Drums Along the Rockies - 7/11/09

OK - I wish I wrote like that when I was 19... Great review!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo! Superb and insightful review. No way in hell you're 19 (an obvious "ringer" from the NY Times Music Review section)! :thumbup: Well done!

I, of course, disagree with your assessment that BD won't make it all the way. They aren't close to finishing and when they start to have fun with it, look out....that's when BD goes to the next level.

I share your enthusiasm for SCV, they are back in a big way! Not sure if it's Feidler or simply a resolve to return to the splendor of field maneuver they made their own! Again, great review! :laughing:

I really enjoyed myself at the show last night, and I honestly enjoyed every single corps! I think it is great that even the more developing world class corps are able to entertain fans on the same level that the upper-tiered corps do. Overall, a great night!

-snip-

The Santa Clara Vanguard

I was so so so so so excited to see this show. Having seen all the videos on the Fan Network, it was finally great to see it live. I am extremely familiar with this show because of the Fan Network so I wasn't very surprised at anything that they did, but I still loved it nonetheless. It is really hard for me to point out what can improve in this performance because I think everything was done very very very very well, and it is just a matter of cleaning. This was such a great show to watch visually- I do enjoy the drill, and love all the little "inserts" of ballet. Sometimes I feel like the dance they are trying to do is a bit... robotic, but I still enjoyed it. This hornline is incredible, and should be extremely pleased with their dynamics, sense of style, and overall presence, ESPECIALLY at the low ends of their instrument range, and dynamics. The percussion played together well, especially from front to back (front ensemble to battery), and really shined during their exposed moments. This is such a percussive show, it seems, and I like it. This guard is incredible in all aspects, flag, weapon, DANCE. If there is one thing that will hold this guard back, it is the fact that they dance more than spin. In MY opinion, that is OK. The show is titled "Ballet for Martha". What they are doing fits the theme. Isn't that what we ask for every year? Hmmm.... Do I think this program has what it takes to medal? Yes. Do I think this program has what it takes to WIN? .................. Yes. But I think the people that will make that decision need to view this program as what it is- Ballet for Martha. Just because it is a completely different show than we are used to seeing doesn't mean it is WRONG. The Santa Clara Vanguard is taking a risk, and I think they should be rewarded for it. This show perplexes me. I like that.

-snip-

So... THERE YOU GO! My thoughts. I seriously enjoyed every performance and please don't think I'm talking poorly about any corps with my comments- I'm just remarking on what I think can be improved upon. Let me know what you think!

First of all, great overall review in terms of the content and being able to phrase criticism with class <--becoming more and more of a lost art, I'm afraid.

I did want to address some of my impressions, though, of what you wrote.

So, with SCV, I underlined your comment about them needing to be rewarded for taking a risk and doing things differently. I don't really think they are NOT being rewarded thus far. The justification you provide about the "ballet" aspect of the visual program is excellent justification for the colorguard, but not for the visual design as a whole. Personally, I have no problem with them not moving at break-neck speeds; I haven't ever felt that was a necessity in any program and ultimately think it is detrimental to move fast for the sake of moving fast.

The problem I DO have with their visual design is that what movement they do doesn't fully engage the audience for the entirety of the show. (Yes, I realize they scored higher in Visual GE than in Music GE, but you'll also notice that the disparity in Visual GE than in Music GE between them and The Cavaliers and Blue Devils). Until the end where they VERY effectively set up the drill in the percussion feature, the company-front, and the subsequent fade to softness afterward, they almost might as well be a regular orchestra (i.e. parked in one position). There is a wide disparity in what they are doing in the first half of the show visually and the second half. Put another way to incorporate the language your concern, I feel like they aren't risking anything in the first half of the show, which explains why they aren't being rewarded for it, but they ARE risking it in the secoind half and ARE being rewarded for it. If they create more balance between the two halves of the show, then I feel there show will be much more appreciated.

