Dynasty Drums still sound like crap

Ok, so I had the pleasure of watching both SCV on July 3rd and BD July 4th. SCV obviously uses Pearl while BD inexpicably changed from Yamaha to Dynasty awhile back.

The SCV drums sounded sweet. Snares were nice without sounding thin. Tenors had a nice mellow sound to them and the base drums were very articulate without sounding muffled. Now BD's drums....I didn't even think it was BD when I was walking up. THought it was a lower tier corps...that's how bad they sounded (the drums, not the playing). If Scot Johnson can't get a drum to sound good, then nothing is going to work. Snares sounded thin and empty. Terrible, IMHO, really. Tenors sounded mediocre and bass drums were "meh."

I am assuming that SJ is sponsored by Dynasty, and that's why they use them. I can't think of any other reason.

God, I hate those drums with a passion. I was just reminded how much again on July 4th.

Is it the drums or am I simply on crack?

Ok, so I had the pleasure of watching both SCV on July 3rd and BD July 4th. SCV obviously uses Pearl while BD inexpicably changed from Yamaha to Dynasty awhile back.

The SCV drums sounded sweet. Snares were nice without sounding thin. Tenors had a nice mellow sound to them and the base drums were very articulate without sounding muffled. Now BD's drums....I didn't even think it was BD when I was walking up. THought it was a lower tier corps...that's how bad they sounded (the drums, not the playing). If Scot Johnson can't get a drum to sound good, then nothing is going to work. Snares sounded thin and empty. Terrible, IMHO, really. Tenors sounded mediocre and bass drums were "meh."

I am assuming that SJ is sponsored by Dynasty, and that's why they use them. I can't think of any other reason.

God, I hate those drums with a passion. I was just reminded how much again on July 4th.

Is it the drums or am I simply on crack?

You're not on crack....Pearl drums are sweet!!!!

im pretty sure that BD is on dynasty drums, because using dynasty drums was a condition to getting Bb horns from dynasty on the cheap. see also "cadets, the" and "yamaha."

If that's the case, I don't know if it was worth the price of entry. Yuck.

To this day, Phantom Regiment has been the only corps to make Dynasty's sound good. They're still not as good as the Pearls they used to have, but at least they've gotten close. A lot of credit should go to Rennick and his crew for making the best out of their equipment.

I've always preferred to hear pearl any day.

I agree that Dynasty drums are bad sounding, but modern Ludwig marching drums are maybe worse. I love the sound of Pearls (see avatar) and Yamaha drums sound pretty good as well. Something is just really weird about the bass drums from Dynasty. They just have this weird lack of depth to me. I can almost always tell if a bass being used is a Pearl because of the good quality of sound that most put out, especially the bottom bass.