Drum Corps in Weddings

This happened at a wedding this last weekend. A bunch of old SCV drummers put together a battery to play for a snare drummer's wedding. 7 snares, two tenors, and a bass drummer. It was a great way to bring drum corps to the wedding. The groom grabbed some sticks and played with the line. Good times.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mav?

Christian Mavroudis had some great drum corps music for her ceremony. But instead of the drum corps recordings, she used the original source music. I have a copy ofthe CD she and Ed made for the ceremony, and then gave copies to friends and family.

When my lovely bride and I got married almost 6 years ago, we did it in 4 1/2 hours one night. (You can do that in Vegas.) Though we didn't personally select the music, the chapel chose "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera (SCV 88/89), and "Through the Eyes of Love" from Ice Castles (Scouts 80-82). Conicidence? I think not!

BTW, the (now closed) motel next door was called "Casa Malaga".

Garry in Vegas

What....you didn't pick something from Jan's ageout show? "March to the Scaffold" perhaps??

*ducks and runs*

I used Canon in D to bring Sandy down the aisle....

We had a Blue Devil soloist perform at the ceremony. Oh, and a VK cake at the reception. That was about as drum corps as it got.

I've wondered about that 2003 PR arrangement of Canon since...well...2003. Found it on iTunes with you guys' info. I appreciate that, you've made a terrible day just a tad brighter. I knew there was a reason I started reading and posting here this summer!

Now, if someone can just hook me up with the original of the full Autumn Leaves arrangement from old Coats shows, that'd be awesome. I Emailed the director in the early days of AOL, and he told me it was by, I think Stan Mark or Stan Marks, but it was virtually unavailable. Surely, that's not true anymore. It took forever, but I found all the Scouts Don Ellis stuff, so, I can't give up hope for Autumn Leaves!

THANKS!

What....you didn't pick something from Jan's ageout show? "March to the Scaffold" perhaps??

*ducks and runs*

I used Canon in D to bring Sandy down the aisle....

Re-read the post, Sam. We didn't ask, nor were we asked, what music we wanted. It was just coincidence that we got two drum corps-related songs. Besides, would you want to walk the recession to "1812 Overture"? Or "The Enemy God and Dance of the Spirits of Darkness" (from Scythian Suite)?

Garry in Vegas

Re-read the post, Sam. We didn't ask, nor were we asked, what music we wanted. It was just coincidence that we got two drum corps-related songs. Besides, would you want to walk the recession to "1812 Overture"? Or "The Enemy God and Dance of the Spirits of Darkness" (from Scythian Suite)?

Garry in Vegas

It'd sure beat the last bit of Medea!!! :devil:

My wife and I wanted "Softly as I Leave You" played at our wedding, but the wedding coordinator didn't think it was a good song for a wedding.

If I ever get married and my wedding Coordinator (If I have one) says no to something... I'd smack them. It's our wedding not theirs.

Dude: Madison's "Never Walk Alone!" Either their vocal version or the hornline version (there's a great recording c. 1979 on G horns available... )

I'd want to play that as we left because we'd never walk alone again. (corny, I know)

SCV's Adagio for Strings would sound awesome at a wedding.

I once played a wedding gig for a man that had marched in a drum corps (I don't remember which corps). He composed the music we were asked to play. What was peculiar was the fact that he specifically asked for "two euphoniums and two baritones" as part of his instrumentation. I happened to own a marching baritone, but nobody else did.... so we ended up bringing two concert euphoniums and two concert baritones. Of course, the baritones we found were in terrible condition, so the two of us that brought baritones also brought our euphoniums. When we arrived, we asked him if we could just all play euphonium,

"It's going to sound better... trust us!"

"Oh, okay that's fine. I'm a drummer, so I don't really know the difference. I was just thinking of drum corps instrumentation when I composed the music."

haha!

(Just to be clear, he wrote for two trumpets, two french horns, two baritones, two euphoniums, and a tuba.)

But here comes the really funny part.... since he was a drummer, he apparently thought that the more rhythmically complex his piece was, the better it would be. So he hands us his composition, which is filled with 7/16, 12/16, 11/8, and 5/32 meters. Now, we were all classically trained musicians, so this wouldn't have been too much of a challenge.... except that he hired a "family friend" to conduct us. This "family friend" had a hard enough time switching between 4/4 and 3/4 meters in his conducting patterns, much less the complex mess that he had handed us. Eventually, the family friend gave up in frustration, and the gentleman getting married ended up having to conduct us himself as his wife marched down the aisle.

LOL