Drums Along the Rockies - 7/11/09

I really enjoyed myself at the show last night, and I honestly enjoyed every single corps! I think it is great that even the more developing world class corps are able to entertain fans on the same level that the upper-tiered corps do. Overall, a great night!

The Cascades

I must say, for an organization that didn't field a corps in 2008, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this group. I had a chance to see their hornline in the lot warm up for a few minutes, and I believe I counted around 40-45 horns. On the field, I think the corps is doing a great job in terms of working with what they have to put the best product out there, in all aspects- guard, percussion, and horns. I can tell that everyone is working hard. The problem at this point with the Cascades seems to just be a matter of details, and refinement, but this is such a hard thing to balance in terms of such a small corps. Clearly the kids can play well, as was displayed for me last night, but it's a matter of control and balance in the hornline, not overplaying in the percussion section, and being precise with the guardwork/dance work. I really appreciate what the guard was doing last night and you can tell that the members of the guard are REALLY enjoying themselves, but they really need to just clean up the little things- release points, hand placements, planes, etc. In terms of drill from the whole corps overall, I like what they are doing, but it kind of fits into the same boat: REFINEMENT. The key for this corps at this point is to just not let anything that is under their standards be acceptable. Overall, however, I was really pleased. A FABULOUS corps to open the night, and I'm so glad to see them on the field!

The Mandarins

I was immediately impressed with the Mandarins. The cool thing about this corps from what I saw last night is the fact that every section is strong as a section, and could "stand alone" when featured, but knew how to fit into the big picture, if that makes sense. I was pleasantly surprised with the hornline from the very beginning, and I think that once the performers just keep working on their endurance throughout the whole show, they will really shine. I felt as if they lost some steam in the middle and it was an uphill battle to the end. But still... great work so far. Their percussion seemed rather strong, which is great. I really appreciated what their front ensemble was playing, and how it interacted with the battery parts. Their guard was good as well, but I feel as if they need the same kind of work that the Cascades' guard needs- refinement. I feel as if the Mandarins were a big culprit of what I call "design ADD". In the middle of the show, their guard pulls out mattresses (I imagine they are aero-beds) and incorporates them into the show for about one minute. I didn't really get was this was doing? Maybe I just missed what their design intent was, but I didn't connect with this. And then at the end, they pull out these HUGE gorgeous flags, and use them for maybe 30 seconds, 20 of those seconds being them running to their spot. Sometimes I feel as if corps try to just throw in as much as possible thinking it will help them with GE, but it really just takes away from the whole picture, since they never really allow for one concept to settle in as much as it should/could. Overall I seriously enjoyed this corps, and think that once they just keep cleaning and get used to pushing through a whole show, they will do even better. However, I do think that a lot of design stuff is holding them back at this point.

The Troopers

What a great performance opportunity for the Troopers! As someone that has lived in Colorado all his life (well... that's still only 19 years, but whatever! ;) ), I think many people consider this the Troopers' show as much as the Blue Knights' show! Anyways, I think it is clear to say that this corps is above any other Troopers corps in the immediate past, which is a great thing. I felt the "vibe of the show" from the whole corps from the very beginning, and this helped keep my interest the whole time. HOWEVER, I feel as if their presence overall paled in comparison to the Scouts and the Colts. Though they were "vibing" in terms of the show theme, I feel like their presence overall wasn't as good- could this because of how they carry their bodies? Their hornline is very strong, and they play very well together. Every so often a few people from each section stick out, but I think this is something that will get resolved by the time August rolls around. The main problem with the hornline right now is not losing steam before the end of the show. I'm not sure if that is a problem with the composition for the horns, but I just feel that it is MISSING something in the last minute or so of the performance. Either way, this hornline should be proud of what they are doing. I enjoyed the percussion and think that the battery is doing a great job of keeping the corps together. They are very present with what they are doing, yet still play with a nice sense of dynamics. Their front ensemble lost me, to be entirely honest. I'm not sure if that is a matter of where I was sitting or how they were playing, or WHAT they were playing, but I just found myself halfway through the show not even noticing the front ensemble. I am hoping that as we go into the rest of the middle of the season, and then the final stretch, that those players just keep getting used to playing in this setting, and can become more PRESENT. In terms of the guard, this guard should feel nothing but PROUD. Seeing the guard that this corps fielded in 07/08 compared to now is night and day. I am so proud of those performers! Not only are they fielding a guard that is bigger, they are fielding a guard that truly helps captivate the audience and helps portray the theme of the show. All in all, a great showing by the Troopers.

