Open Class Semifinals

So I just took a look at who's heading out to indy, and saw 19 corps. But then I noticed one of them is Blue Saints, who aren't coming out this year...

Meaning there's 18 corps.

and 17 will go to semifinals...

Am I the only one that thinks that kinda sucks? Normally I'm all about earning your spots and such, but are we really going to send ONE corps home without getting to play in the big stadium?

I think we should open semi's for 18 corps. So the judges will need to get there 15 minutes earlier, so what?? As someone working with a corps that just barely made semi's last year, it's SO COOL for the kids to get to play in the big house, even if it is the "butt-crack" of dawn (we started our warmup in the dark...and walked on the field just after sunrise!!)

Whoever ends up being in that 18th spot...Come on DCI (I'm looking at you Dan Acheson), they're forking over all the money and effort and sweat to haul themselves to indiana, let 'em play another show!

Regardless, I think it would kind of stink sending only two corps home, too...

The number 18 & 19 corps are performing in exhibition at Friday's Semifinals.

Mike

I honestly wonder how many fans are going to be there that early in the morning...

I'm not saying its a bad idea. I can see the perks in it but it won't be the full experience and that's kind of a bummer.

Edited by Crassissimo

Having marched in the early morning before, I can say it is a bit of a bummer when there isn't much of a crowd but getting a chance to permorm where the "BIG BOYS" play is exiting and a great way to end the season regardless of placement. At least IMO

Even performing in the better performance times, Open Class doesn't draw a very large crowd unfortunately. I performed in the 7th place position time slot last year at open class finals and while the crowd was actually pretty good size it still seems very small because of the large size of the stadium. And really 7th place wouldn't technically be classified as a "better performance time" but I guess the point is that even at open class finals (at least last year) the crowd doesn't even come close to being half the size of world class.