Kingsport review

No, the drumline is not carrying the group. Scores have been fairly consistent in all captions so far for Memphis. Brass actually scored higher than percussion the other night in Kingsport.

Okay thanks for answering to you and Elmo!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review. Fair and balanced with personal opinions stated as such. Honest thoughts and no slams to any corps. Great job.

couldnt have said it any better

If I recall, there were 14 brass and 16 in the drumline. I think the horns did better than the drums the other night mostly because Legends drumline was that good.

I hate to be the one to say it, but I think the work that Nick Golding and I did with Spokane Thunder in 2008 really set the standard for what a small brass-line can and should be able to do. 14 horns is rough though. I guess the trick is not to treat them like they're small - as long as they produce a good sound. All the best. I feel their pain. I really want to see this years' Open Class corps.

Mandarins won Division III in 1992 with 9 horns.

There have been quite a few hornlines over the years that have done wonders (Spokane last year was amazing). When I taught Blue Stars in 99 we have 19 brass (3 late season plugs held horns and didn't play), and we took 16th in Division I.

We have 16 brass now and they are amazing. We had hoped to fill the last 4 holes and get to 20... but I am blown away by the determination in this corps. I know there are a lot of folks betting on us to fail, but these kids aren't taking that as an option.

Looking forward to seeing how the corps pulls it together for the two DFW shows this week/weekend.

Wow, you have no sense of drum corps before 2008, do you?

1985-1986 Oshawa Rebels

1985-1987 Sancians

1988-2000 Mandarins

1995-1997 East Coast Jazz

1998 Phantom Legion

late 90's early 2000's Marion Cadets

2001 Cinn Glory

2000-2001 General Butler Vagabonds

Learn about the past.

There have been many fine corps with small brass sections - and most placed much higher than Spokane did in 2008.

Well a lot has changed in the game of drum corps since even 2001, my friend. How about a truce: You stop living in the past and I'll try and learn more about it. Agreed?

Edited by hammondbrass

Mandarins won Division III in 1992 with 9 horns.

There have been quite a few hornlines over the years that have done wonders (Spokane last year was amazing). When I taught Blue Stars in 99 we have 19 brass (3 late season plugs held horns and didn't play), and we took 16th in Division I.

We have 16 brass now and they are amazing. We had hoped to fill the last 4 holes and get to 20... but I am blown away by the determination in this corps. I know there are a lot of folks betting on us to fail, but these kids aren't taking that as an option.

Looking forward to seeing how the corps pulls it together for the two DFW shows this week/weekend.

I wish you guys the best of luck, I know how tough that can be. The combination of Div II and III was good (I think) for the activity, but it can make it a bit harder for smaller corps to medal. I hope you guys can kick some bigger corps' ###. Good luck!

Wow, you have no sense of drum corps before 2008, do you?

1985-1986 Oshawa Rebels

1985-1987 Sancians

1988-2000 Mandarins

1995-1997 East Coast Jazz

1998 Phantom Legion

late 90's early 2000's Marion Cadets

2001 Cinn Glory

2000-2001 General Butler Vagabonds

Learn about the past.

There have been many fine corps with small brass sections - and most placed much higher than Spokane did in 2008.

You sure forgot one of the best Div III corps of the 90's .....The Americanos 1994 DIV III World Champions with 16 brass and total of 33 kids on the field.

What has changed since 2001?

Well arranged and performing small groups have been around forever. The wheel was not invented in Spokane in 2008.

Please provide specifics

name='hammondbrass' date='Jul 14 2009, 11:06 PM' post='2583427']

Well a lot has changed in the game of drum corps since even 2001, my friend. How about a truce: You stop living in the past and I'll try and learn more about it. Agreed?

For one, the combination of Div. II/III into Open Class. That's a big one - it did happen after you marched (I'm assuming, you have no signature) so I'm not sure if you were aware of it. (Had this rule not been in place, we would have definitely medaled. Though I think the merging of Div. II and III was for the best, it helped legitimize the developing corps into one class, and I enjoyed competing with the "big boys" while trouncing some of their brass-lines which were three times our size).

Too bad the kid who thinks he invented decent small brass programs last year thinks that's just in the past.

Secondly, I'm not a little kid. If you're sharp on your history, you'll notice that I marched Tarheel Sun in 1998. Do you remember what happened that year? Here, I'll refresh your memory: our 60 piece brass-line (which was still 10-pointing the competition a la "Academy style" by the end of July, was destroy single-handedly by Adam Rapa and ECJ's tiny horn-line - also Spartans and Patriots). So I'm frightfully aware about small corps and what they can do (though I think that Spokane 2008 was a lot cleaner and more balanced than ECJ 98).

So why don't you offer your services and knowledge to a struggling corps next year, and you can show me and everyone on DCP what it's all about, huh? 2008 Spokane was an incredible year for me (learning and teaching). And I don't think there is a harder test for staff and members to compete with a small brass-line. Balancing ensemble (battery, front ensemble, and brass) can be a nightmare and there is nowhere to hide bad sounds and balance problems. I want to give my members their props and I won't let you diminish any of their accomplishments with side-line/arm-chair analysis.

I just wanted to withdraw from this topic before it gets any more out of hand. I kinda derailed this topic from a nice review and for that I apologize. I'm very passionate about music, brass, drum corps, and competition and I don't want my mouth to detract from my original good intentions. Thanks.

Well you got one thing right- the 1998 Tar Heel Sun was one painful hornline to witness.

They never beat ECJ or Patriots by 10 points though.

You're right, 10 points was an exaggeration, but Tarheel did usually have a 4-7 point spread on Patriots, and a 2-5 point spread on ECJ all season. You can verify that on fromthepressbox.com. None of that really matters, because Patriots and ECJ were able to slip by at the end. I don't disagree with the final placements that year. I am a little disappointed that a petty squabble with an obnoxious poster would lead you to disparage an entire hornline that was pretty good by div II standards. I'm with you though, there really have been some exceptional div III brasslines. I was always amazed with the work that the Mandarins and Les Etoiles did in the mid-late 90's.