Why won't DCI let us watch finals LIVE?

Maybe DCI takes the lead fom baseball, if there is a NO "sell out" of the local game there is no local TV.

Perhaps DCI set's an expected number of ticket to sell for finals, once that number is met, then the send out LIVE ON DEMAND similiar to WWF or BOXING pay per view live events. with similiar prices.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it would affect Finals attendance nearly as much as you say (it didn't in the past.) I think most people who would order a Finals stream wouldn't be attending anyway- due to money and/or time constraints, and this would present both an opportunity for these fans to experience it "live" (so to speak) and DCI a chance to bring in another revenue stream. As much as I'd like to attend, there's NO chance of it right now- but I'd certainly plop down for the chance to watch it live. (Assuming the've worked out the technical issues.)

Same here....I've only been to finals 3 times in my career....84 as a competitor (which kinda doesn't count for this discussion), 85, and 07....and 07 only because it was 20 minutes from home.

Same as Sam. I've been 4 times. 1983-85 as a competitor and '07 because it was 6.5 hours from home.

While the ESPN broadcast is no longer happening, the contract between DCI and ESPN might still be in place. Part of that contract might prevent DCI from doing any live broadcasts of Finals during the length of the contract, regardless of whether or not the ESPN broadcast takes place.

Does anybody know if this might be a factor AND if it's also a factor in the delay of Finals videos getting posted on the Fan Network?

While the ESPN broadcast is no longer happening, the contract between DCI and ESPN might still be in place. Part of that contract might prevent DCI from doing any live broadcasts of Finals during the length of the contract, regardless of whether or not the ESPN broadcast takes place.

Does anybody know if this might be a factor AND if it's also a factor in the delay of Finals videos getting posted on the Fan Network?

Ooooo...hadn't considered that. Kinda wish this had been asked July 3....I could've asked Dan A when I bumped into him at the Rose Bowl!

Edited by 84BDsop

Ooooo...hadn't considered that. Kinda wish this had been asked July 3....I could've asked Dan A when I bumped into his at the Rose Bowl!

Here's another angle to my original post: If that ESPN contract is preventing DCI from broadcasting Finals in any way now, will that change once the contract runs out?

Here's another angle to my original post: If that ESPN contract is preventing DCI from broadcasting Finals in any way now, will that change once the contract runs out?

Without seeing the contract, I'd guess it would. An expired contract wouldn't have any power unless there were provisions for future broadcasts....the question is WHERE? PBS ain't gonna take it back. i can't think of an network big enough to be worth the cost to buy airtime....

Here's my say for the DCI market research team:

I don't buy the DVD's. Haven't since I marched. I have never been to finals except when I marched. I wouldn't go unless it was under 6hrs from home. I doubt it ever will be again.

I am an annual Fan Network subscriber and I would be willing to pay $30-$50 more to be able to see finals.

Without seeing the contract, I'd guess it would. An expired contract wouldn't have any power unless there were provisions for future broadcasts....the question is WHERE? PBS ain't gonna take it back. i can't think of an network big enough to be worth the cost to buy airtime....

I'm not talking about TV coverage. Going under the assumption that the ESPN contract prevents DCI from broadcasting Finals on ANY VENUE (like the Fan Network, for example), does DCI have plans to broadcast Finals in some form on the Fan Network once that contract expires?

</B>

I completely disagree with this. If a free broadcast didn't hurt attendance in the past, why are you so convinced something like a $10 one would now? I think you're talking about two different customer bases here--I think it's ridiculous to assume that a sizeable number of people who would otherwise be willing to travel to Indy, pay for a hotel, then pay for a more expensive ticket would then blow all of that off to settle for a cheaper, online experience. They are two completely different mind-sets/customer bases and I guarantee you that offering the lower priced online alternative won't significantly affect ticket sales. (Like I've already said, attendance numbers were fine even with the live--free--TV broadcast.)

Lots of reasons it's not the same. Why would you assume that the business models that drove DCI back in 1975-1980 would still work the same way today, when very little else about DCI and home theater media is the same as 1975-1980?

Back in the late 70s when top 12 were shown live, most people going to championships spent very little money to travel there, stayed in inexpensive motels, got their tickets to sit in college stadia (OK, also the original Mile High and Olympic Stadium, but not corporate-suite NFL and college stadia) for $10-25, and could get a hot dog and a Coke in the stadium for a buck-- it was not a trip that had most families thinking of it as a big vacation expense. Not true now. In the 1970s, drum corps was also a much less expensive product to put on the road and on the field, and so the whole profit-and-loss structure from DCI's end was very different (hence the lower prices). Back then, people could not for the most part make and keep a recording of the broadcast show (though they could later buy LP records for $8 a pop; there were no home videos even later), so they watched standard definition color TV on screen sizes 19"-27" and listened to the corps sound picked up by two midfield mikes through cheap, tinny TV speakers-- it was not a home theater event. So the bang-for-the-buck equation worked totally differently. And it was not nearly as niche an activity as it is today. The ratio of VFW folks to corps alumni to serious music fans was totally different than now.

Edited by Peel Paint