Bridgemen

Went for a ride down to Bayonne yesterday. Hadn't been down in a while for a lot of reasons, none of which had to do with the corps (couple of surgeries and some work things). Had a couple of reflections:

Like one or two other "alumni" corps I've experienced, I can't help but wonder "what if" a corps like Bayonne took the membership it had and went back to the field with a vengeance. I know it's like asking what if lemons became strawberries, or in this case if bananas became something else, but they are so talented and work so hard and so well. With good numbers (approx 50 horns for an "optional" rehearsal) and a pile of talent - wouldn't that shake up the DCA?

This is what happens when you're driving home for 6 hours - too much day (or in this case night) dreaming.

Man did they put in a good work day yesterday. They've crossed that mythical line that some "alumni" corps get stuck at. Some corps work at "doing" a corps' act. Sort of like "doing the Ishkapippy Cadets" but never actually get to BE the (fill in the blank for mythical corps name).

This group IS the Bridgemen.

My other impression - the main brass guy, whose name I will leave out as I don't have his permission to write it here, is there at rehearsal like 2 weeks after MAJOR surgery (not going to describe it for the same reason as I'm leaving his name out.) I mean a scar from one side to the other - probably lost 3 lbs just in parts!!! Does the 6 hour rehearsal... the only concession is he'll say to someone else (in this case me) "go yell at the contras." "make the baris play less legato."

Probably hurts to yell.

Right at the moment the guy has joined my list of drum corps tough guy heroes, albeit anonymously...

He's in the right city for it...

Couldn't be there yesterday Ray. Thank you for the wonderful write up of rehearsal and of "He who shall remain nameless" and truly how wonderful he is.

:laughing:

Yes , thanks for the kind words Ray. We all love our Brass Guy too.

It gives me chills too think about what we could do with maybe two or three more rehearsals.

Maybe another show or two thrown into the mix.

If you can't get enough of the Bridgemen you can see them at the Hurricanes home show August 29 in Bridgeport CT.

Couldn't be there yesterday Ray. Thank you for the wonderful write up of rehearsal and of "He who shall remain nameless" and truly how wonderful he is.

:laughing:

Yes, Ray...

He has done an amazing job with our brass this year, while dealing with quite a few MAJOR obstacles!

He's one TOUGH, and DEDICATED GUY!

We are very fortunate to have him as our Brass Guy! He really "knows his stuff", and he has made things fun, as well!

And, it was also great to have YOU back in the fold yesterday! You contributed a lot toward making the rehearsal a lot of fun, (you're too funny, glad I don't have to play...wouldn't be able to stop laughing!) and you also helped make it very productive!

The Bridgemen are very fortunate to have both of you on our staff!

If you can't get enough of the Bridgemen you can see them at the Hurricanes home show August 29 in Bridgeport CT.

Thanks, Charles!

The Bridgemen are very excited about joining the Hurricane's Show in Bridgeport!!!

We are really looking forward to returning to Connecticut!!!

See you there!

Jim J

Yes, Ray...

He has done an amazing job with our brass this year, while dealing with quite a few MAJOR obstacles!

He's one TOUGH, and DEDICATED GUY!

We are very fortunate to have him as our Brass Guy! He really "knows his stuff", and he has made things fun, as well!

And, it was also great to have YOU back in the fold yesterday! You contributed a lot toward making the rehearsal a lot of fun, (you're too funny, glad I don't have to play...wouldn't be able to stop laughing!) and you also helped make it very productive!

The Bridgemen are very fortunate to have both of you on our staff!

You have to read this in a Joe Peschi "Goodfellows" voice - "So, whattayou sayin'? I amuse you? Like I'm here to make you laugh, like some kinda clown?"

I loved that scene. Just don't push it.. next thing you know - badda bing (as if that's never happened down by 16th Street)

:tongue:

Went for a ride down to Bayonne yesterday. Hadn't been down in a while for a lot of reasons, none of which had to do with the corps (couple of surgeries and some work things). Had a couple of reflections:

Like one or two other "alumni" corps I've experienced, I can't help but wonder "what if" a corps like Bayonne took the membership it had and went back to the field with a vengeance. I know it's like asking what if lemons became strawberries, or in this case if bananas became something else, but they are so talented and work so hard and so well. With good numbers (approx 50 horns for an "optional" rehearsal) and a pile of talent - wouldn't that shake up the DCA?

This is what happens when you're driving home for 6 hours - too much day (or in this case night) dreaming.

Man did they put in a good work day yesterday. They've crossed that mythical line that some "alumni" corps get stuck at. Some corps work at "doing" a corps' act. Sort of like "doing the Ishkapippy Cadets" but never actually get to BE the (fill in the blank for mythical corps name).

This group IS the Bridgemen.

My other impression - the main brass guy, whose name I will leave out as I don't have his permission to write it here, is there at rehearsal like 2 weeks after MAJOR surgery (not going to describe it for the same reason as I'm leaving his name out.) I mean a scar from one side to the other - probably lost 3 lbs just in parts!!! Does the 6 hour rehearsal... the only concession is he'll say to someone else (in this case me) "go yell at the contras." "make the baris play less legato."

Probably hurts to yell.

Right at the moment the guy has joined my list of drum corps tough guy heroes, albeit anonymously...

He's in the right city for it...

-----------------------------------------

From the hornline perspective.......... I have to say that is what makes the alumni version so wonderful..... I feel like I am competing with myself to get better. I think there are lots of us that feel that way.........

Plus and no offense to the "work" ethic, they are the funnest bunch of bananas to be with.

As to the horn instructor - - he is a good egg and having done the surgery thing less than six months ago and still paying the price for trying to play and march to early......... I know what it takes for him to do what he does. Hip, Hip, Hooray, Hip, Hip, Hooray.... and you guys know the rest.

I have said many times and will repeat here - - I am honored to do what it is we do, with the group we have year after year.... they are the best that drum corps brings to the field. Bar none.

LOVE

BLONDIE

Charlie,

You little publicity whore!

Did you pay for an ad in the TOS book?

I'm guessing not.

Free pub or no pub...

some things never change.

I expect that the crowd will love them and thank you so much, Charlie, Bernie, Bob, Jim, et al for giving the corps the opportunity to perform at this year's Fanfare! :tongue: