Diabetes

My son is doing great thank you. Getting an insulin pump has been a real blessing for him.

After aging out (11 years ago) he finished college, has become a successful band director,

and has instructed drum corps for 11 years. T1D has not stopped him from doing what he loves.

Again, nothing but best wishes for your son!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, 27SOA said:

Soooooo.... 8 months later.  Ryan is marching Euphonium with the Spirit of Atlanta this summer.  It appeared he had tabled the thought of marching 2017, but when a spot opened up at Spirit (where both his father and I marched in the 80's) last weekend, he wanted an opportunity to audition for the spot.  And now it's happening.

I marched with the current Director and Asst. Director and they want to do all they can to welcome my son, even with the special concerns.  A great medical staff has me feeling like this can work.  Does it mean I'm not going to worry?  I'm a Mom.  I don't think it's possible!

My wish is to come back on here in mid-August and report that it was an awesome summer for him with little incident!

btw, I'm not sure I had read the 2009 posts on this thread until today.... THANKS to all you who shared your experiences!!

:innocent:

Yes, after all the great advice in this thread, please do come back after finals and give us an update.  Blessings & joy to Ryan - and good health!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 27SOA said:

Soooooo.... 8 months later.  Ryan is marching Euphonium with the Spirit of Atlanta this summer.  It appeared he had tabled the thought of marching 2017, but when a spot opened up at Spirit (where both his father and I marched in the 80's) last weekend, he wanted an opportunity to audition for the spot.  And now it's happening.

I marched with the current Director and Asst. Director and they want to do all they can to welcome my son, even with the special concerns.  A great medical staff has me feeling like this can work.  Does it mean I'm not going to worry?  I'm a Mom.  I don't think it's possible!

My wish is to come back on here in mid-August and report that it was an awesome summer for him with little incident!

btw, I'm not sure I had read the 2009 posts on this thread until today.... THANKS to all you who shared your experiences!!

:innocent:

awesome.  and having the corps admin step up like that is a great feeling when you're sending your kid on the road all summer.   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Update:

Ryan went to Spring Training and began the long demanding days.  I volunteered with the food crew (my God, what it takes to feed 150+ kids 4 times a day!) over the weekend so I was near.

He jumped right in and kept up with drill and brass demands.  I noticed as the days went on that he looked troubled.  Most rookies don't have a clue how demanding Spring Training is...until they're in it.  My son was learning THAT fact, as well as two new things to address.... new dietary concepts, and new physical demand concepts.  He began to question his ability to put a long term effort into it at 16.  Managing Type 1 (notice I didn't say "control", since it is impossible!) is a daily challenge, when circumstances aren't further challenged with intense physical demands and meals that one isn't used to.  

After much soul searching, he came to the conclusion that it just isn't the right time for him (luckily there was a Euphonium alternate, although not on lead, like my son).  Emotionally ready, physically ready, but not MEDICALLY ready for such an undertaking...yet.  With six opportunities to march, he decided that waiting a couple of years might be best (he graduates high school in 2 years).

I'd like to add that the Chris Moore and Andy Poor (both friends of mine from the 80's) could not have been more caring and helpful, AND understanding that Ryan just can not safely take on the role this year.  I'm so proud that my former corps is in such good hands!!

Thanks to all of you who wished Ryan well.  He's not marching a summer of drum corps THIS year, but simply will have a "dream delayed".

• Like 5

• 1 year later...