The Colts

What an opening statement. I have been a fan of the Colts for a long time, and I must say that I do enjoy this show. I think their talent level is INCREDIBLY high. Their hornline plays extremely well together and individually. It seems like, for the most part, every section knows when they need to be the "main character", compared to when they need to be the "supporting character"- this is something that can be easily missed in a corps. I think this hornline will be something special once they clean up the standard aspects of playing- tonguing, dynamics, entrances, etc etc. Their guard has always been strong, I feel, and this year is no different. They do a great job of portraying the "at sea" feel and really perform up to the top box. I think this is another case of the "refinement" category, where they really just need to take the time to refine everything that has been given to them, especially in terms of the rifle work. Their percussion, both battery and front ensemble, is very nice, but I seem to lose them at the lower dynamics. Though a lower dynamic is more soft, that doesn't mean any less "strong", or and less intent, and this percussion section will be more versatile when they fully grasp the concept of playing at different levels. Overall, I think the ability of the members of the Colts is VERY VERY GOOD, but I feel that it is the design that is holding them back. In terms of drill, all of their sets seem to be at the same interval, and many of their impact points/main playing moments are in stand-still sets. I think this corps this year is another culprit of "design ADD". The guard pulls out these huge flags that represent a sail on a boat, or waves, or the sun. These flags stay out for MAYBE fifteen seconds, then are tossed to the side. VERY frustrating from an audience standpoint. What are those for? Why did you tease me with them, and then not do much with them?! Aah! I really have a lot of respect for these performers and what they do, but I feel like it truly is their design that is holding them back.

The Madison Scouts

I was so excited to see this show. This is one of the few shows I am not too familiar with this season because they don't show much on the Fan Network. Their presence coming onto the field was one of the best that I saw all night, and for me, that grabbed me from the beginning. Their hornline overall seemed very strong. A nice sound was put out most of the time, and the times that there was some slight overblowing I think will be cleaned up soon, I hope. Articulations/style seemed quite nice for this point in the season, ESPECIALLY from the trumpets. Some extremely nice double tonguing portions were really effective, and enjoying to hear. I think the Scouts' main problem is visual. Frankly, there were some sets that just were not clean. At times I felt like their lines were straight from front to back, but from side to side/down the diagonal, they were extremely dirty, especially for this time of the season. Their guard was good, but a lot of times there were problems/errors that were real shocking to see from a corps with such historically strong guard. This corps can go far, once they clean up their visual program and guard program. I honestly feel like the design is great and the design isn't holding them back, but it is hard for the design to be seen/portrayed when the execution isn't up to par.

The Santa Clara Vanguard

I was so so so so so excited to see this show. Having seen all the videos on the Fan Network, it was finally great to see it live. I am extremely familiar with this show because of the Fan Network so I wasn't very surprised at anything that they did, but I still loved it nonetheless. It is really hard for me to point out what can improve in this performance because I think everything was done very very very very well, and it is just a matter of cleaning. This was such a great show to watch visually- I do enjoy the drill, and love all the little "inserts" of ballet. Sometimes I feel like the dance they are trying to do is a bit... robotic, but I still enjoyed it. This hornline is incredible, and should be extremely pleased with their dynamics, sense of style, and overall presence, ESPECIALLY at the low ends of their instrument range, and dynamics. The percussion played together well, especially from front to back (front ensemble to battery), and really shined during their exposed moments. This is such a percussive show, it seems, and I like it. This guard is incredible in all aspects, flag, weapon, DANCE. If there is one thing that will hold this guard back, it is the fact that they dance more than spin. In MY opinion, that is OK. The show is titled "Ballet for Martha". What they are doing fits the theme. Isn't that what we ask for every year? Hmmm.... Do I think this program has what it takes to medal? Yes. Do I think this program has what it takes to WIN? .................. Yes. But I think the people that will make that decision need to view this program as what it is- Ballet for Martha. Just because it is a completely different show than we are used to seeing doesn't mean it is WRONG. The Santa Clara Vanguard is taking a risk, and I think they should be rewarded for it. This show perplexes me. I like that.

The Bluecoats

I had heard a lot about this show, and was really interested to see it live- FINALLY. I think the concept is very original and really could go either way in terms of working, or not working. To start, I have been a big fan of this brassline for the past few years. I think They have consistently getting better/more solid each year, and this year is no different. I think the thing that fascinates me the most is that each section seems to have it's own balance in itself, and this balance fits into the overall balance of the hornline. Makes for a VERY interesting sound- a sound that I like! However, I did get some individuals sticking out every so often (specifically in the upper voices), and I heard some overblowing sometimes, specifically in the lower voices. As long as the staff continues to push the concept of a mature sound and an "ensemble" sound, I have no doubt that this will be fixed soon. The percussion was good, both the battery and front ensemble, and although I honestly didn't pay too much attention to them because I was really fixed on the brass and guard, I did like their dynamics and approach to playing the keyboards/drums. This guard is great! They demanded my attention and, although there still is work that needs to be done in terms of cleanliness and overall refinement of the work, I have to give them major props for demanding my attention. The design of this show is really interesting, insightful, and different, and I think that will, in the end, either help them or hurt them. "Imagine" is such a hard concept to portray through the marching arts, so I am interested in where this show will go. Right now I think they have the talent, ability, and potential to go far, but it's just a matter of whether or not the design will LET them go that far.

The Cavaliers

Man, I was surprisingly impressed with this show. Most of my review is going to talk about their music, so let me get the visual out of the way. The Cavaliers are really clean at this point, I feel, but they are doing some pretty hard stuff. I think they are right where they are usually, which is a good thing. I still feel like their backward marching style is hurting them still, since the element of the knee adds in something extra that can dirty the marching, but I think this will be clean soon, I hope. Their guard is great and really sells the concept of the show and has a great handle over their equipment. Now, on to music. I really do feel like the Cavaliers are at the point in their season where they are beginning to push the volume of their impact points, and it really showed tonight. I was extremely impressed with how they were approaching their playing in general, and they are really actually starting to compare to some of the other hornlines (Carolina Crown, Blue Devils, HNC, Phantom, Bluecoats, Santa Clara Vanguard). HOWEVER- I feel as if their concept of dynamics are "Impact points- Forte/Fortissimo" and "Music between impact points- Mezzo Forte". I feel like they need to expand more on the dynamics between their impact points in order to FULLY be effective musically. I really appreciate what they are trying to do, but just because something isn't an impact point doesn't mean it needs to stay at one volume. A show in general needs to be moving up and down consistently in dynamics, in my opinion, and an impact point is just at the top of the "upward" motion. If the Cavaliers really want to go far with this show, I think they MUST expand the canvas of their dynamics between the impact points. I could see this show being a medalist, or being as low as 5th.

The Blue Devils

This is another corps that has great on-field presence even simply getting on the field. Something so "small" like entering the field really does make a difference, in my mind, about how I watch the show. The Blue Devils were, of course, great. Every section seems to demand the attention of the audience, and this is something that makes them so fun to watch- the fact that no matter WHAT you watch, you will be pleased. I like the playing/drumming/spinning overall and thought they did a really nice job, but I just can't connect with this show. I don't know what it is, but I just feel as if... there is so much talent in this corps, but the design of the show doesn't allow for those performers to put it all together. It was hard for me, as an audience member, to feel the momentum of the show since it seemed as if a lot of their show was the corps moving from one "stage" to another, while not playing. I really respect what these performers are doing, I just don't really connect with how they are doing it. This guard is incredible, but it is not just about the guard and I feel as if the guard was the main feature of the whole show. I think it is appropriate that they are winning at this point, but come August I, personally, don't see this as a championship show.

The Blue Knights

The home team! You could definitely tell that the Blue Knights were excited to perform their home show, and that the weather held out! Their hornline is playing really well, with a number of long and sustained sections. Overall I feel like the field presence of their horns is VERY good, but the balance/blend needs to be cleaned up. I lose a lot of the alto voices in their passages so it makes for a very funny sound at times. However, they seem to be playing very technically so far, which is great. There are some double tonguing passages that are coming out extremely well. Their guard is good, but seems to be stuck in that "box 4" zone, like a bunch of others corps around them. What will set their guard apart is the LITTLE details. Right now, the big picture in terms of the guard work/dance work is coming across but it is the tiny things that are setting them back, in my opinion. Their percussion is doing well, both battery and front ensemble, and this is a good thing, after the Blue Knights Percussion Ensemble's uncharacteristic finish of 9th at WGI this past April. I'm glad they were able to build off of that. Overall, I really like what this corps is doing in terms of playing/marching/spinning, but I think that it is design that will hold them back. "Shiver: A Winter in Colorado". Now, I've lived through 19 Colorado winters (some that have been EXTREMELY cold), and I'm not pulling that theme from the show. Now, if a Colorado native can't pull it out, how can someone else? I really like the concept of this show, but I think "Shiver: A Winter in Colorado" means more than ski poles, a set designed like a snowflake, wind noises from the pit, and the guard wearing jackets. Overall, I think the design can be built upon SO much more, but regardless, at least we know that the corps itself is playing well.

So... THERE YOU GO! My thoughts. I seriously enjoyed every performance and please don't think I'm talking poorly about any corps with my comments- I'm just remarking on what I think can be improved upon. Let me know what you think!

Edited by Dylan Ford

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the great review.

I hope someone from the Colts design team reads what you wrote on them - you are bang on! Let's hope they have some drill rewrites in the next week to put them in contention for a finalist spot.

That might be the best review I've ever read by a teenager. You sure you're only 19? Great. insightful stuff.

One other question...why aren't you marching BK???? :thumbdown: From a BK alum who lives in Missouri, I can't tell you how lucky you are to have such an incredible youth organization right there in your backyard. I hope you take advantage of it in the next 2 years.

Again, great review!

Re: SCV's dance moves looking too robotic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvcP-vXk4M

Yeah, good link. Anyone who enjoys SCV's show should definitely check out the original Ballet...not the Suite version, but the complete one. Truly groundbreaking stuff. I particularly love the fire and brimstone pastor section. So gripping and emotional.

Also, Dylan, if you haven't seen this before, you should check out the DVDs on this website...

http://www.keepingscore.org/

Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony put these together...they aired on PBS a while back...the Copland episode is fantastic, and it gives you a whole new perspective on Ballet for Martha.

If you want a preview of that episode specifically, go here:

http://www.keepingscore.org/flash/copland/index.html

That might be the best review I've ever read by a teenager. You sure you're only 19? Great. insightful stuff.

One other question...why aren't you marching BK???? :thumbdown: From a BK alum who lives in Missouri, I can't tell you how lucky you are to have such an incredible youth organization right there in your backyard. I hope you take advantage of it in the next 2 years.

Again, great review!

Yeah kid if you are only 19 I am in shock!! I follow corps pretty closely. Particularly the Colts this year since my daughter marches with them and I must say.....you have given the most accurate assessment of them I have read on here yet. GO MARCH NEXT YEAR!!!! GL to you.

Great Review and Mile High Stadium was a breath-taking place to watch the show - BUT!!! - the Judges need to wake up and watch the shows and not score politically; they got it all wrong (is that why you disappear before the scores are announced?)

- Blue Devil (Best corps of the night) Amazing what you can do with a chair; Great horn line -clear winner tonight!

- Cavies (good performance but score not one point behind BD) - I thought maybe third and should have been closer in score to SCV - Hello??? (isn't that the call?)

- SCV (when are the judges going to wake up to the subtle nuances and intricacies of this amazing program!!! - this show carries you along on a gripping emotional high with each performance (Judges! Take a pause and turn around and take a look at the faces in the crowd! Are you not feeling this show?)

- BC (excellent show and great horn line - but with such beautiful uniform why take them off!)

- BK (Amazing show - Just CLEAN-CLEAN-CLEAN IT UP!)

- Troopers (while half of Wyoming showed up for this show thought Colts should have edged them) Madison should have been close as well

- Mandarins (Love your opener!!! Brought back memories (1970 SCV)

- Cascades (good to see you back)

:thumbdown:

Edited by amadorj

Great Review and Mile High Stadium was a great place to watch the show - BUT - the Judges need to wake up and watch the shows and not score politically; they got it all wrong (is that why you disappear before the scores are announced?)

- Blue Devil (Best corps of the night) Amazing what you can do with a chair; Great horn line -clear winner tonight!

- Cavies (good performance but score not one point behind BD) - I thought maybe third and should have been closer in score to SCV - Hello??? (isn't that the call?)

- SCV (when are the judges going to wake up to the subtle nuances and intricacies of this amazing program!!! - this show carries you along on a gripping emotional high with each performance (take a pause and turn around and take a look at the faces in the crowd!)

- BC (excellent show and great horn line - but with such beautiful uniform why take them off!)

- BK (Amazing show - Just CLEAN-CLEAN-CLEAN IT UP!)

- Troopers (while half of Wyoming showed up for this show thought Colts should have edged them) Madison should have been close as well

- Mandarins (Love your opener!!! Brought back memories (1972 SCV)

- Cascades (good to see you back)

:huh:

Not true. Just because Wyoming is an underappreciated state does NOT give everyone an excuse to not know how many people live within its borders. And you obviously don't know, because it was actually ALL of Wyoming that showed up.

:thumbdown:

(This post is meant to be a joke. Just fyi.)