BD wins it

Well, maybe they sound different when they're moving, but when they're standing still they have issues. I don't care what the score says. But like I mentioned earlier, they have a great drumline. But I know what I heard, and parts of their book the snareline has issues with at this point in time.

Hell, in 1992, Madison Scouts line had A LOT of dirt in the beginning of the season. They sounded a mess. But by Preview of Champions, they were pretty freakin' good. Total 180.

Of course, this is only one person's opinion. I invite you to stand in front of them yourself and report what you hear.

I accept your view and it sounds like you understand the drumline far better than I, but my guess is that ScoJo is out for blood this year!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what'd the dude do when everyone else was sitting? just squat?

The funny Part was the gal on the guard pretending to climb up and down the non existant chair... let me see if i can find a pic....

I wonder how much that affected their score last night

SDC12716.jpg

SDC12681.jpg

2nd chair back, 2nd chair from the right

SDC12688.jpg

Here's the judge standing where the chair should have been

Edited by ElCajonSalvo

Well, maybe they sound different when they're moving, but when they're standing still they have issues. I don't care what the score says. But like I mentioned earlier, they have a great drumline. But I know what I heard, and parts of their book the snareline has issues with at this point in time.

Hell, in 1992, Madison Scouts line had A LOT of dirt in the beginning of the season. They sounded a mess. But by Preview of Champions, they were pretty freakin' good. Total 180.

Of course, this is only one person's opinion. I invite you to stand in front of them yourself and report what you hear.

i have no doubt that they were dirty. thats why they scored a 17.4... because its still the 2nd freaking week of the season. show me a snareline that isnt dirty right now and ill show you a line that has a book thats too easy and wont win the drum title anyway.

i have no doubt that they were dirty. thats why they scored a 17.4... because its still the 2nd freaking week of the season. show me a snareline that isnt dirty right now and ill show you a line that has a book that's too easy and wont win the drum title anyway.

If you go by that then Devil's tenor line has an easy book because they were pretty clean. And just because someone is clean early doesn't mean they have an easy book. Cadet's '89 comes to mind for that. I forget what year it was (late '90's early 2000's), but there was this open/exposed roll that Devil's snareline had and it was dirty for much of the season, maybe even at finals. I am sure they had a good percussion score regardless.

And I know it's early on in the season. I just think it's silly how people are declaring Devil's clean when some parts aren't at this point. Just wanted to bring some realism to the subject instead of putting BD on a pedestal. And like I mentioned previously, Devil's have a great drumline. But the OP mentioned how this was already over, and having seen SCV on July 3rd and BD on July 4th, I wouldn't say it's "over." Heck, there's Crown and a few other corps to consider too.

So they do still wear those ridiculous skirt things?

That's going to cost them the championship.

But in all seriousness, I hate those things.

I will not attempt to convince you why you should like the BD sashes. You either do or you don't. But they are not skirts and more specifically they are traditional military garb. Many armies still use them in their formal dress attire. I some ways they are a psychological replacement for the sword. Most warriors were right-handed so they carried their sword on the left hip (which is where the sash is located). In the news interview for the Vegas show, there is footage of BD (circa 1980?) with similar sashes. http://www.ktnv.com/global/video/flash/pop...mp;rnd=54950020. :thumbup:

Edited by Plan9

I will not attempt to convince you why you should like the BD sashes. You either do or you don't. But they are not skirts and more specifically they are traditional military garb. Many armies still use them in their formal dress attire. I some ways they are a psychological replacement for the sword. In the news interview for the Vegas show, there is footage of BD (circa 1980?) with similar sashes. http://www.ktnv.com/global/video/flash/pop...mp;rnd=54950020. :thumbup:

That footage was from 1979. Why show 30 year old footage? It's not like DCI hasn't produced video since then. BD probably has some of their own video they could have used if there was a problem with rights from DCI.

Regarding the sashes 08/09 vs sashes BITD. The drop sashes we used to wear were an extension of the cumberbund. Does the current BD uniform have a cumberbund? If so, the sashes make sense. If not, they make no sense at all. I need to find a pic or two to see if the continuity is there or not...

OK, from the pictures on CorpsReps.com, some of them look like there is a black cumberbund under the jacket that is exposed when horns are up, but I can't be certain. If that is what the uniform piece is attached to, then it is authentic.

What I don't like, and this goes back since they added it, are the stipes down the left pantleg and the sleeves. I think the uniform was "cleaner" without the stripes.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

That footage was from 1979. Why show 30 year old footage? It's not like DCI hasn't produced video since then. BD probably has some of their own video they could have used if there was a problem with rights from DCI.

Regarding the sashes 08/09 vs sashes BITD. The drop sashes we used to wear were an extension of the cumberbund. Does the current BD uniform have a cumberbund? If so, the sashes make sense. If not, they make no sense at all. I need to find a pic or two to see if the continuity is there or not...

OK, from the pictures on CorpsReps.com, some of them look like there is a black cumberbund under the jacket that is exposed when horns are up, but I can't be certain. If that is what the uniform piece is attached to, then it is authentic.

What I don't like, and this goes back since they added it, are the stipes down the left pantleg and the sleeves. I think the uniform was "cleaner" without the stripes.

Garry in Vegas

Can't say why they used that footage. Don't know. Whether the sashes are attached or not to a cumberbund misses the point. Everyone refers to these as "skirts" and I have been to enough "formal dining in's" in the military to say that if someone asked a marine wearing a sash,"Hey, what's with the skirt"....they would be picking roast beef out of multiple orifices for some time.

Can't say why they used that footage. Don't know. Whether the sashes are attached or not to a cumberbund misses the point. Everyone refers to these as "skirts" and I have been to enough "formal dining in's" in the military to say that if someone asked a marine wearing a sash,"Hey, what's with the skirt"....they would be picking roast beef out of multiple orifices for some time.

So, we're on a drum corps board, and people are calling them "skirts". Now, why would they do that? Maybe to annoy the BD fans? And I don't see the average BD member having the same attitude as a Marine. After all, if drum corps is just marching band, then BD is band geek heaven. Maybe they could change their name! Blue Geeks! Kinda has a ring to it...but not 12 of them!

:thumbup:

Regarding whether the sashes are attached or not is exactly the point. Attaching them to a cumberbund would be an accurate military dress uniform presentation, with a modern twist. The lack of a cumberbund would be innaccurate.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor