Judges getting hurt

When I marched judges were open game. If you hit one (not intentionally) it was good for 10 bucks. Hey, it was still our field and we had the right of way. If a judge happened to get in it, well that was just too bad. The only thing that put them in a twist was making changes in the drill design without telling them about it beforehand.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched judges were open game. If you hit one (not intentionally) it was good for 10 bucks. Hey, it was still our field and we had the right of way. If a judge happened to get in it, well that was just too bad. The only thing that put them in a twist was making changes in the drill design without telling them about it beforehand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it like ice hockey where the referees are technically a part of the ice? (or turf/grass in this case?) There are times where they just get caught in the middle and have to dive out of the way of a member/group of members but most of the time they should be in little danger of being hit.

Probably just a urban myth, but I heard that Madison was involved with two judge fatalities back in the day. One the result of a rifle strike and the other was a heart attack (captured on the judges tape in the box).

Any validity to these?

From the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame:

ROBERT JACOBS

Robert "Bobby" Jacobs played in the percussion section of the Reilly Raiders prior to taking over as Captain of the Color Guard from 1946 to 1953. Bob assisted in the formation of the National Judges Association in 1960 with Windy Wildemore and others and Judged with the organization until his passing in 1980. Bob suffered a heart attack while judging on the field at a DCI show in West Chester, Pa and unfortunately died that night

I was there that night...Madison had taken the field and was just about to start their show when the judge collapsed in front of the corps. The ambulance that was standing by came right over. After a few minutes, the Scouts left the field, and the announcer said that the show would resume in something like 15 or 30 minutes. I remember that the little kid behind me let out a loud BOO, and his dad slapped him in the head.

We found out later that night that Mr. Jacobs had passed away.

I swear, sometimes, I think they deserve to get knocked over. They should have watched the show enough to know where to be and where not to be. It makes me angry when they are in the way and almost cause a member to fall. Case in point, if you watch the Cadets finals 2000 video at the end of "chaos" after the gates, there was a mellophone player who almost tripped and fell because as he was backing up, he backed into the drum judge. Luckily it wasn't that noticeable, but just imagine if they guy had fallen.

The assumption that just watching the show enough would avoid collisions is not likely. Every judge will see every show for a first time, and every change made by the corps starts the cycle over.

As a fairly long-time instructor, I (and most of my peers) have been clocked more than a few times, and we know what's coming [well, most of the time]. The job, for judges as well, is to get different perspectives on different runs, and it is almost impossible not to become tunnel-visioned at some point. You try to avoid it, but it happens, you take your lumps, apologize if there is an opportunity, and move on.

I swear, sometimes, I think they deserve to get knocked over. They should have watched the show enough to know where to be and where not to be. It makes me angry when they are in the way and almost cause a member to fall. Case in point, if you watch the Cadets finals 2000 video at the end of "chaos" after the gates, there was a mellophone player who almost tripped and fell because as he was backing up, he backed into the drum judge. Luckily it wasn't that noticeable, but just imagine if they guy had fallen.

The assumption that just watching the show enough would avoid collisions is not likely. Every judge will see every show for a first time, and every change made by the corps starts the cycle over.

As a fairly long-time instructor, I (and most of my peers) have been clocked more than a few times, and we know what's coming [well, most of the time]. The job, for judges as well, is to get different perspectives on different runs, and it is almost impossible not to become tunnel-visioned at some point. You try to avoid it, but it happens, you take your lumps, apologize if there is an opportunity, and move on.

I still feel it is unacceptable. This is a competition. I don't want to see any of the marching members fall during a performance. I think it's unacceptable for a judge to be in the way.