I should be looking for ways to improve, always and forever.

Gil Madrigale, Who was able to achieve excellence while going about it in a totally kind and loving manner. Now, that's tough!

George Zingali, Who I knew only breifly and never worked with officially, but who inspired me with his brilliance.

Jim O'Brien, Who made my experience marching in North Star truly memorable.

Rick Connor, For his unending encouragement mixed in with refreshing New England crustiness.

I take a bit of all this influence as I try to help bring back a corps from former interment. I deeply thank you all. Hope I didn't miss anybody.

Edited by Imperial

Don Warren...............thank you for starting the Cavaliers.

• 2 weeks later...

My Mother and Father.

Thank You both.

• 1 month later...

There are too many to name, but I must say that because Zingali made me feel like I was making progess, or growing, I'd have to give him the nod.

In 1979 when we he was teaching us how to march in the middle of winter - , marking time was almost totally on the toes/supposed to be an even distribution as the foot is coming down so that our heads didn't bob. The heel almost didn't touch the ground.

He called out Kathy Howell (the best) and I in front of the whole corps and began a rant and made us do it along with the heel toe roll.

This type of thing was both good and bad. But to made to feel special regarding technique and "emotion" was a thrill beyond belief. Believe me, probably the next hour he was sreaming at me for something, but to believe you've actually "gotten it" was a thrill.

It happened many more times with items used in the basic block. He was very generous! :thumbdown: