Drums Along the Rockies: Windsor Edition

O.K., here we go, I've gotten some sleep and am ready to write.

So where I left off, Scouts finished their show and we are going into intermission.

INT was good, it gave us a chance to stretch and mingle a bit. I met a couple guys sitting behind

us that were Corps alumi...Frank was a recent Colts age-out...2006 I beleive

and Jim marched with Phantom and Cavaliers...79-81. It was good getting their

perspective on things. So far they felt Colts were the strongest.

On to the first Corps after INT...The Bluecoats. I like the lone Guard guy with the Derby holding the Red Umrella,

ala a Rene Magritte Painting like - "Decalcomania" or "The Son of Man" to start the show. Nice Intro.

Love the Charles Mingus opener, "Childrens' Hour of Dreaming" - very powerful and dark. Similar to

the 96 Blue Devils version, but heavier in the low brass department. Wow, what an exciting opener! Forms are

hard to see at this low seating level, but boy are they moving! Contras are spot on in short feature...very smooth and

are projecting well. Slight phasing between Pit and Trumpets/Mellos to start off the second piece, quick recovery though.

Color Guard is performing REALLY well as an ensemble and generates alot of excitment and GE! Very nice silks - Gold,

Orange and Rust colored with black stripes - very beautiful and when spun together, very striking. Another great

ballad - good air support and nice controlled ensemble sound. Coming out of that into the closer...drums are

grooving...nice body movements. I don't know if I've seen a drumline do such extensive dance moves

while playing...and wow, are they playing. They've taken off their jackets to reveal really cool

looking multi-colored blue and white tops, similar to what the guard wears. Hornline kicks in...WOW, they are JAMMING!

LOVE IT! Man, I haven't hear a Corps swing like this since the 90s...DANG, what a CLOSER! Reminds me a little

of "Everybody Loves the Blues" from 83 BD! The Horns have now also removed jackets and have same

multi-colored top. Color Guard is unreal...best guard so far. Strong closer...everyone is "Blooo-ing" as they leave the feild.

This is easily my favorite Bluecoats show since the late 80s. WOW! Madison needs to play closers like that again!

Next up, The Cavaliers. It is apparent to me that Drew Shoenfield is back as Brass arranger for this Corps.

Big powerful opening statement with nothing being held back. Forget about finess, they open up and let you have it!

Trumpets are very clean in the melody/counter melody here. Love the mountaineers with ropes. Wow! great ripple

of rifle tosses from left to right leading to huge flag toss! Tuba feature up front was solid...oops, slightly out of breath

on last two notes. I'm sure that won't happen again! Rifles are TIGHT! Someone in the Pit yells out Hellooooo....echos

from the backfield - cool effect. Ah there we go...teh classic Tuba ripple where they throw the horn over the shoulder while

snapping backfield and back around to the front...I always love that move. Nice Blue/Copper colored silks.

Awesome horn swell to one of those great releases that you hear ring out forever after the cut-off! "On the Great Divide

is nice. Love how they bring back the repeating brass motif from the beginning of the show as they build

up to the end. Great Closer...they are moving at crazy speeds...looks a bit dirty right now but I know

they will clean this show by the end. This is a very entertaining show for the Cavs, alot of melody and great percussion.

The guard really sells the Adventurous Mountaineer very well!

Finally, the Blue Knights. Guard looks like Snow Bunnies waiting to get into the lift line at Vail. They are always

fun to watch.Nice wind/Snow effectd coming from the Pit - a little loud at first. Horns come in. WOW... D$$$ they are

Loud and get even louder as they hold out the opening chord! Great melodies being played...love the Mello runs.

Snares are tight! Great visual effects...looks like snow is blowing from left to right over the horns.

I am digging this show...guard has orange ski poles...nice! MAN these guys are for real! Closer is awesome.

Repeats a building chord similar to the begvinning LOUD, LOUDER, LOUDEST! And clean,,,very clean. OK,,,I have to

say the Blue Knights are the surprise of the night! This is easily their best Corps ever in my opinion. I can't speak

for visual because I was sitting so low, but this show is firing on all cylinders at this point! I don't know where

they will end up at the end of the season, but Bravo Blue Knights for pulling out a great, entertaining show!

So that wraps it up. Tonight is Drums Along the Rockies at Invesco Field....I will be sitting up

in the Nose Bleed section - 50 yard line. I will write another review, probably focusing on visual.

We'll see what happens. BD and SCV will be there. Should be exciting!

Thanks for the Review Jeff, outstanding job.... Your depth in the description of each of the shows is astounding! I'm super excited to see all the shows and especially BK... Thanks for the review man!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Jeff...BRAVO MY FRIEND....great review...I like the play-by-play vibe of it. Great job!!

Now get back to painting.