DCP going down the tubes?

DCP wasn't created because of too many inexperienced people being allowed to post. George created this site because of the outright trolling (usually by people who were anything but inexperienced in drum corps) that was making RAMD uninhabitable for anyone else. We're not going to start shutting down threads because someone thinks they're too negative or thinks the original poster doesn't have enough experience to make a certain point; we'd have maybe five posters if that was our standard. We go through this same thing every year: if you can't read a thread without having a visceral reaction to the content, it's probably best to ignore it, or come back to it when you can address the subject without berating the poster. If it violates the guidelines or you're not sure, hit the report button and we'll look at it, but there's no guarantee that we'll agree with you. Our goal is not to limit conversation but rather to enable it, by eliminating legitimate trolls and people who are only seeking to disrupt things--but we're not going to shutter something because it's in disagreement with a certain group of posters.

And yes, always. Perhaps by a different standard than you would employ, but as much as we can, unless we just miss one.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got 4 days for asking what a show was about

This was actually my second suspension. The first one I sent repeated requests for explanation on exactly which post was the offending item, all were met with silence. At least this time they told me, but it was pretty ridiculous in my mind. I PM'd Mike and have received no reply on it.

I don't get how these decisions are made.

Huh....the only action I ever got was John D hitting me on the head with his hat at the Riverside show last year after a political comment (something about one of the presidential candidates saying something that I likened to slitting his own throat in a political sense) that he'd removed.

'Course, I don't GENERALLY go around making trouble....I think the worst I ever got was when discussing my dislike of certain DCI and DCA policies re minimum corps size....

But maybe DCP could make it sort of like a plateau forum. You start out with no credibility, but people can give you credibility based on the validity and thoughtfulness of your responses. Anyone can comment on the bottom plateau, but as you move up the plateaus, you have to have a given amount of credibility to comment. Hopefully that makes sense, and hopefully it doesn't sound too elitist.

Just some thoughts.

What a great idea but my God, the job of governing that would be a nightmare.

DCP wasn't created because of too many inexperienced people being allowed to post. George created this site because of the outright trolling (usually by people who were anything but inexperienced in drum corps) that was making RAMD uninhabitable for anyone else. We're not going to start shutting down threads because someone thinks they're too negative or thinks the original poster doesn't have enough experience to make a certain point; we'd have maybe five posters if that was our standard. We go through this same thing every year: if you can't read a thread without having a visceral reaction to the content, it's probably best to ignore it, or come back to it when you can address the subject without berating the poster. If it violates the guidelines or you're not sure, hit the report button and we'll look at it, but there's no guarantee that we'll agree with you. Our goal is not to limit conversation but rather to enable it, by eliminating legitimate trolls and people who are only seeking to disrupt things--but we're not going to shutter something because it's in disagreement with a certain group of posters.

And yes, always. Perhaps by a different standard than you would employ, but as much as we can, unless we just miss one.

Ummmm, I never said that. I said the DIFFERENCE between RAMD and DCP was that many inexperienced people being allowed to post without getting smacked into place on DCP because they knew nothing. DCP gives every idiot a chance, RAMD did not. ( Mr Moderator please don't try to put words in my mouth. I get in enough trouble on my own )

Lets face it, it was because of a certain woman who lived in a trailer park and wore a dalmation kilt and her endless posts in a mentally unfit sate as well as the rude and barbaric behavior. George himself would rant about the behavior on RAMD about RAMD posters as well as she who will not be named. Sorry, I was there and know for fact, not just the company line. :worthy:

Hey, as far as moving this thread ? It's your choice because you have the POWER. The fact that this thread runs parallel to actions of many of todays marching members "ugly side" ( see retreat last year) gives it the appearence of being swept under the rug.....afterall, we don't want to see the ugly facts. I stil say this was NOT about threads or forums, but about the mentality of not only posters, but todays society in general. But thats just my opinion.

yes, we all have opinions as they say, it's just plain funny that someone has the ##### to bring it up in the most read forum, where it would get the most "airtime" and it is put in the seldom read corner.

Let's not pay attention to the elephant in the room, maybe it will go away.

with all due respect

By the way, how many of Georges posts on RAMD would you like me to quote to show it wasn't just about "her" ?

There are MANY.

Geeeezzzz, maybe I need to change the bait ?

:worthy:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... ok

MY OP was about the quality of posting, the care in posting, the interaction of posters, the guidelines of posting (or potential future guidelines).

It was NOT about MOD's or RAMD or what mod did what to whom. I definitely appreciate the thoughtful interaction that brought up these subjects, but moving the thread to this forum has totally derailed the original intent of the post. I did want to send a message to the MOD team and the administrative team who organizes the site and sets the guidelines for users, but that is NOT the main top of discussion in this thread. If anything, the main idea in that portion of my post was geared toward inspiring some debate about the structure of sub categories on DCP. I'm glad that conversation brought up some good debate and fresh ideas. I just don't get why this had to be made into a MOD thread.

Also, reading through the responses, you can tell who read the thread title and posted without reading anything. Pretty disappointing and part of my gripe in the HIGHBROW THREAD analysis.

Look, we all love healthy discussion and know there will be some useless posts flung about. This thread was heading in that direction before the move and now it's something totally different than intended. It's MOSTLY about the the people on the site and how they conduct themselves. It's MOSTLY about using our brains to post with more quality. There's a LITTLE bit of question about the structure of the site and if some changes could be made through moderation to support a better environment. Now it's about the LITTLE bit instead of the BIG STUFF.

The thread title was for shock value. And it worked. The content of the thread is not an attack on DCP. But thanks for killing the thread by moving it where it doesn't really belong. I'll just do short posts from now on and try to remember that open debate and collaboration of ideas on how to make things better is a NO NO. THANKS DCP :worthy:

The thread title was for shock value. And it worked. The content of the thread is not an attack on DCP. But thanks for killing the thread by moving it where it doesn't really belong. I'll just do short posts from now on and try to remember that open debate and collaboration of ideas on how to make things better is a NO NO. THANKS DCP :worthy:

But at least you gave me something to do this AM besides play Farm Town on FB, and I actually had fun pointing some things out. Sorry if I hijacked your thread but once it was swept under the DCP carpet, I could not resist myself.

If I had POWER, it would be on the most read section. Thank you for at least trying to bring up a subject that needed discussion, even if I did use it for "trolling for moderators".

Thanks Mike.

I guess since we're stuck in customer service ......... who has good ideas on how to change the structure?

Is it needed? Can it be done better? Do we need better rules? Do we need more MOD's?

(see mods .. this wasn't about you ... but now it is because you made it so :)