DCI Founders

So,

When DCI was founded prior to the first championship in 1972, the founding members were a merger of UOJC in the east and the Western combine in the west. Not all of those groups made it to Whitewater and not all that did made it into finals.(I know :tongue: ) We had 7 "founders" in finals last year. If we go up to 8 this year, I think that would rock. This might require a tie score.

Edited by denverjohn

So,

When DCI was founded prior to the first championship in 1972, the founding members were a merger of UOJC in the east and the Western combine in the west. Not all of those groups made it to Whitewater and not all that did made it into finals.(I know :tongue: ) We had 7 "founders" in finals last year. If we go up to 8 this year, I think that would rock. This might require a tie score.

I know what you mean! I was a member of a DCI Founder corps....Blue Rock of Wilmington, DE. We did not attend DCI Championships in 1972 and it was the beginning of the end for Blue Rock! In 1973 we were no where near the Top 12 and in 1974 we missed frinals by less than a point!

I would love to see as many former Finalists come back as possible! My list of corps I would LOVE to see in competition again include:

Blue Rock

Bridgemen

27th Lancers

Suncoast Sound

Mariners

Commodores

Bleu Raiders

Guardsmen

Des Plaines Vanguard

I NEED SOME HELP HERE FOLKS!

PLEASE, ADD TO MY INCOMPLETE LIST!

RON (failing memory) GUNN

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

But, Ron, a better story wouldn't involve DCI in 1973 at all.

My question is how wet did you get at US Open? :tongue:

Garry in Vegas

I was 14 years old in '73, at the show in Marion with my band, standing soaked to the skin, screaming my head off as Madison blew us off the back of the bleachers. It was the first time I'd seen water bounce on drum heads and, in the shadow of the stadium lights, was the most incredible effect I'd ever seen. The next year I was marching. Hail to the Open! (R.I.P.) :spitting:

So,

When DCI was founded prior to the first championship in 1972, the founding members were a merger of UOJC in the east and the Western combine in the west. Not all of those groups made it to Whitewater and not all that did made it into finals.(I know :spitting: ) We had 7 "founders" in finals last year. If we go up to 8 this year, I think that would rock. This might require a tie score.

Could you post a list of the founding corps who are still in competition?

Could you post a list of the founding corps who are still in competition?

Lemme give this a try:

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Stars

Cavaliers

Troopers

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

And I did that from memory! ####, I'm old.

Edited by bearz

a few others

Royal Crusaders from 75 finals

and one of my favorite drum lines of all time - Etobicoke Crusaders who had high drums in prelims in 77 but the corps didn't make finals.

and I guess you can add the Kilties and Kingsmen since they aren't a jr corps anymore.

Edited by Tupac

Lemme give this a try:

Blue Devils

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Stars

Cavaliers

Troopers

Phantom Regiment

Madison Scouts

And I did that from memory! ####, I'm old.

Weren't Garfield Cadets and Velvet Knights founding members? Or was that the following year?

Thirteen corps were charter members of DCI: Anaheim Kingsmen, Argonne Rebels, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Blue Rock, Blue Stars, Boston Crusaders, Cavaliers, De La Salle Oaklands, Garfield Cadets, Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard, Troopers and 27th Lancers.

Here's the 13 founding DCI corps:

Cavaliers

Troopers

Madison Scouts

Blue Stars

Santa Clara Vanguard

Garfield Cadets

27th Lancers

Boston Crusaders

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

Blue Rock

Kingsmen