Outstanding review. I would never have guessed you were only 19 if you hadn't said so. Impressive command of the shows & how they work & need improvement. A good read, too!

Harvey

If I was a band director at a major program, I would be attempting to find out this kids contact info to stash in my BlackBerry until he graduates.

Great review.

OK - I wish I wrote like that when I was 19... Great review!

Thank you very much!

Bravo! Superb and insightful review. No way in hell you're 19 (an obvious "ringer" from the NY Times Music Review section)! :thumbup: Well done!

I, of course, disagree with your assessment that BD won't make it all the way. They aren't close to finishing and when they start to have fun with it, look out....that's when BD goes to the next level.

I share your enthusiasm for SCV, they are back in a big way! Not sure if it's Feidler or simply a resolve to return to the splendor of field maneuver they made their own! Again, great review! :laughing:

I suppose we will just have to wait and see how things turn out! But we both can agree that SCV is back, and you're right- in a big way! I'm not sure why exactly, either... if it is the new faces up top, or just the performers' desires to work as hard as they can, but either way, it's working.

First of all, great overall review in terms of the content and being able to phrase criticism with class <--becoming more and more of a lost art, I'm afraid.

I did want to address some of my impressions, though, of what you wrote.

So, with SCV, I underlined your comment about them needing to be rewarded for taking a risk and doing things differently. I don't really think they are NOT being rewarded thus far. The justification you provide about the "ballet" aspect of the visual program is excellent justification for the colorguard, but not for the visual design as a whole. Personally, I have no problem with them not moving at break-neck speeds; I haven't ever felt that was a necessity in any program and ultimately think it is detrimental to move fast for the sake of moving fast.

The problem I DO have with their visual design is that what movement they do doesn't fully engage the audience for the entirety of the show. (Yes, I realize they scored higher in Visual GE than in Music GE, but you'll also notice that the disparity in Visual GE than in Music GE between them and The Cavaliers and Blue Devils). Until the end where they VERY effectively set up the drill in the percussion feature, the company-front, and the subsequent fade to softness afterward, they almost might as well be a regular orchestra (i.e. parked in one position). There is a wide disparity in what they are doing in the first half of the show visually and the second half. Put another way to incorporate the language your concern, I feel like they aren't risking anything in the first half of the show, which explains why they aren't being rewarded for it, but they ARE risking it in the secoind half and ARE being rewarded for it. If they create more balance between the two halves of the show, then I feel there show will be much more appreciated.

Hmmm. I agree with you in saying that their drill for the first half (more like 3/4, actually) doesn't engage the audience as much as the second portion. But in terms of fitting with the theme, flow, and original intent of the music/show, does it work? In my opinion.... yes, but I understand that that is solely my opinion. But this brings up the age-old question of what is more important: pleasing the audience/judges with what they want to see, or having drill that works with the show and music. Now, I know one could skew that whole analogy by saying "but their drill doesn't work with the music", and I understand that. But in my opinion, it does.

In my opinion, I think the extent of their risks transcend just the drill. With the number of shows recently that are "classic-in-your-face-drum-corps", even if SCV had an extremely aggressive drill book, they would still be taking a huge risk with the music. So yeah, their drill might not be as effective as one would hope (in someone else's opinion... in my opinion, it works), but I think they are taking risks musically and design wise, outside of the drill.

I guess we'll see with time how that plays out!

Outstanding review. I would never have guessed you were only 19 if you hadn't said so. Impressive command of the shows & how they work & need improvement. A good read, too!

Harvey

Thank you very much!

If I was a band director at a major program, I would be attempting to find out this kids contact info to stash in my BlackBerry until he graduates.

Great review.

:) Thank you! Thanks to you, I may have just gotten a few great contacts in the near future! ;)

Great review. Enjoyed it.

Great review. Enjoyed it.

Thanks!

Anyways (this is directed toward everyone)- I'm really excited to see how things shake up this weekend! All the corps I saw last Saturday at Drums Along the Rockies were really strong, so I think it will make for an interesting weekend.