What has happened to the U.S. Open, in Marion, OH

• 3 weeks later...

I agree - Marion; the city, the people, the contest (we called them that, then) was truly a magnificent moment of the summer. The scores from the finals?

1 Blue Rock 84.600

2 Madison Scouts 83.150

3 DeLaSalle Oaklands 82.150

4 Cavaliers 81.550

5 Des Plaines Vanguard 77.750

6 St. Rita's Brassmen 77.450

7 St. Joseph's of Batavia 75.950

8 Bridgemen 73.200

9 Nisei Ambassadors 73.100

10 Beverly Cardinals 72.950

11 Appleknockers 70.250

12 Milford Shoreliners 67.850

What a time!

Puppet

Standing next to St. Joe's during retreat was a trip.

How so?

I do not imagine they took getting beaten by another NYS corps (Brassmen) lightly. That is something I almost never saw happen in the six seasons that I competed against them.

I do not imagine they took getting beaten by another NYS corps (Brassmen) lightly. That is something I almost never saw happen in the six seasons that I competed against them.

Wasn't their closest competition in NY State the Magnificent Yankees? ... I'm not sure if the NY Kingsmen thumped them a few times during the 66-68 time period ... the Brassmen were certainly a powerhouse during their 69-73 run ... prior to that (when they were St. Joe's Patron Cadets) they were definitely on the rise in 67-68 ...

:-)

Mag Yankees beat the NY Kingsmen several times in 66. Batavia also would beat them. They didn't see Batavia much in 66 though, think twice. 67 was different. Think they beat Mag Y's twice in 67, but not Batavia at all. NY Am. Legion States was difficult to beat Batavia.

Long ago, so I might be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

The Kingsmen did beat St. Joe's once in 1967 prior to State Legion at Buffalo. This certainly added drama to the match up at Buffalo and MSJ seemed on edge that AM as they rehearsed on the next field over from my corps. Joe's prevailed in the championships, however. I do not recall there being prelims and finals, just one show. Something strange happened on the Fleetwood recording. It was almost like someone turned the microphone level down on the Kingsmen as if to justify Joe's victory for posterity. I was there in person and what I heard was nothing like the recording. I still have sweet memories of the impact from the Kingsmen's euphoniums as they turned into the stands during the triplets in Maleguena. It was like being pelted in the face!

"St Joe's vs NY Kingsmen 1967":

CorpsReps has Kingsmen winning over St Joseph's at Blue Rocks show in late May of 1967. Kingsmen appeared to be on atear for the first few weeks of that season winning several big shows against some "Name" junior corps.

I remember the "Bronx" Kingsmen as the old "Irwin Post" Kingsmen up to 1966, when they underwent a HUGE makeover into the Spanish themed powerhouse. That hornline was incredible.

Elphaba

• Like 1