DCP going down the tubes?

Because this is about the forums itself rather than drum corps, I'm moving this to the Customer Service forum.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this is about the forums itself rather than drum corps, I'm moving this to the Customer Service forum.

Interesting way to pass the buck.

( lets put it somewhere that people don't look to often so we don't upset the bandos ? )

:worthy:

Besides, this was more about the TYPE of poster and the effect on the forums, not the forums themselves.

Edited by The Other Mike

Now this is an example of a well thought out post.

Oh and emoticons are our friends because they often clue us in on if you are joking or being cynical.

Oh #### ### :wall:

( wow, a compliment on DCP :lol: ? I don't know how to react :smile: )

Interesting way to pass the buck.

( lets put it somewhere that people don't look to often so we don't upset the bandos ? )

Besides, this was more about the TYPE of poster and the effect on the forums, not the forums themselves.

We have always moved threads to their proper forum.

I kind of feel a need to chime in on this one.

I have been a Forum Support Team Member on DCP pretty much from it's inception. The core of the moderating team has been largely intact for quite some time now. We do take on new mods from time to time as required but make it a point to "get them on the same page" as the rest of us. We have a private forum that we regularly hold discussions in and only in blatant cases do mods generally take action on their own. More often than not, when sanctioning action against an individual member takes place, we (the mods) have discussed it amongst ourselves and consulting with the senior FSTM's and the Community Admins, and generally come to a consensus decision.

The FSTM members here are all volunteer. We do our best, but cannot be in all places at all times. DCP is a community, not just the mod team. We depend on the community for policing this site. In real life, if you were walking down the street and saw someone say being mugged. You would call the cops. You would not just walk on, let the victim get mugged and then blame the police for not being there before they got mugged. It's the same here. Although nobody is mugging anyone here, we (the mods) are not always Johnny-On-The-Spot. We rely on you, the Community members to use the "Report Post" function.

Are there more idiots here lately? Yes I guess there may be. Are they more disrespectful than in the past? Possibly. That said, we have literally THOUSANDS of individual users, most of whom post on a regular basis and a moderating team of 21 (including John and Mike). So help us out.

This is not the "old" DCP but to compare it with RAMD is wholly unfair.

That said, this was off topic and had Dave not moved it, I would have.

I've noticed a lot more descension on DCP this year than in recent years.

I've noticed more and more one line/half sentence posts that are brutal and "a matter of factly".

I've noticed a disappointing ability for most to respond to longer posts that are well thought out and supported with detailed facts, opinions and data.

There are a few main kinds of threads here on DCP. Show Threads, Corps Threads, Slam Threads, Highbrow Threads.

Show threads are a place where everyone can chitchat and get updates in close to real time. The problem with show threads is when a "honk" or "hater" comes in with a one liner backhand slap to the face such as "Your corps sux0rz" and doesn't back up why they think that way. Seriously, there should be a rule against this type of antagonization if DCP wishes to maintain/grow it's following and have some shred of integrity in the process.

Corps threads are great and offer an opportunity for fan$ of said corps to show their love and discuss this corps show in detail. Same problem as with the Show Threads, someone has to come in and stir the pot with a one liner and all hell breaks loose.

Slam Threads flat out should not be tolerated. I think the mods are smart enough to understand if a member of DCP has posted a thread in good faith and supported their viewpoint by way of in depth responses supported by public material, historical data, trends, etc etc etc. The mods are also smart enough to understand when the poster has NOT done so.

Highbrow Threads are the most fun for me. There are a handful of members on this board who enjoy having healthy debate and in depth analysis of intriguing subject matter that makes us all think, support our views properly and make this website something worth visiting. It also requires some effort on the responders part to put in the same effort as the poster you're responding to. Again, it's the (insert your favorite label) people who ruin those threads, usually by posting a one line response to an excellent post over stupid things like syntax or a backhanded slam on something taken out of context. The really disappointing thing to me, is that if someone takes the time to write an excellent post in the OTHER threads it is usually overlooked, not responded to at all or knitpicked by the children of DCP.

