One Fan's plea...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because corps of late (Cavies, BD, Cadets etc) have won back 2 back titles, and some Three3Peats... it's illogical to expect the same of others. Phantom Regiment is doing what they want & how. Yes I agree "it" the theme --- could be presented a bit better, it will come and i hope the audiance grasps it finals week.

I do not think they will win - but I do not think they will fall from the top 10 either!

The following are my own opinions and don't represent anything beyond that...

As to this backlash....When I first went out on tour with this drum corps this summer, to be perfectly honest, I too was a little disappointed with how the show was failing to connect with the audience. I didn't see it as a performance problem. I saw it as a design concern, and I also saw that the design team was fully aware of it and working to resolve it. I know how much the experience of the corps members means to them, and about how much the show they give the members to perform is a part of building that positive experience. They were on task, and remain so, in meeting that demand. If the changes to the second movement are any indication, this is much ado about nothing. I went from concerned to blissful about the second movement in a couple days. is the show dirty? yes, they need to clean, of course. Is it awful? Did the design crew lay an egg? Are they coming in 10th? Get a grip, please.

I take exception to this, and to any other vitriol from so-called phans that feel the best way to improve the corps is to batter it.

Of course it isn't awful. to the contrary. This show has taken my initial confusion and molded it into something almost humbling. This is not the Spartacus Phantom Regiment. They are their own group. What this show is becoming is something quite beautiful--eloquent, reserved, almost anti-Spartacus. It's every bit Regiment, but like comparing the dark side of the moon to Spartacus's angry sun. And the corps itself is handling the program better every day. There are parts of the program that are lump-in-the-throat, welling with tears beautiful. I don't count our defending champs out of anything. Not ever. They're always champs with us. Where time and consideration is invested, the show rewards the listener/viewer. I found the show to be edge-of-the-seat engaging. Riveting. Not a "DIE!" scream fest, but something more akin to anxiousness. A low boil underneath the surface--you know they could tear your face off, but they are holding back somehow. And that just makes it more interesting to watch, for the moment, until they uncork a new ending or something. :-)

My default has always been I couldn't care less where the corps places as long as they become the best Phantom Regiment possible. that would have been the case last year if they'd come in 2nd or 10th or wherever. And this year, they are on pace to meet that awesome responsibility of taking on their legacy and becoming part of our heritage. no matter where the judges place them. As for fans, where the show isn't connecting yet...give it time. This might be one of those shows you like better in a few years...who knows? But do give it a chance now, if you haven't.

So, please be advised that this great group of kids will continue to tear it up and perform this show for you the rest of the season. Don't let DCP taint your viewing of it. Don't go in expecting Spartacus--just go with the corps and see where they take you. It's quite a journey.

I don't understand the criticisms that imply that playing music that the crowd doesn't know is inherently bad.

I absolutely guarantee that most people in the stands had never heard a lot of what Phantom played last year, either. I believe it matters less whether or not you know the music, and more whether or not it works.

Or maybe Tjeknavorian is more of a household name than I knew...or Ginastera's piano concertos are more popular than I thought.

Chris I agree to a point. I was the first to be critical of the show for the design flaws and music. My first viewing placed them in 7th come finals. My opinion was that no matter what cleaning was done the show could not overcome the flaws.

I had hoped that the layering would overcome that but rewrites have taken over.

I cannot speak from design experience when it comes to a drum corp show as my only experience is from a business perspective. I call it vision.

Could the staff and designers see the end result or final product? This is where the error (IMO) has occured.

In my opinion this is all about a failed plan and not about execution.

It reminds me of the Muscial artist who experiences success and then decides they are ready to do there own music and not listen to their label. it screams of the "we don't have to prove ourselves anymore."

In the business world the prove yourself mentality is essential to daily success and should be applied in running a DCI world class corp! Phantom has it down when it comes to Brass and percussion, now it needs to be applied to the design staff, and colorguard! Only if it is applied to everyone will they be consistant.

I can only assume that when they made the colorguard change they didn't take that into account. He wasn't a part of the New Phantom 2003-2008 and wasn't a part of the New philosophy. The Designer got it right last year but is way off the mark this year.

My thoughts for the under performing design and color guard departments next year....Don't bring me an inferior product.

When you think the best and expect the best, you become the best!

My thoughts for the under performing design and color guard departments next year....Don't bring me an inferior product.

When you think the best and expect the best, you become the best!

I'm withholding comment until I see the final product, but yes, I agree with your core argument. Start from excellence and proceed from there.

Please Phantom Regiment, please clean, clean, clean! And work on that visual! And colorguard? Work VERY hard. I just can't stand seeing my beloved Regiment continue to plummet down the standings. When it's all said and done, where do you think they will finish?

My feeling right now is as high as 5 and as low as 10. Urgh.

The word is salvage. PR will perform the heck out of what they have come August and still have a respectable year. Maybe not where you fans would like them.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I don't understand the criticisms that imply that playing music that the crowd doesn't know is inherently bad.

I absolutely guarantee that most people in the stands had never heard a lot of what Phantom played last year, either. I believe it matters less whether or not you know the music, and more whether or not it works.

Or maybe Tjeknavorian is more of a household name than I knew...or Ginastera's piano concertos are more popular than I thought.

I was going to say the same thing (just hadn't gotten around to looking up the spelling of those "household names").