San Antonio, Texas!

I would just like to take this opportunity to take full credit for Troop making top 12. While in my closet this morning as I was choosing my attire for the day, destiny was calling as I reached in and pulled out my Troop tshirt. The power of my shirt traveled several hundred miles to the southwest to propel Americas Corps to victory tonight!!! :shutup:

Congrats Troopers!!! Keep up the good work!

Excellent. You must never wash it and were it every show day from now until finals night!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the commentary was very interesting, and I'm glad they provided this year, especially for shows like Phantom and Crown and Vanguard with stuff tat I wouldn't have caught otherwise. But wouldn't it be cool to have a show where the designer just said, "Alright, just enjoy some great music and drill" and had nothing left to say? Like, imagine a designer giving commentary on the Blue Devil 1983 show. "OK, so here's where we play T.O., and now we're playing Everybody Loves the Blues...and at this part we're playing One More Time, Chuck Corea."

I thought the commentary was very interesting, and I'm glad they provided this year, especially for shows like Phantom and Crown and Vanguard with stuff tat I wouldn't have caught otherwise. But wouldn't it be cool to have a show where the designer just said, "Alright, just enjoy some great music and drill" and had nothing left to say? Like, imagine a designer giving commentary on the Blue Devil 1983 show. "OK, so here's where we play T.O., and now we're playing Everybody Loves the Blues...and at this part we're playing One More Time, Chuck Corea."

I also think it would be cool to get a judges' commentary...perhaps one that is not judging that night???? Just an idea someone mentioned in another post ...

I would take woodwinds before seeing the Trooper's DM walk quickly to awards.

what if he has to go to the bathroom? Does he walk just a little faster?

HNC will outscore Cavies.

Boston will outscore both Phantom and Blue Stars

Glassmen will outscore Blue knights .

Form the "predictions thread yesterday...#1 was awfully close #2 should have happened...Great show by BAC....#3 right as rain, good job Gmen.

That would be the most boring commentary ever. What would be the point?

That would be the most boring commentary ever. What would be the point?

But it would be the most exciting show ever (like that BD show from that year). The point is that, what ever happened to shows that didn't have a deeper meaning like that? There's only limited resources a designer has in a show to allocate to music performance, visual performance, and meaning...the more you allocate to the meaning of the show, the less you allocate to the music. I'm saying, wouldn't it be cool to see show like that where that's all the designer could say for commentary, because that's how the show was designed. I'm not saying every show should be like that, but it would be cool to see six shows at finals with some sort of deeper meaning or theme, and six shows without.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Right. It was stupid then, and it's stupid now.
A little clarification is needed here. To you it was stupid.
How about if Troopers adopt a tradition of excellence, instead of a tradition of slowness?
Adopt? So pushing for finals only a couple years after going inactive isn't enough for you? Some people are never satisfied I guess.

I think my problem with some of the commentary is the idea that it will 'help' people understand the theme.

This is drum corps. If people can't understand your theme because of what you've done on the field, the design team's failed, and no amount of Fan Network commentary is going to save the show.

Some of the commentary was great, though.

But it would be the most exciting show ever (like that BD show from that year). The point is that, what ever happened to shows that didn't have a deeper meaning like that? There's only limited resources a designer has in a show to allocate to music performance, visual performance, and meaning...the more you allocate to the meaning of the show, the less you allocate to the music. I'm saying, wouldn't it be cool to see show like that where that's all the designer could say for commentary, because that's how the show was designed. I'm not saying every show should be like that, but it would be cool to see six shows at finals with some sort of deeper meaning or theme, and six shows without.

Then just ignore the theme?

Corps are still going out and playing songs, so if you don't like themes then why not just pretend that they don't exist?