Autzen Stadium (Eugene Or) performances

Well! The season has officially begun in the Northwest and here's my views.

Cascades: Umnnn... wow. Where to start? I'm sorry to report that this show was the most sloppy I've ever seen coming out of Seattle. Intonation problems, discordant music, kids literally running into each other on the field constantly. The drum line was about the only positive I saw. But all in all, this show needs a LOT of work.

Oregon Crusaders: I've noticed over the past years that the start of your season is always very sloppy. In fact, terrible. But by DCI championships, you guys manage to pull it together and score very well. It's time someone said this... THAT IS A LOUSY ETHIC. Your goal should be to please your audience, not the judges. The show appeared lazy, and wrought with the same problems as the Cascades. But I could tell the Cascades were at least trying. Your score in Eugene was based on the new Volcano scoring system, and I really believe this is why you beat the Cascades on your home turf.

Your my hometown corps. And I'm through being disappointed by you without saying anything about it.

Troopers: WELCOME BACK! The West(ern) Side Story was a great idea! And musically, it was terrific. I think with just a bit of clean-up, you have a real winner of a show here. And it was really fun to watch.

Blue Knights: I was expecting the usual darkness of your musical presentation which leaves me pretty non-plussed with you. HOLY COW! I was surprised. One of the finest musical performances I've seen in a long long time. Thank you! Your hornline is filled with fantastic talent. Having said all that... the two moments of electric keyboard use I found to be very VERY distracting. I understand it's use, but I think it could be done WITHOUT the "winter wind" electric sound and the "john Denver" guitar sounds.

But it was a really great show!

Santa Clara: What can I say? THIS IS DRUM CORPS. Such beauty, so perfectly put together. People in the audience, including me...were crying. I hope you take it to the top this year. If you can't, then I really wanna see who's gonna beat you.