Columbia FirstBEAT Battle

I agree. Crown should just take care of what they are capable of taking care of and just not think about things beyond their control. There is no value in looking over their shoulder right now. Crown has a capable staff and will keep them focused. And the Cadets staff hass been here before. This is the norm for them. They know what they have to do to get where they want to be on Finals Night. Scores and placements in July are easily forgotten by Labor Day. It's not where you start, but where you finish.

Exactly! That's why this year's champion will be...

Phantom Regiment :tongue:

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The posters from HNC and Crown are getting so obnoxious and consumed, that I hope some corps west of Cleveland shows up and puts and end to this endless blather

Exactly! That's why this year's champion will be...

Phantom Regiment :tongue:

Maybe, but their Percussion scores and Guard scores need to improve before a repeat is in the cards for them. But they are certainly within the mix of Corps with a shot right now.

The posters from HNC and Crown are getting so obnoxious and consumed, that I hope some corps west of Cleveland shows up and puts and end to this endless blather

Not many honks on DCP these days for either Blue Devils or the Cavaliers. Goes with the territory I'd imagine.

Who, me? I'm just tryin to teach my friend how to post a banner!!

Then I'll bet that you will just LOVE me.

Tonight's show.....

I'm really, really glad that it wasn't rained out. The $50 that I paid for tickets is a veritable fortune for a graduate student.

Blue Stars were loud and I was quite taken aback and....well, impressed.

Holy Name Cadets were....amazing. I found that there were many 'wow' moments throughout the show, and even more moments in which words escaped me. I was so proud to call myself an alumni. The horn line had such a resonant sound, and the writing was stellar (Jay). There were some problems with feet in the sound, but then again.....they were moving at incredibly high tempos and in some really, really intricate drill. What's more, they make it look easy. My boyfriend, who had never seen a drum corps show until tonight, commented 'Whoa, they never stop, do they? They're like a perfect...machine. Badas*'. It's true. Even during what might be considered their ballad, they were trucking it all over the field.

I was also proud to tell my new to drum corps boyfriend that I am an alumni of Crown; they were spectacular. I loved how they visually and musically broke apart Copeland and the company front at the beginning and then put it back together in the end....very cool. The brass had a lovely sound, and I enjoyed their arrangements. I do however, have a few gripes. Altogether, I find that Crown is---for lack of a better term---effeminate. Oh yes, there WAS marching, but there was just as much prancing, sitting, kneeling, laying, and other relaxing recreational activites going on during the show as there was marching; it was really 50% prancing and 50% actual marching. But, I suppose that's their identity now? My boyfriend (I only add in his commentary because he's objective, I suppose) commented that they were 'cute'. Which pretty much summed up my feelings concerning their show. It's cute.

That being said, I did love Crown's show. I am a Crown fan. However, I can see the reasons behind all of the recent scores, and why they're .35 points ahead. They're sitting, and kneeling, and posing. It sure would have been nice to sit down during an 11 and a half minute show, to catch my breath and so I'd have less to worry about cleaning, but Jeff Sacktig didn't see it that way, so he never wrote that in for me.

It's pretty clear. Cadets are flying, and once they hit that end of the season cleaning frenzy, they'll be incredible. Crown is doing new and different things with the way they move on the field, and I certainly respect it.

I love Cadets. I love Crown. I hope they beat the tar out of the West Coast.

Edited by Brasskitten

Hmm. Recaps. Cadets are closing fast in GE, and dominating Visual. Crown is ahead in all music captions, and especially dominant in percussion. If the HNC percussion can get healthy and clean up, it will be a good thing.