Be Careful

Honestly, I think the bigger issue is with an IP system that was created long before the Internet and the burden of defining "fair use" is placed on the little guy who has no legal power against mega corporations.

I'd say big guy or little, everyone's work deserves equal protection under the law. IP works to protect little guys' works sometimes too.

Thought you've got a point with the law needing to catch up to the internet. What would you suggest?

Edited by octavia9299

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say big guy or little, everyone's work deserves equal protection under the law. IP works to protect little guys' works sometimes too.

Thought you've got a point with the law needing to catch up to the internet. What would you suggest?

One problem is that it hasnt caught up with the modern age. Another problem is that copyright and IP protection has been extended far further than it was ever originally intended in both scope and in duration. I want to say the oringinal copyright length was around 20 years, not the rediculous lengths its at now. This has been pushed farther and farther by the big media companies that have the money to throw around towards congress to get these kinds of laws passed.

Edited by alarson83

Be Careful when uploading videos onto that one website that we aren't supposed to mention on here. I uploaded a few harmless rehearsal videos that I thought would be no problem and "the tube" fired back and deleted my account: all 70 (other) videos and friends, subscribers and favorited videos.

BE CAREFUL! They won't warn you if you violate a copyright issue, they'll just zap your account like its meaningless. I learned the very hard way and am now trying to figure out what to do. :( :( :( Hundreds of hours of work gone just like that. Its really frustrating.

My professional suggestion is don't use a FREE site to upload content.

Be Careful when uploading videos onto that one website that we aren't supposed to mention on here. I uploaded a few harmless rehearsal videos that I thought would be no problem and "the tube" fired back and deleted my account: all 70 (other) videos and friends, subscribers and favorited videos.

BE CAREFUL! They won't warn you if you violate a copyright issue, they'll just zap your account like its meaningless. I learned the very hard way and am now trying to figure out what to do. :( :( :( Hundreds of hours of work gone just like that. Its really frustrating.

Under the DMCA you're supposed to be able to file a counter claim. Good luck on that. ;-)

Creators are usually paid through ASCAP, BMI or a handful of other licensing agreements. Bands (the four piece guitar, bass and drums variety) perform copyrighted works (covers) at bars or venues and the venue must have a license for public performance of the copyrighted works. Recently BMI and ASCAP have been going after venues and that has caused some to stop having live bands perform. There's been a lot of discussion on this on the guitar forums. I'm not sure if DCI would have the agreement with these organizations or if they would need to ensure that the venue where the performances occur would need to have purchased the performance licenses. It could be as part of this agreement that there is a provision for any recordings of the performances. I'm not sure and I am unable to find a statement on dci.org regarding this. I completely understand them going after performance recordings, but when they go after parking lot warm-ups -- that's when they lose me.

I agree with that, and we've said before, and I agree, DCI and corps could do a lot better job of getting this material out and selling it. The demand is there, and if they don't supply it, others will.

I've got 20 videos on there and I'm trying to be careful what I put on their, but I'm also trying to have the videos be good. I have a lot from past years (because they generally don't look at past years), but I have some from this year, like an encore for example. The only other thing from this year is a really short snippet from a show when the judge threw a dropped drumstick back to a member. I highly doubt that would be cause for complaint, it being 30 seconds long or so. But yeah, it sucks. I know someone who had hundreds of videos, a good amount of subscribers, and without warning his account was suddenly deleted. He was not happy at all.

Thats awsome, a cool judge for once, most judges I meet in our high school comp. are jerks. no offense to any of you who do it.

It doesn't matter where, when or how you got the video of copyrighted material. You are distributed copyrighted material without permission of the holder of the copyright. Please don't confuse "public" school or open rehearsals with any kind of legal free pass. It ain't so.

...and maybe we should also say if we're attorneys or not while we're giving people advice. Just because someone say the word "copyright" doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. I'll ask my S.O. but it may take a while to get an answer.

Ahhh, this must be why I can't find certain videos like Star '91 anymore. They'd been up for years and are suddenly gone. What's weird is I don't see how rehearsal video could be considered copyrightable given that it's usually in a public place.

Ahhh, this must be why I can't find certain videos like Star '91 anymore. They'd been up for years and are suddenly gone. What's weird is I don't see how rehearsal video could be considered copyrightable given that it's usually in a public place.

This was answered a few posts back. It's not about where the CORPS performs -- the lot, the field, rehearsal, wherever -- it's about the SOURCE MATERIAL and whether someone paid THE ORIGINAL COMPOSER for the proper license to distribute in the chosen manner.