Has the IQ of DCP membership really plunged so low? I think most of you are better than that, you're just being lazy. It's getting to the point where DCP should rethink their chat categories and group these types of threads accordingly. There should also be some tougher rules spelled out so MOM doesn't get her panties in a pinch when a dimwitted punk attacks their beloved corps in the "IMPROPER" manner in which they do it.

So now I'm pointing the finger at almost everyone. DCP, lay down some better rules and tighten up the site. DCP'ers ..... put in some effort and take care when you post. Mod's..... help clean this place up. At least make an effort. After all, who wants to read a 32 page thread when 20 pages of it is people arguing like 2 year olds over who can talk the loudest?

ok

I kind of feel a need to chime in on this one.

Are there more idiots here lately? Yes I guess there may be. Are they more disrespectful than in the past? Possibly. That said, we have literally THOUSANDS of individual users, most of whom post on a regular basis and a moderating team of 21 (including John and Mike). So help us out.

This is not the "old" DCP but to compare it with RAMD is wholly unfair.

That said, this was off topic and had Dave not moved it, I would have.

NOT unfair at all. The difference between DCP and the old RAMD comes down to 3 things:

1) No cursing or verbal abuse on DCP ( which I like most of the time, but face it, telling someone to "### ###### once in awhile is needed everywhere in life )

2) Too many people with no experience making posts as if they actaually have a clue. ( which I HATE, way too many usless posts to sift through to find the great ones. Sometimes, as I stated, someone must be shown just how much of a jerk they are but you really can't do that........even in a joking manner with a friend on DCP)

3) Advertising ( but you really need the #'s for the advertising so the idiots and wanna be's can run unchecked )

Other than that, DCP is becoming exactly what George Dixon hated about RAMD, but it's also what I hate about what DCI has become.

At least you don't allow "she who will not be named" to post. You get lots of points for that !!

Regards,

We have always moved threads to their proper forum.

Always ?

Hardly, but you guys have a tough job.

But some friendly advice, don't try to out BS a BSer.

Of course, you have the power so I will be stepping in line before I get censored.

I'm with you on this and will add that I don't get how suspensions are applied. I got the boot for a week for saying that someone was evading a question (using a Star Trek "evasive maneuvers" reference to hopefully make it humourous).

Yes there will be a few people that just want to stir it up, others that have a particular point of view they are trying to push, but complaining that it isn't all "Anne of Green Gables" isn't realistic, I'm afraid. People are pretty passionate about this activity.

i got 4 days for asking what a show was about

I'm trying to figure out if I've contributed to this notion in a positive or a negative way. I think a lot of the one-liners are interesting regardless of substance. If I were to try to label myself with the intellectual name tag (and I'm sure a lot of people on here would disagree with me), I would say that if nothing else it is interesting to teach the uneducated. If I were to label myself as the high school (despite being in college) wanna-be (despite marching corps) who only comes on here to bash and say random things, I would be looking to others for guidance.

But I know a lot of people don't come on here for guidance. I just think that the "lesser" crowd on here has to realize that there are people on here who marched for several years, people who taught for several years, even people who judged for several years, and they actually know what they're talking about. I love reading a hate post that's geared towards a person and then I go to the profile of the person it's geared towards and it says "marched this many years, taught from this year to this year, volunteered from this year to this year".

I suppose I haven't been on DCP long enough (which is why I'm nervous I've been labeled in THAT crowd) to actually understand things like credibility. But maybe DCP could make it sort of like a plateau forum. You start out with no credibility, but people can give you credibility based on the validity and thoughtfulness of your responses. Anyone can comment on the bottom plateau, but as you move up the plateaus, you have to have a given amount of credibility to comment. Hopefully that makes sense, and hopefully it doesn't sound too elitist.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by acolli17