Why won't DCI let us watch finals LIVE?

I've never understood why DCI can't let us watch finals live. We get quarters in the movie theaters, and semis online, but no options for finals. Putting DCI in a movie theater on a Saturday night is not realistic, but streaming would be a great option!

What's the deal? Anyone "in the know" that can answer this for us? I can think of a couple reasons why we aren't allowed access, and neither make sense:

1) Less DVDs sold. This doesn't work since we all see the exact same show in the two nights prior. And watching a one-time live show on a webcast is nothing compared to the DVD production.

2) Less travel to finals night. I still don't think this would hurt DCI, because many of the die-hard fans are going to Indy anyway. As I said earlier, you get the same performances (for the most part) for two nights straight, and if this doesn't deter 20,000 people from traveling to Indy, streaming finals will not either.

Could you imagine, if DCI charged $9.99 for finals night...including retreat?? They would make a KILLING on top of the 20,000 buying tickets and food at Lucas Oil Stadium!

Instead of seeing Phantom Regiment's awesome victory, we just get hyped up on Thursday to refresh DCP on Saturday... :tongue:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$120 a piece for DVDs > $9.99 for just finals night...?

Pretty sure there's the element of packaging by the host city and agreements between DCI and Indy with regards to tourism, hotels, shopping ... Indy has expectations of DCI. It's part of the deal.

If they offered an at-home viewing of Finals, people wouldn't shell out hundreds of dollars to not only see DCI Finals week, but to get a hotel room, plan flights, etc. It'd be a lot cheaper, but a lot less money to DCI. That is, unless they charge an enormous amount for the online cast.

Economic realities, meet jetman. jetman, meet economic realities.

Make a killing selling finals online at $10 a pop??? :tongue:

If by killing you mean killing DCI within one year, yeah, this might do it.

If DCI does put finals online PPV, someday, I am very confident it will have to be priced quite a bit higher than $10 a view. Please compare the price of quarterfinals tickets to semifinals tickets to finals tickets in the stadium. Please compare the price scale of quarterfinals in the theater to semifinals online, and work a little algebra where x is the missing variable for online finals price next to semifinals online price, and you'll see: it will be much higher than $10.

If they make it $10, they would cannibilize-- seriously cut into-- sales of Fantastic 5 ticket packages, sales of finals tickets, hotel reservations and everything that goes with that, sales of DVDs and CDs as people realize it makes much more sense to stay home and record finals online for $10 than pay the much higher prices to do the other stuff.

And DCI is a major part of the financial base for each open class drum corps. If DCI has a year in which their revenue drops precipitiously because of something like this, open class corps will fold.

I know, they would probably charge $29.99, making this whole idea useless.

But Peel, you're looking past my second point there. Watching a stream still isn't enough to take hardcore fans out of the seats. You're talking about travel plans, food, lodging, the whole deal - is someone THAT into DCI, who flies to finals, going to say "ehh, forget it" because there's a streaming option online? I don't think so.

People go to see the experience live. For those who don't care to see finals live (in my case, Allentown is only the weekend before and you see the same shows) or don't have the money to fly to Indy, there should be some sort of streaming option.

And if that is why DCI is concerned, why stream Quarters/Semis at all? Won't people skip those ticketed events to stay in the movie theaters? But they don't... :tongue:

DVD's are a giant source of revenue.

A one-time fee to watch a web stream wouldn't compete with buying DVDs... as stated, with the DVDs you get replay-ability. With the webcast you do not.

As for it taking fans out of the stands... again, no. Quality of an online audio stream =/= live performance. If watching things on TV REALLY was a big hit to events then professional sports would be screwed. People will still get to shows FIRST using webcasts as a BACK-UP plan.

In the 70's, Finals were broadcast LIVE on PBS.

Why?

Because drum corps at that time had broad populist appeal due to it still having 100's of corps and residual community appeal from associations with local community groups.

After that, DCI asserted itself and the activity became more niche. When you become niche, you rely on income frome a smaller group of hardcorps fans.

The smaller group of fans creates fear that making the show more accessible will cause less attendance.

This was not the case in 1978. They had a full stadium in Denver AND it was available live nationally on broadcast TV.