Are still cameras still allowed at the shows?

There used to be a page on this at DCI.org--if it's still there, I couldn't find it. In the (fairly recent) past, they allowed still cameras as long as they weren't "professional" and you didn't publish your pics. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Well its my first trip this year to a DCI show and I asked one of my friends about that rule, and he said that they dont allow any camera's into the stadium. ill still have mine in my pocket to keep it from being stolen, but I think he ment it aslong as you dont have it out they wont take it from you, im not sure, but thats what I was told.

i took tons of pictures as well as others. what about people sending them on twitter that would be against it but nothings happened. I dont think that there is a rule anymore. or just sneak it inits not like they have people from dci walking around taking cameras away.

There used to be a page on this at DCI.org--if it's still there, I couldn't find it. In the (fairly recent) past, they allowed still cameras as long as they weren't "professional" and you didn't publish your pics. Anyone know if this is still the case?

I think it is still ok. DCI is a bit more concerned about video IMO.

Well, Im goin to the mufreesboro show both days next week, I dont want to film the whole show, I just want to takea small clip of Crown doing the dancing part :blink: thats about all I want to do, you think they would get to mad about that? Im trying to get alot a footage of corps practicing and a couple short 30 sec clips of like crown doing the dancing or something like that, to keep for my personel deal, and to show my trumpet section in order to inspire them to do great things this year. My first year going to an actual live show (been saving up allllllll summer) so I dont want to spend all my time taking pictures and trying to video tape, just a few small sections I want, you dont think they'd be to upset about that?

I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to take still photos. It's the audio/video recordings that they frown upon because the official CD's and DVD's are used for fund raising.

I won't be surprised if they ban all cameras in the near future. Just about every camera including SLRs are equipped with HD video recording. Wouldn't want the VOD site to be upstaged.

I couldn't find anything on the website either. You could email them and maybe you'll get a response.

I haven't seen any updates, but last I heard, still cameras with lenses 6.0" in fully extended length or less (a dollar bill) have been allowed in recent years as long as the photos are for your private use only. You can only photograph from your seat, not standing in the aisle during a show, not from field level without a DCI pass. No tripods. No monopods. These are DCI's general rules. Individual stadiums can have their own rules which are stricter.

Etiquette requires some additional customs in the stands. Flashes only show that you're stupid; they will not illuminate the field unless you're in the first three rows or so, but will cause your shot to be underexposed and will also annoy your neighbors, so disable your flash and set a fast ISO such as 800 or higher so no flash is needed. And should be obvious, but in case it's not, don't disturb your neighbors by standing up during a show just to take a photo when nobody else is standing up or by making your camera go click-click-click during the quiet serene moment in the show (the photographer's equivalent of yelling "CRYSTALLLLLL!" or "Freebird") or somebody may beat you senseless at the next break if not before.

Edited by Peel Paint