What has happened to the U.S. Open, in Marion, OH

• 5 months later...

1975 US Open Class A/All Girl prelims had 44 corps (2 no shows) and started at 7:30am on Thursday.  1975 US Open also had 26 open (World class) corps in prelims including that year's DCI Champion Madison Scouts.  Other than DCI Championship Prelims (76 corps), this was by far the largest Drum Corps show (70 corps) in the US or Canada in 1975.   Three full days of drum corps performances.

I consider 1975-1986 to be the Golden Age of drum corps.  1987-2000 would be the Silver Age of Drum Corps.  I base this on the activity's health, innovations, and popularity.  The US Open was a bellwether for the growth and wane  of the Drum Corps activity.

I think going back a bit farther to 1971 as the start of the Golden Age. 1972 was an amazing US Open in all 3 classes!!!!

I guess each one of us has their own Golden Age ... mine happens to be around 1962 to the mid-70's ... all depends on ones perspective ...

Yes ... I know ... the first US Open was in 1968 ... great addition to the National competitions ... right in the middle of my Golden Age ... I think St Lucy's won the Prelims and Blue Rock the Finals ... maybe someone could post the scores ... 🙂

Edited by ajlisko